• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    Walking to one of my outbuildings about an hour ago. Put my foot down on a baby copperhead just as I saw him and did quite the dance. Didn't know I could still move like that or jump that high.
    He was on a concrete sidewalk, so I had to wait for him to crawl off in the dirt only to miss him three or four times with the Glock. Got him and his sister before I emptied the G42.
    By then, help had shown up with a maglite and a shotgun. It was loaded with buckshot so the next 3 belly-crawlers were sent to meet their maker in very small pieces.
    I reloaded the 12 gauge with birdshot and started hunting. I got 8 total in the next fifteen minutes. Recovered five partials.
    These were all in the fenced part of my yard where the dogs are during the day. I wasn't too eager to wade through the grass to recover the bits and pieces. I'll be picking up snake parts, shotgun hulls, and shell-casings tomorrow.
    Watch out. Belly-crawlers abound.
    Change your name to "Snake Killer" Maybe "Bad Ass Snake Killer" or BASK for short.
    Texas SOT

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Do you have cicadas right now? I've got a bunch of them right now and they are the favorite food of copperheads. A copperhead will climb a tree to find a cicada.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Do you have cicadas right now? I've got a bunch of them right now and they are the favorite food of copperheads. A copperhead will climb a tree to find a cicada.

Yes. they are. Seems like cicadas or locusts are a favorite snack food of copperheads. They have a very narrow time when they emerge from their shells that the copperheads can eat them because their new shells haven't hardened yet.
    Yes. I have cicadas (we always call them locusts when I was growing up - I never heard it called a cicada until I was an adult), but not many.

When we were younger, we called them locusts as well. But what we called locusts were cicadas. Not for sure if locust is the correct term for them either.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Yes. they are. Seems like cicadas or locusts are a favorite snack food of copperheads. They have a very narrow time when they emerge from their shells that the copperheads can eat them because their new shells haven't hardened yet.

When we were younger, we called them locusts as well. But what we called locusts were cicadas. Not for sure if locust is the correct term for them either.
    I think a locust, is actually just a grasshopper in the rest of the world. Or, as my dad used to call them, HossGraspers.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've lost count. The one tonight was bigger. Obviously, they've been eating well. 50 ft of sidewalk from the back door to the man cave. They're always crawling the same way across the sidewalk.
    This is somewhere between 20-24, this year.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    The wife and I both carry short barrel .357mag revolvers anytime we head to the ranch, which is usually 1-2 times a week. Hers is a 5 shot and mine a 6 shot and all bores hold the CCI Shot Capsules. They are very effective in dispatching snakes from out to 8'. Last year alone we killed 8 Copperheads and 2 rattlers. She also killed a Coral Snake if I remember correctly. This year we haven't seen anything other than a big rat snake and we leave him alone because we don't see any rats or mice either. Here is what we carry,
    Ruger357magsR.jpg

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    With the family down at our place near Matagorda. I was going to mow but could not get the mower started. So I decided to fly a large kite with my two granddaughters - eight and five years old. It was too windy for either of them to handle it, and I was having trouble fighting the kite and was trying to get it down before I broke the string. I looked over, and 2 ft from the youngest is a rattlesnake coiled up. It never made a sound.
    I reached over, moved her behind me. It was then I realized that I was holding the kite in my left hand and my NAA revolver, loaded with snake shot, was in my left hand pocket. So I wrapped the string around my right hand, reached in my left pocket, pulled out the revolver, and popped him three times with rat shot.
    Never thought I'd be shooting an almost 4' rattler with my left hand, while struggling with a kite in my right hand!

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_123825.jpg
      IMG_20211010_123825.jpg
      517.2 KB · Views: 78
    Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am really surprised that we haven't seen hardly any snakes this year. Killed two copperheads and one water moccasin around the beginning of summer, and seen two chicken snakes a couple of months ago.

With fall here, and the leaves starting to fall, I'm really keeping my eyes open for copperheads.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    We have two houses next to each other down here. My son and his wife were doing repairs from the recent hurricane inside their place, and my granddaughters and I were in the yard of my place next door flying the kite. In other words, grandad was babysitting! (They - the grand girls - both beat me playing cards earlier this morning!)

My son and DIL heard me shoot but thought it was the sound of a hammer - lots of folks doing repairs on piers and siding and such down here. I had to send one of the granddaughters down the driveway, up the road, and back down their driveway to get my son - and a shovel. No way I was letting her take a shortcut through the yard!!!

And I wasn't ready to go near that Bastage till he was without a head! I ain't gettin' bit by arattlesnake - not even a dead one!!!

I don't normally consume adult beverages before 5:30 pm, but I'm nursing one now.

Top Bottom