• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Everywhere I look they sale these as a combo die. So my question is if I use the same die for both calibers don’t I end up with all the cases being sized for .223 since there is a difference in the neck size between the two calibers? Which isn’t a big deal unless I’m being pick and want 5.56 sized cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I feel like I maybe asking a non issue question maybe. Or maybe the people in the know just haven’t read this question yet. Feel free to tell me it’s a non issue if it really is.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Exterior dimensions are the same for both. The 5.56 typically has thicker walls and less internal capacity which creates higher pressure. For the sake of reloading, you would want to reduce the charges for the 5.56 brass slightly when reloading if you were using a 223 recipe.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Otherwise, dies are the same. They will full length size brass the same regardless of whether it's 223 or 5.56. Bench rest shooters will sometimes measure internal case capacity before reloading just to create more consistent ammo but I don't bother and I get some pretty decent results just sorting by headstamp.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I learned something new.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    So I’m guessing then that the resizing die doesn’t do anything to the neck

Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Your resizing die pushes the neck back as well.
    Thus why you would use a case gauge to properly setup the die.
    Now here lies my inexperience.
    If you set up the die for .223 and gauge it, then run a .556 behind it will it gauge the same?
    I haven’t tried it to verify it so I don’t know.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As TexMex pointed out, the external dimensions of the cartridges are the same, but internally they can differ which can lead to differences in volume of powder they can hold.

Another difference is the chambers of the firearms can be somewhat different as well between the two cartridges. They are similar, but different enough that there is a minor difference between them.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    There really should be no discernable difference between the 2. Full length sizing dies are just that, they resize the neck to under .224" ID enough to create tension on a projectile. While also setting back the shoulder to specs.
    The warning about using 5.56 ammo in a 223 chamber is more about the chamber pressure and longer leade on 5.56 rifles. Once resized their only difference is their internal capacities.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I use both 5.56 and .223 brass to reload. No problems. With my target/varmint load they both shoot well under moa if I do my part.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Exterior dimensions are the same for both. The 5.56 typically has thicker walls and less internal capacity which creates higher pressure. For the sake of reloading, you would want to reduce the charges for the 5.56 brass slightly when reloading if you were using a 223 recipe.

Reloading manual fairy dust spread by writers with limited exposure and exaggerated experience way back whe . Plenty of brass marked 223 that has less capacity than brass marked 556 and many that are equal or greter. Go weigh (for sized brass, only difference is internal) a real sample size of brass across head stamps and you will see that there is significant variation despite headstamp caliber. Some brass is the same despite headstamp, imagine that, one casing design, two uses. Smart manufacturing for marketing purposes.

Point is, know your brass rather than use assumptions.

Top Bottom