• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I bought a pair of 5.11 tactical pants yesterday at GT distributors I will leave the size I chose out because I'm writing this and I can. They are made of "8.8 oz 100% cotton canvas" at first you will pick them up and think that they are very heavy, and they are but they are very comfortable to wear. I got the black so I could wear them as my uniform pants and get away with it. I have been wearing them all day no complaints at all.

The rear slash pockets seem kind of ... oober at first. When they are on the shelf you just think "wow people walk around in this stuff" and I almost didn't buy them. But I decided to give them a try on. I did and they didn't look bad at all. I rather like them after almost a full day on the job in 100 degree weather I still like them.

The rest of the pockets (and there are 5) are quite well located. The spare mag/cell phone pocket fits my W 490 pretty good and I can still get it out of the pocket when the phone rings. My mag's fit like a glove to, getting the mag out in a hurry would be problematic in my opinion tho. Maybe with practice I could become faster at it. The cargo pockets stay flat and almost invisible to someone looking at your pants. I have a can of snuff in mine and you can't see the Ring, and the pocket still appears to stay pretty flat. I went home and put my whole uniform on before I took the tags off to see how it looked. It looked good so I put my gun belt on with them to see if I could reach the pockets. I could actually get my keys out of my right hip pocket with my duty belt on. That was amazing to me. I could gain access to all my pockets without any trouble at all.

The waist line is a god send if you are wearing your gun. The belt loops are big comfortable ones that seem to help keep the gear on my duty belt in the same spot and it seems more comfortable than the regular Issue pants. I feel that it helps position the duty belt on the waist and off the small of your back. On the hips there are elastic sections that are very comfortable and help keep a tight professional appearance.
    And finally the legs. The knee section has a double knee.( a reinforced knee) You can buy knee pads that fit in between the two layers to add knee pads to the pants for protection in a rough environment that you might slip or have to Aguirre a kneeling shooting position. And some times you can get a promotional plus and get free 5.11 belts, knee pads and hats with your purchase. I like the pants and will buy more. The pants are comfortable, functional and seem to be durable but only time will tell if they are durable or not.

Sorry for the crappy generic pics it is all I could find of the pants and the knee pads.
    Capitol Armory ad

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've been looking at those pants, I think I'm gonna order me a pair, but my size doesn't come pre hemmed so I gotta go somewhere locally

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think they are the ones that originally came up with the design concept. I think, I could be wrong.
    I tried my hand at writing a product review. How did it turn out?

ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I love the 5.11 Pants...these are the only pants I bought in years. Most recent pair I bought was the Taclite Pro 5.11 Pants. They are perfect for the Houston Heat & Humidity...I also like the knife pocket the Taclite Pants have. However, TruSpec makes some pants that are called the 24/7 series...they look nice too and they have regular back pockets...I'll probably get a pair of those soon to try them out.

Sneakyabn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Pasadena
    Good review I may pick a pair up to try. I don't really like the 5.11 originals as the shrink alot and Im not thrilled with the huge back pockets.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Check out LAPoliceGear.com, they carry that and much more. I got an email today that they are having a 5.11 sale (up to 70% off) and as said earlier, they usually have delas where you can get free belts, etc, with purchases.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a pair of the TDU pants that I've used as range pants and tactical rifle match pants for about two years now. They're a different style than the OP bought; they lack the rear slash pockets, are made of ripstop and have an elastic waistband.

There are a lot of features I like: the cargo pockets are well-made and the "pocket inside a pocket" thing works well, and fits AK mags pretty nicely. The knee pads have saved me from pain at rifle matches more than once. The front slash pockets are deep and have reinforced seams so your knife's pocket clip won't wear your pants out as fast.

Only a couple of gripes: The size is on the small side. 34" pants are usually comfortably loose on my waist, but these are on the tight side and the elastic is maxed out. I'm not sure if it's normal for 5.11 to run on the small side of the spectrum or not (but you've been warned). The other is that the tan is a bit too light, IMO. It looks white after the sun goes down. That's only mattered to me once, though...

Overall good pants. They look good enough for casual daily wear, have resisted stains and my signature "sliding on my knees across the spent brass of other shooters as I shoot at targets" move for two years, and are decent in hot weather, partly thanks to the very light color. They do feel heavy as the OP noted, though.

Hillcountrygeezer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    If you like the 5.11 pants, but don't necessarily like having your wallet at the bottom of the deep, deep pockets, take a look at the Propper brand tactical pants. They have all of the features of the 5.11 plus the back slash pockets have a pocket in a pocket so you don't end up sitting on your wallet that has migrated down close to your knees. Also, Propper pants are about 10 bucks cheaper than the high price spread. I bought a couple of pair last week, and love them, even in the 100 degree temps we have been having.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Actually the 5.11 pants were once owned by Royal Robbins Outdoor Company. The FBI was the first to buy these cargo pants in bulk from these guys. They were so Popular the a new company formed called 5.11 Tactical.

Also +1 for the 5.11 Taclite Pro Pants. I replaced all my original cotton ones with these.

Covert53

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    5.11 pants, as I understand it, were originally designed for climbers. The back strap on the right hip is for carabiners (sp?). The name "5.11" in itself is a climbing reference term for severity of the climb. Somewhere along the way, the LE community starting using them and obviously have become extremely popular. So much so that these pants are identified with LE and not climbing.

Just my understanding...

BTW I have 4 pairs and absolutely love 'em.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    As far as being on the small side of things, I had to go a size smaller than I had originally thought. And the climbing thing does help explain the strap on my right side. I did notice a little fading with the first wash but nothing drastic. All in all I'm still happy with them as of right now. And Like I said a week ago this is the first time I have written a review of any kind, and I thank everyone for their feedback good or bad. I think I will get a lighter color to wear as an every day and range wear.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom