• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just got a 50 BMG- Barrett m99- and I want to reload for it. I have reloaded for years, everything from 9mm to 458 Lott, so I am by no means a newbie. I was just curious if anyone had some advise, tips, or warnings for this new adventure.

I am considering a Lee 50 kit. I like every Lee product I have purchased, but don't own a Lee press. I really like their price, 1/2 of the competition. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Not looking for any Lee bashers, just opinions on this particular kit.

Thanks for any advise you can give.
    Guns International

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Here I is....:-)
    Dawico, I have the "Lee .50" press. The only problem I ever had with it was breaking the connecting link on the lower portion of the handle. From using "Lee" re-sizing lube... Don't use it. I full length re-size using "Royal Purple" motor oil. Works beautifully. Just a very small ammount on the tip of your finger, then up through the die. You must be sure to clean off all the oil before loading the case. I rinse them with brake clean then throw them back in the tumbler for a while. Another point is that it is very easy to seat the primers in too deep. Be careful when repriming and watch the depth. I also turn the case necks, because my rifle is picky about what you try to stuff into it. And you will need a powder scale that will measure 200+ gr. per case. That is all I can think of right now.... but it's early and my brain isn't up to speed yet.....MG

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    usmcpmi, thank you

I use a RCBS Chargemaster combo for my match rifle loads, but I may have to go half and half, depending on if the pan will hold that much powder.

I also love Hornady One Shot for resizing, but I think it may not be thick or slick enough for this monster. Royal Purple sounds like the way to go.

Any experience with match ammo, specifically Hornady 750s? There doesn't seem to be alot offered for the 50. I looked at Wideners for cheap "plinking" bullets, but knowing me, that will get boring. Accuracy is something I strive for in reloading. Stupid question, but are the H 750s worth the price for accuracy gained, or has something else worked better?

How about chamfering to remove crimps, or should I buy a cutter? My Dillon swager is not going to be alot of help here. I used to wear out alot of cutters, but I probably won't be using it to do 1000 cases, so that shouldn't be a major issue.

Thanks again for any advise, to anyone who has any experience with this stuff.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Dawico, I have used the Hornady A-MAX 750 gr. bullets, but for me, shooting at steel plate targets, the surplus military stuff is working so far... If I were shooting paper targets for score, then I would probably use the A-MAX. Try looking on "GUNS AMERICA" for bullets. There is a guy that goes by "duces 45" that has good stuff at a good price. Have you had any luck finding primers? The local supplier closed up and I haven't been out looking yet. As far as the crimps, I have a hand cutter that I use. Like you said, it's not like I'm going to do 1000 rounds... ( at least not yet!) MG

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I haven't looked for primers yet, but if I find them I'll let you know. MidwayUSA and Wideners both list in stock, and I have to order a press anyway, so I might order them and powder also. I just got my 50 on Saturday night, so this is my first research into reloading for it. I never paid much attention to 50 stuff before. I should have gotten one a long time ago. It is amazing.

Have you loaded any regular ammo in your Lee 50 press? Is it easy to switch over? I am toying with the idea of selling my Rockchucker when I get one. I have a progressive and if the Lee works well for regular rifle stuff, I can't see the need for two singles.

Zero T

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Houston
    I have and use a Lee 50 press. When I'm not doing BMG, I'll set it up to resize .308 or something. It converts easily and it's nice to have a second press now and then. I use a Foster chamfer tool on the primer pockets, $14 at Midway.

I am working up a 750 AMAX load right now. I get to shoot my BA-50 so little that I don't want to "waste" time shooting plinking ammo. I have had good luck with HSM AP ammo, but it is still cheaper to reload using the 750 AMAX, and the accuracy is better.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thank you, Zero T

Welcome to the forums.

I'm new to the 50, so looking for cheap trigger time now. I will definitely be looking for super accurate ammo, mainly handloads, in the near future. In case you didn't pick that up, that is me trying to cheat and get tips for a good load to start with.

I think I also have to try some APIs on my steel at my range, from very far away of course. They just seem like too much fun to resist. Plus I haven't started a grass fire in a long time. I don't want people to think I have learned my lesson yet.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Don't forget-You will have to pay hazmat on those primers if you get them from Midway--sure jacks the price up.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Isn't the price already jacked up? Again I am new to the 50, but are the primers plated in gold with silver anvils or something? 10 times the price of regular primers. Holy crap!

Hazmat on powder also. I will definitely try to find it locally, ordering is a last resort.

Zero T

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Houston
    Thank you, Zero T

Welcome to the forums.

I'm new to the 50, so looking for cheap trigger time now. I will definitely be looking for super accurate ammo, mainly handloads, in the near future. In case you didn't pick that up, that is me trying to cheat and get tips for a good load to start with.

I think I also have to try some APIs on my steel at my range, from very far away of course. They just seem like too much fun to resist. Plus I haven't started a grass fire in a long time. I don't want people to think I have learned my lesson yet.

Thanks.

There is only one range that I know of in Houston that allows BMG. They banned the use of API due to the berm catching on fire. The local fire department was not amused. I have a can of old ugly Talon API reloads, but I have never fired one off, and probably never will. API projectiles are still available and pretty cheap, but I can't use them. Now if I could find some plain old black-tip AP's, I would jump all over them. But they were only made up through WW2 and are now scarce.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have found a bunch of cheap (relative of course) bullets available on Gunbroker. Bulk is the way to go.

I have had good luck with US869. I put 3 under 1/2 moa (at 100yds) with 640 gr pulled APIs and 247gr of powder. I haven't shot more yet, that was a group during load developement. Weighing bullets is a chore. I decided within 1 grain was close enough. I weigh 308 bullets within .1 gr for match loads, but not happening here (yet). US869 is available locally for me.

Luckily I have my own range on my property. I am only set up for 200yds now, but I will have to change that soon.

I know about fires. I loaded a bunch of tracers for 308 and 30.06. They are a great way to meet the local Fire Department.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Luckily it was a small fire and put out quickly. I honestly didn't think it was dry enough to burn. I learned my lesson. Now I shoot them shorter range in wetter conditions. I am still prepared to run and stomp though.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    gotta love those APIs

especialyl when those zombies start driving armoured strucks.
    a well place shot in the fuel tank is a beatiful thing ;)

semicrazy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    I got 800 rounds of the black tip, what so great about it?

American Shooting Center allowes .50 BMG.

Top Bottom