• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Nah, im open minded but also analytical. I get the "better to have it it and when you need it" argument to an extent. So i suppose its like insurance in a way.

I suppose part of it comes from experience with poor road conditions in the winter where i found 4wd as nice but not necessary but im not experienced trying to pull a trailer out of a muddy field.

So ill accept the insurance argument, nice to have. But it does to me seem a luxury or a non-necessity for most.

I was raised in the country. I come from a farming family. A large south Texas farming family. Over the years while growing up I learned to drive tractors, shoot guns, watch 4leggeds being born, slaughtered animals for the holiday dinner, pulled headers, flat trailers & fuel tanks, got stuck in wet south texas clay, had to pull out stucks, played on the terrain when we went out to the hunting lease, hauled loads of firewood, gone grocery shopping and drove to Sunday church, all while traveling in the same vehicle, Dad's truck. Our oldest, fondest and most vivid memories of our childhood (my sister and I reminisce) is riding in Dad's truck as we did all these things. All we had in our family is 4wd trucks. Even mom who is a teacher. Her truck needed to be able to do work too in case she was in a situation or another truck was unavailable. We drove trucks because they are the best all around tool for us. They do the best job day to day, in every living situation to get work done, to play and generally, to live.

Fast forward to me today. I don't live in the country (but I'm clawing like hell to get back). The way I was raised colors my preferences and the long game of our goals in life and the things we want and work towards today. I have never owned a car. My vehicle is and always will always be a 4wd truck. Dad taught us how to drive in his trucks (always 4wd). The vehicles we drove through high school were the family trucks. We drive 4wd trucks, period. My parents still do. My sisters do. We are a truck family. They get stuff done. They are our preference. (Heck I'd go as far to say I think every household should have a 4wd truck in their driveway).

After I graduated college, married and left home to embark on my new life with my Navy husband. I had my truck. We lived in the PNW. Not a lot of snow there but it wasn't South Texas, that's for sure. My husband vehicle was a Tahoe. Both 4wds. From there we PCSd to northern Japan where terrain is mountainous and averaged 10-12' snow/year. Ice on the ground 6mths out of the year. I didn't have my truck anymore. No personal POVs allowed so I had to sell my truck, and his. I cried. Mine wasn't just a truck and neither was the one it replaced. The trucks were a part of my life and they were a part of my family's life. They contained many memories. We viewed life through those windshields and sitting in those seats.

In Japan I drove a 4wd diesel. I used 4wd in snow and ice. I pretty much popped the Tcase in 4hi and that's where it stayed for months on end unless it was an unusually clear section of road. My truck was the "good vehicle" for all around Japan travel with our dog while my husband drove a little 4wd commuting to work. BTW, the stuff and ice and sliding and driving with a 4wd, they're all true. After driving in those conditions for three years I learned, 1. a 4wd does offer better traction, particularly in low speed and tighter more precise areas such your parking area, when leaving a spot and you are more likely to be piled in or going over ruts and road clear mounds, or stop & go traffic on iced streets. 2. You do slide in 4wd. If you are sliding in 4wd, you sure as heck were sliding in 2wd. 3. 4wd IS a benefit and offers better control in more situations than 2wd. It allows 4 corners of grip so that a lower RPM, slower speed and less momentum must be used in areas where there may be parked cars, infrastructure, or pedestrians. It is safer and offer more control. In 2wd you have to apply gas to use momentum which increases the risk of losing control because the drive wheels are spinning. 4. 4wd does not mean you get to drive faster. It does mean you have better control during steering input and maneuvering because you have more points of drive traction that can be utilized. If you are driving too fast for conditions, you're driving too fast for conditions. 2 or 4wd won't matter. Having experienced living in severe icy and snowy condition for three years, I will always use a 4wd in those conditions and use an appropriate speed.

