Target Sports

$5 Fee to Float the River in New Braunfels?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEEROY JENKINS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Saw similar things happen in Galveston. Fees to park on the beach. Now, fees to park on Seawall. Looks like New Braunfels stole Galveston's playbook. :(

New Braunfels considers $5 river tubing fee - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas (AP) - Officials of a picturesque Hill Country town are considering charging out-of-state visitors to use its popular
    icon1.png
    , spring-fed rivers for floating on inner tubes.

The Comal River has drawn inner-tube enthusiasts to New Braunfels for years. Now, the New Braunfels City Council is considering levying a $5 fee
    icon1.png
    on out-of-town visitors to float at the city's Hinman Island Park and Prince Solms Park on summer weekends and holidays.

Mayor Gale Pospisil says the city needs the revenue to maintain the cleanliness of the river and defray the cost of emergency crews serving the floating crowds.
    The proposal could go before the council for a final vote late this month or next month.

ARJ Defense ad

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Meh - I'll hit a golf ball or two at you from Landa Park. Honestly, I don't think they'll have much of a leg to stand on. In TX, if a waterway always has water in it, it's public land. Some places like the Blanco, the property owners own the land under the river, but you're not trespassing unless you put your feet on the ground.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    As it reads it sounds like they would just be charging for access at the city parks not putting some sort of toll gate across the river. I never went in at the parks and if you want you should easily be able to find some place to put in without paying. If out of Staters help keep the river clean I'm ok with that.

LEEROY JENKINS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    As it reads it sounds like they would just be charging for access at the city parks not putting some sort of toll gate across the river. I never went in at the parks and if you want you should easily be able to find some place to put in without paying. If out of Staters help keep the river clean I'm ok with that.

It says Out-of-Staters at first, but then says Out-of-Towners, which I think is what is really the case. Locals free, out-of-towners pay. It is for access from City parks. Think it just sucks. They have been trying to cut down on the floaters for years. First all of the restrictions to cooler size and alcohol... now this. They better be very careful what they wish for. Those tourist dollars may dry up!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Have you seen the mess the tubers leave along the rivers?
    It isn't cheap cleaning all that up.
    $5 ain't nothin'. Should be more.

LEEROY JENKINS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Have you seen the mess the tubers leave along the rivers?
    It isn't cheap cleaning all that up.
    $5 ain't nothin'. Should be more.

Been coming out of sales tax revenue. Now they need more? Plus, they do two big volunteer river cleanups each year.

I saw it when I lived in Galveston. Start charging for everything and people will go somewhere else, which results in lower sales tax revenue, lower hotel occupancy tax revenue, etc.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep. Just another restriction or usage fee. No biggie, right?

Be careful, Austin is creeping.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This has been an issue on the Colorado east of Austin too. Private property owners arent happy with all the garbage people seem to have to haul with them while enjoying the river

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Floating the rivers used to be great fun.
    Now it seems all the drunks leave their trash everywhere....someone has to pay someone to clean it up so they can do it all over again. $5 ain't nearly enough.
    Maybe I'm getting too old but the trash is everywhere on all the floating rivers.
    Seems like no one thinks one can is much trash but when 1000's do it, it adds up pretty darn fast.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I saw it when I lived in Galveston. Start charging for everything and people will go somewhere else, ...
    Does Galveston still have those parking meters connected to sensors buried in the pavement so that you can't feed the meter, you must actually move your car when your time runs out? I hate those things.

LEEROY JENKINS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Does Galveston still have those parking meters connected to sensors buried in the pavement so that you can't feed the meter, you must actually move your car when your time runs out? I hate those things.

Not sure about those, but they put some kind of meters on the Seawall to charge people to park. They came up far short of their estimate and will have to dig into the coffers.

Galveston loses $300K on controversial seawall parking program - Houston Chronicle

Galveston officials told people it would be a good idea to make money by charging for parking on the seawall, but it turns out the project could actually cost islanders more than $300,000.
    City officials have released figures showing that in the six months from its launch in August, revenue from the project where drivers have to pay online or via a smartphone app totaled just $200,000.
    They report that operating costs for six months run to $550,000. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that means a massive shortfall for taxpayers to make up.
    But officials maintain it's too early to judge the program and they will make more than enough to cover costs through next year.
    "The numbers reflect a very small portion of our busy season," said Assistant City Manager Brian Maxwell.
    Officials argue that by starting in August they already missed their prime market when cooler weather and city festivals brings more beachgoers.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom