• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buffalo Rancher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Wondered if anyone out there is currently reloading 5.7x28 and what if any difficulties you have encountered? Also what brand/type press you are using? Thanks!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Are you in there or are you considering it?

I considered it then declined. The was a police dept north of Houston that provided those weapons for some of their officers and they reloaded their own ammo(from a former gunstore employee who knew someone, so third hand?)but I don't know if I believe that.

Although with Ruger coming out with their own model in that caliber domestic ammo should become more available/cheaper.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Check the Fn Forum and the Five Seven Forum. But, after years of being an FN owner, and being on forums related to the PS90/5.7 round... It can be difficult to reload. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    There are plenty of articles and posts about how to do it successfully but you need to really be fluent in technique. Dont fool yourself, it isnt like loading 45 Auto.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Wondered if anyone out there is currently reloading 5.7x28 and what if any difficulties you have encountered? Also what brand/type press you are using? Thanks!
    I use a RCBS Jr and a Rock Chucker with Small Base Dies and Lil Gun powder, wide variety of bullets.. mostly just plinkers for grand girls...so have not chronographed of adapted for accuracy.

redintex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I have a friend who is successfully loading it. I have been loading for almost 20 years off and on, but don't feel comfortable doing it. He has been reloading for about 40 years and is on a whole different level than I am. Definitely left to the professionals or highly advanced loaders (which he definitely is!)l. Long story short, it can be done, but there is little to no room for error. It is absolutely not for the casual loader or one who loads regular pistol rounds only. With the pressures involved and extremely small tolerances, very slight differences such as those described above can have catastrophic results. I would not recommend it for 99% of us who reload. Just my .02!!!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have a friend who is successfully loading it. I have been loading for almost 20 years off and on, but don't feel comfortable doing it. He has been reloading for about 40 years and is on a whole different level than I am. Definitely left to the professionals or highly advanced loaders (which he definitely is!)l. Long story short, it can be done, but there is little to no room for error. It is absolutely not for the casual loader or one who loads regular pistol rounds only. With the pressures involved and extremely small tolerances, very slight differences such as those described above can have catastrophic results. I would not recommend it for 99% of us who reload. Just my .02!!!
    I reload for my ps-90 and safe loads (practice) for my FN 5.7... I use Little Gun powder and measure via scales each charge.. small base dies are a must and extreme care should be taken both in marking and storage so that the PS-90 loads never come near the FN 5.7 loads or pistol. I have been reloading over 40 years.

redintex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Coyote9, Very good point on the weighing of the powder. I should have included that. He not only uses the Dillon digital scale, but also double checks it on a beam scale as well.

Top Bottom