We PCSed back to Texas. And now here. I have a 4wd diesel truck again. I live within city limits of a suburban community within a large metroplex area. But it isn't the be all end all of who I am. I still do the things I did like I was raised, and will do them until the day I die. I'm experienced in handling a truck in various weather conditions and various terrain. I don't use my truck tow anything unless it is impromptu. I do still haul a load of firewood when I run low. The truck still hauls whatever needs hauling in a truck bed. It still goes to get groceries. It is my daily driver. It's paid off. It is maintained and taken care of. I love my truck. It will when the time comes carry kids. And they'll love it. Family and friends kids call it "the monster truck!" and they enjoy it. They should. I loved riding in my Dad's truck when I was a kid. I've got a lot of living to do and the current city living situation is not the end state.

BC, you said you wanted to understand. So the most I could give you to help you do that is all this I just typed out. For me, it isn't all about specs as to what I drive. My upbringing has influenced what I want to drive. The family traditions, the brand preferences, and generally "the way we do things". Those are things can't be measured.

Some of the more measurable characteristics - I like that my truck is bigger and taller than cars. It lets me have a great field of view. I'm able to spot traffic conditions and anticipate my moves before I become wrapped in an accident or condition. I'm only 5'3" and always the short one in the group, perhaps being "tall" in my truck is the way I get a cheap thrill lol I like having a truck bed to haul stuff. Never been without that capability and I place a high value on it. I like that 4wd offers more terrain capability. Even down to a condition as measly as wet grass, as common as needing to unload landscape materials by backing onto a nice front lawn to get to the drop area or to the back yard. Being in 4hi does not tear up the grass like 2wd does. In 2wd mashing the go pedal to get moving when stuck spins the drive tire(s) until they tear up the surface enough to find traction. That damages lawns. In 4hi, a little go pedal and added lower torque of the tcase ratio give the truck an advantage to climb out without tearing down to dirt. The reason is you have 4 points of contact making the pull instead of 1 or 2 in the case of LSD rears or FWD cars. You don't necessarily have the same coefficient of traction at all four points. There is the advantage. Perhaps the front wheels are on a solid surface with traction while the rear are in the wet surface. The fronts will pull and offer enough drive to exit the lawn without tearing down the grass and burning mud tracks. Now when I want to go tear up dirt and have fun I get to do that too. I'm a country girl so I have done my share of taking my truck through the mud. 4wd does give you more mud to wash off (disadvantage!). And on the offroad topic, we do still go out hunting. The truck needs to be capable the minimum of driving down easy dirt road as you enter the front gate of the property (no 4wd needed) or get through the worst section way at the back after a soaking rain that has the washouts at the foot of the steep hill peppered and uneven basketball sized or bigger boulders and slick mud.

Anyway, I'd put my skill and knowledge of handling a 4wd truck up against anybody's. My truck is not a race car and I don't drive it as such. My truck is not a demolition derby ride, as much as I'd love it to be on the roadways these days. My truck is an extension of who I am. It is capable. It is a tool. It can handle the heavy, the dirty, the ugly and the fun. But it carries precious cargo rather comfortably and in my opinion and experience, rather warm and fondly. I'm proud of the truck I drive and the trucks I've driven. I will always have a 4wd truck because that's the kind of life I live. If folks don't see them necessary, that's ok. You have your life, I have mine. Hope you have gained some insight to why I drive a truck.
    Military Camp

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    A discussion about why so many drive 4wd vehicles in Texas when most dont really use the capabilities is pointless? Got it. Next time ill start a 9 vs 40 vs 45 thread, those are much more productive?

Also why comment if you think the thread is pointless?

I didnt even get into the deeper psychology of why people drive what they do and people are already upset.

I think my background is insight. My upbringing is extremely common in Texas. I'm sure many folks on the road today have similar paths and motivations.

With your last comment about upset people, it sounds like your deeper psychology was going to be inflammatory and insulting. Am I offbase?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A discussion about why so many drive 4wd vehicles in Texas when most dont really use the capabilities is pointless?

Yes

Got it. Next time ill start a 9 vs 40 vs 45 thread, those are much more productive?

not really, but you would still get what you want

To give you what you want

I didnt even get into the deeper psychology of why people drive what they do and people are already upset.

How could you possibly have any clue on the "deeper psychology" you claim exists. You have already admitted you have no idea why anyone owns a 4WD and I seriously doubt you have a degree in psychology of any kind. That would be like Feinstein talking about guns and shoulder thingies that flip up.

We get it, you don't like them and you don't think others should have them with out your approval of their reasoning but you won't just say it because you don't want to be called a liberal even though you have a very liberal stance on this subject. You don't cover it well, similar to someone saying "I'm not anti-gun, but why do people need <insert gun> when they will probably never use it".

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Sometimes being "analytical" can be a detriment to using common sense and is often used as an excuse for a cover-up of opinions that are already in place. I've read several posts in different threads by folks on here trying to use the analytical "argument" to justify what they're saying as perfectly sensible. Being analytical can also be described as "over-thinking" something to the point that minor, insignificant details now have way too much importance.

TRIXXTERR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Bertram,Tx Burnet,Tx
    I have a 95 Tahoe that is Only time I drive it is to keep the battery and fluids good, or I'm going out to my mom's property that is down a goat trail on a side of a steep hill. Or hauling firewood. So I guess I would fall into the category of I actually USE IT, seeing as that's the ONLY time it gets driven. Otherwise it sits in my driveway, ugly old thing, paints faded worn in spots, 258,xxx miles,been rode hard and pit away wet, but gets the job done.

I agree w the others, the pavement queen 4wd trucks are just someone trying to FEEL important or special..

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Gotta say.....my Jeep is a "just cuz I can". It's what I wanted.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    A discussion about why so many drive 4wd vehicles in Texas when most dont really use the capabilities is pointless? Got it. Next time ill start a 9 vs 40 vs 45 thread, those are much more productive?

I already commented multiple times but you're too absorbed in yourself to notice.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Trucks give you the independence to be a do it yourself kinda person, to haul or tow just about anything and having 4WD is a great option. If you can't get it the truck better atleast have a posi or a locker.

Anywho, Don't you guys get tired of the people that always ask for help?
    I don't mind helping family or friends pick stuff up or move it but I found myself helping friends of friends and people I didn't even know, and I found myself quite busy because I was one of few around with a pickup truck.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008

Also why c.omment if you think the thread is pointless?

I didnt even get into the deeper psychology of why people drive what they do and people are already upset

Is that important to you?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The bottom line is that it is none of your business what anyone else drives.

Let me ask YOU why you are so concerned about what others drive? This is not your first thread.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Why? First...yes i get that in 'Merica we can buy what we want whether we need it or not.

Dont run me over in your lifted 4x4 with huge steel bumpers while im zipping around in my small car...K? Thanks!

Yes we can buy what we want :)

Dont get in the way and you wont get run over.

Get over it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Dont have time to respond to each attack, insult and question.

Ive listed out the reasons why people own 4wd trucks here in Tx. Necessity, "insurance" or luxury/image.

Most of you responded civily and i thank you for that. Your reasonable responses helped me understand "why" a bit better.

We have a deep car culture here in the US and id argue even more so here in Texas. I understand for many a car or truck really represents a lot of things and its a sensitive subject.

Im off to wax the Prius!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I think the negative posts came from a little "hint" in the way you presented the questions and responded to the answers in kind of a "look down your nose" attitude. You may not have meant it that way but never-the-less, it came across. Personally, my family has three entirely differ kinds of vehicles (one truck) with each used for different purposes. Just my two bits.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like all them big trucks are makin somebody feel a little insecure.....

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sounds like the whole thing got personal. Both sides.

If I have to tell you, you wouldnt understand, ya know?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Understand what .......? ............................................................... :roflfunny:

I guess I'm just too old to give a rat's ass what my vehicle means to anybody else, and way too old to be trying to "make a statement". :banana::banana:

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hah! Just as I thought! :facepalm:

Threw in a laugh. Some were getting too serious and connect who they are to what they own.

Me jealous/insecure? I choose to spend my money in other ways that some of you may not "get" and for me a truck would be a total luxury so i dont have one.

Yall go enjoy your big silly trucks and relax.

Hey can someone help me move? I dont have a truck.

Top Bottom