• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    Please keep in mind, I am not AR savvy at all. So if I call something by the incorrect name, please just work with me on this. I'm writing this thread for help. Thank you.

Few months back, I invested in an Alexander Arms 50 beowulf. Beast of a round, crazy damage. Finally took it out to a friends ranch so I could see what it could really do. After a couple rounds, the bolt seemed like it picked up the round but caught it half way up the casing and wedged it. So I'd pull the charge handle back so the bolt would grab the rear and the round would go in just fine. I was having to do this every couple of rounds or so. Thought maybe something was wrong with the metal mag Alexander arms sent with the AR so I tried my buddies plastic 223 clip. (If you'r not familiar with the 50 beowulf, the rounds, although being casing in a 50 AE, the primer is the same size as a 223. This allows them to be shot in a ar-15 platform. The rounds fit in any 223 mag for an ar.) That seemed to feed a little better, but even after a time the bolt would do the same or not pick up the next round at all. It would discharge the case but not pick up the next round causing me to pull the charge handle back to grab the next round. Some times it would cycle 6 out of 7 in the clip, some times 3 out of 7. It wasn't consistent. Thought maybe the gun just needed to be broken in a bit. Ran 100 rounds through it, issue continued.

So, did a little digging online, the only similar issue people were having with the 50 beowulf were mag related. We had already ruled that out by trying 3 different mags. Decided to pull the bolt carrier out and have a look. We worked the bolt head back and forth. My buddies said it seemed a bit stiff compared to theirs. They pulled theirs out and showed it slid back an forth much easier. Suggested maybe it just needed to be broke in, hence the 100 rounds that went through it. loosened up a little but still not as much as theirs and was still having the same issue. Cleaned it and lubed it real good, no improvement. We did not take the bolt carrier completely apart. just cleaned it as is and worked the head back and forth while dropping lube in. Thought about trying a different bolt from one of their AR-15s. Although the BCG are the same, the face on the bolt head has a bit less meat than the the one for a 223.

I plan on calling Alexander arms tomorrow to see what they think about it. Till then, I'd like to see what others think.

I asked my buddies if they thought maybe the weights in the buffer tube were possibly to heavy and causing the bolt to short stroke, (this is something that had happened to a friend and his 300 black out). The rifle came as is from alexander arms, I have change nothing. They didnt believe this was the problem. So, is it possibe the bolt head is to stiff, or could the buffer tube weights be off? Could there be an issue with the gas block or gas line?
    Lynx Defense

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Are you purchasing this ammo from a store? The Ar15 platform was never designed to shoot anything other than the 5.56. My advise is, ask for a refund and buy an AR in the caliber it's meant to run. If you're dead set on shooting this "Beowulf" round maybe look for a single shot or a bolt gun.

SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    I purchase the ammo from the local cabelas when they have it in stock. Alexander arms in the only company that makes this ammo, unless you choose to reload yourself.

The 50 beowulf was designed specifically for the ar-15 platform. It was built around the gun, not the other way around. This isn't some wild cat ar build or round. Its used by military and law enforcement. It has been tested and proven.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sounds like short stroking to me. It could be the buffer spring or weight, or the gas block could be out of line a little and not letting enough gas through to cycle completely.

Have you changed anything on the rifle? Even a different muzzle device could change the gas pressure.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't see how the bolt head could be an issue unless it is hanging up and not letting go until pressure is too low to cycle correctly. I seriously doubt it though.

SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    I don't see how the bolt head could be an issue unless it is hanging up and not letting go until pressure is too low to cycle correctly. I seriously doubt it though.

yah its letting loose the cases after firing. There just seems to be a problem picking up the next round. What's the best way to check for a leak in the gas block?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    yah its letting loose the cases after firing. There just seems to be a problem picking up the next round. What's the best way to check for a leak in the gas block?
    Let me clarify.

If the bolt is sticking it will not allow the carrier to cycle until the pressure is too low. Too little pressure and the carrier won't move back far enough to strip the next round cleanly. Not likely but it could happen.

If the gas block isn't lined up with the hole in the barrel properly it will choke off the gas pressure. That could cause short stroking too. The same problem could occur if the gas hole in the barrel or block are not the correct size.

I believe my first step would be to contact Alexander and see what they say.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Was it an alexander arms Grendel?
    No, it was a "home brew". At the time, that upper was sharing a lower I had built for a 7.62 x 39 upper also. Between the broken ring and the "extra heavy" hammer spring I had installed for 7.62 x 39 primers, it would intermittently cycle. With a single round it would cycle and lock back on the empty mag, but not have quite enough to pick up a new round if the mag was full.
    And by the way, it was Dan at the Gun Connection that diagnosed and fixed the problem.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If your buddy has a Beowulf that's running fine, try swapping the buffer spring from his rifle to yours, then the buffer, then the bolt and carrier.

Should help you figure out if it's a mechanical of gas issue.

Sent from my HAL 9000

SwwPlayboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    If your buddy has a Beowulf that's running fine, try swapping the buffer spring from his rifle to yours, then the buffer, then the bolt and carrier.

Should help you figure out if it's a mechanical of gas issue.

Sent from my HAL 9000

sadly i dont know anyone else that has a beowulf.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to the Forum, but this site requires a membership, or 25 posts before you can advertise items "for sale".

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I would suspect the gas system and I agree with Dawico that the gas block or tube is misaligned. Also you can lube the bolt face and sit with a unloaded weapon and work the charging handle 100 + times to help mate the bolt and barrel. I would also contact manufacturer about your issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom