• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    Maybe I'm crazy but I swear I saw boxes of Federal Lake City manufactured Ball ammo in 5.56x51 at Bass Pro today. I double checked and all the other manufacturers were 5.56x45. I can't find it anywhere on the net so am I crazy? Is it a real cartridge, mislabeled, or I'm losing my mind?
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never heard if it but wouldn't be surprised, academy still has a lot of strange stuff sitting on the shelves from their efforts during the shortage. Seems they grabbed anything they could get their hands on including ammo that was made specifically for an MG with no civilian version.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pretty sure you're crazy, but if not, I'd have picked up a box for the novelty. I've come close to grabbing a box of the 4.6mm they have on the shelf for just that reason.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Yes, it IS actually a real cartridge. Apparently it was an experimental round from the '50s, otherwise known as the .22/30 Homologous.

Cartridges Scroll down to the 13th image, fourth round from the right.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    "Cartridges of the World" doesn't list it and a search went poof. I saw the picture in your link site. Interesting but I wouldn't expect to find rifles chambered for it.

You should buy some. When I collected cartridges, some of that stuff was pretty valuable. Collectors like the odd and unusual cartridges.

I learned something new, today. Thanks!

Flash

Last edited:

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Wow, this is an old one... Looking back, willing to bet that what the OP saw was just a screwed up label, even though there is an actual round with those measurements. IIRC it never even got past the R&D stage, or got booted out of testing early on.

Top Bottom