Join TexasGunTalk

5.3L LT motor oil catch can

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by pronstar, Jun 21, 2020.

1. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I had been dumping this thing out randomly, but I wanted to see exactly how much oil it has been collecting over time.

32e37c60fbce1a3ab2c951891b28fc12.jpg

After 5k miles...a lot more than I thought.

Time to install a catch can on Mrs Pronstar’s Suburban, because I don’t want this much crap going back into the intake on a DI motor (which is a terrible solution IMHO).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    That's oil blowing past the piston rings? What is it you're having to empty the oil out of?

3. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Changes the point of vacuum so oil isnt directed directly back into the intake stream as part of emissions. In direct injection or engines with an intercooler it helps keep valves free of deposits.

4. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    If oil blows past the rings you'll see it in the exhaust.

This is the oil mist and vapor generated in the crankcase. The LT motors also have piston oil squirters that direct oil to the bottom of the piston to cool them down. That causes a portion of the oil to boil off and that vapor is captured by the PCV, and that's in addition to the normal amount any motor generates as oil splashes off the crank onto the hotter parts of the rotating assembly.

SOP on basically every car on the planet is to pipe the PCV into the intake, and most people never notice the amount of oil that goes "missing" unless they look.

oldag and SQLGeek like this.
  5. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yeah it’s a mix of oil and water. When folks with DI engines have issues with intake-valve deposits, this is the source.

One of these days I’m gonna pull the intake manifold off and take a peek at how much crud has accumulated in the backside of my intake valves.

Some good info here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro