• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeanclaudesegal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    houston
    Thanx everyone for commenting...I didn't want to start a new gun project so I was going through my inventory and I had the 50 Beowulf in my safe for the past 3 yrs collecting dust when it was 10.5" so I got bored and chopped it down to 7.5"..it was pretty interesting to find out the chronographed results..

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I considered the 50 Beowulf but the poor selection of projectiles and cost of components steered me from it. The .458 Socom is getting even more economical to shoot as Starline makes the brass and I use Sierra and Hornady 300 grain bullets from loading 45-70. Those bullets on sale cost about 30 cents each.

Load data for both cartridges is well documented in the newest Lyman #50 manual.

Regardless, the 50 Beowulf and .458 Socom put big teeth in the AR-15 platform!

I watched some of the comparison flicks. Kool stuff!

Flash

Last edited:

jeanclaudesegal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    houston
    I love the 458 socom. I remember discussing this round with Marty from teppu jitsu When I was looking into his new 500 phanton several years ago. The ballistics between the 50 beo and 458 socom are quite similar except the 50 is going to leave a larger hole.. bigger holes do bleed better .. But the energy in both types of ammo are almost similar..Back then it was a little harder to find 50 cal projectiles.. fast forward 8yrs later .. there are many different types of 50 cal bullets from major companies that are currently being produced..I haven't sampled all of them but I'm sure it has opened the market for other 50 cal lovers.. I currently do not reload.. I usually just sell my brass and repurchase new ammo.. a current box of factory ammo runs between 24.99-49.99 a box. And is readily available from your local retailer such as cabelas..Depending on the retailer u purchase it from.. thanx again for looking at my video

Last edited:
    Top Bottom