• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    See I like the $50 plan. That is what I feel insurance needs to be for, emergencies not everyday stuff. You can hit that deductible in a heartbeat at a hospital if in serious trouble.

So many people want someone else (insurance) to pay for them to go to the doctor every time they have the sniffles, tummy ache, don't feel right or a minor abrasion.

We should go back to the pay it yourself for minor crap thinking. My doctor takes cash (and give a significant discount over what he charges the insurance companies). The way medical billing in this country is now is a complete mess, it's only going to get worse with the new legislation.

When the doctor knows and you understand that you are paying for this out of your own pocket, both of you will think twice about piling on all the unnecessary procedures and tests that we have been indoctrinated to think we need.

You health is ultimately your responsibility and many instances a direct reflection on lifestyle choices.

Lol, really.

I pay $125/week for insurance. An office visit without insurance cost around $200 for "sniffles".

I spend more on my insurance than I use but don't have to worry about coming up with $500 overnight if something moderately serious happens.

I would say most are in the same boat as I am but the option is still there to take a cheaper plan is that is your preference.

In my case, I'm paying a company more money than it would cost me to pay out of pocket in order to level out the costs. I don't see that as the insurance company "taking care of me".
    Lynx Defense

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    See I like the $50 plan. That is what I feel insurance needs to be for, emergencies not everyday stuff. You can hit that deductible in a heartbeat at a hospital if in serious trouble.

Except it is not a catastrophic plan. It is a maintenance plan. Even after you make the deductible, there is a 40% copay.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    So many seem to think they need to get back out more than they put in to the system. The "If I pay $6,000 a year for insurance, I am sure as hell going to get my money's worth" mentality is what has caused this mess in the first place. Where do you think the rest of the money comes from?

If folks did not have maxed out credit cards, zero room in their credit options and minimal savings they would be easily prepared for a $5K deductible for an emergency, medical or otherwise. However so many live paycheck to paycheck with their life styles exceeding their income they don't prepare for the future like previous generations did.

Youngun, my doctor charges $40 for an office visit. I have not used my insurance in over 3 years! Last years grand total was $120, two trips to for him to sign off on a 6 month prescription refill, and one trip for an antibiotic prescription because of a cat bite. I know folks that use the same doctor, but pay an insurance co-pay of more than the $40 he charges me, no matter what they are there for, because that is what their insurance requires!!

Find someone that knows how insurance billing works, it is amazing about how much extra staff a medical office needs just to handle that, and subsequently adds to our health care costs.

In the case of personal medical care, simpler is really better, and the government does not need to be all up in it.

Except it is not a catastrophic plan. It is a maintenance plan. Even after you make the deductible, there is a 40% copay.

That is what I currently have (catastrophic plan). Happy with it, hope I can keep it.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That is what I currently have. Happy with it, hope I can keep it.

Err, that is 40 PERCENT copay, not 40 DOLLARS copay. I do not think anyone has that plan right now.

In other words, you are healthy and do not get sick. Tomorrow you need a kidney transplant. It costs $200,000. You owe $80,000, not $40.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So many seem to think they need to get back out more than they put in to the system. The "If I pay $6,000 a year for insurance, I am sure as hell going to get my money's worth" mentality is what has caused this mess in the first place. Where do you think the rest of the money comes from?

If folks did not have maxed out credit cards, zero room in their credit options and minimal savings they would be easily prepared for a $5K deductible for an emergency, medical or otherwise. However so many live paycheck to paycheck with their life styles exceeding their income they don't prepare for the future like previous generations did.

Youngun, my doctor charges $40 for an office visit. I have not used my insurance in over 3 years! Last years grand total was $120, two trips to for him to sign off on a 6 month prescription refill, and one trip for an antibiotic prescription because of a cat bite. I know folks that use the same doctor, but pay an insurance co-pay of more than the $40 he charges me, no matter what they are there for, because that is what their insurance requires!!

Find someone that knows how insurance billing works, it is amazing about how much extra staff a medical office needs just to handle that, and subsequently adds to our health care costs.

In the case of personal medical care, simpler is really better, and the government does not need to be all up in it.

That is what I currently have (catastrophic plan). Happy with it, hope I can keep it.

I don't know why you are talking about "getting more than is out in". I never mentioned anything about getting more back and stated I pay more than I collect and am OK with that. I am paying for convenience.

I have no credit cards and pay cash for pretty much everything. I do have a couple lines out on my wife's car and my bike. Not sure how keeping personal debt to a minimum equated to living beyond my means. My insurance plan has the same effect, it keeps my personal debt to a minimum in case of a major medical problem.

As far as co-pays go for office visits, I pay $25, that's it. I have gone without insurance in the past and it was much more than $40.

To the cost of health care being driven up by insurance users: I think it is much easier to cover the cost of one or two extra people handling the paperwork for insurance than the cost incurred by uninsured or underinsured people hitting the ER and never paying the bill. I also know that Medicaid claims are much more difficult to process and collect on than insurance claims.

I don't believe the gov should be involved and I am completely against Obama care. If someone chooses cheap coverage that they will probably never get any use out of that is fine, but I DO believe people should know what they are buying and what is being trumpeted as "quality health coverage" is IMO all but useless and will have no effect on the problem of unpaid medical expenses.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    My post was not directed at you specifically, except the part where I told you about my costs, however it seems you took it that way. I stand by my statements that I feel a lot of folks do believe and act like I said they do. You can shop doctors just like everything else, some charge more, some charge less. I have been using the same guy since the 90's.

I also think that 'blackmarket' health care is around the corner for more folks than currently use it due to this legislation. The act is designed to not allow folks to just walk into a 'doc in a box' get minor treatment for a small cash price and go about their business.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My post was not directed at you specifically, except the part where I told you about my costs, however it seems you took it that way. I stand by my statements that I feel a lot of folks do believe and act like I said they do. You can shop doctors just like everything else, some charge more, some charge less. I have been using the same guy since the 90's.

Sorry if I took your post different than you intended it to be. I do agree about people living there lives on credit.

It could be a matter of location on our other disagreements. In my experience people with better coverage are also much more responsible with their medical costs and those who have plans similar to hours are more likely to skip out on the hospital bills. It's obvious that you are not one of those types.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Hopefully this becomes such a huge failure that it costs the dems the 2014 elections. Take a look at how close the Virginia govenrnors race was. And Cuccinelli was outspent by almost 15 million and has ZERO Rhino support. Hopefully people are staring to wake the hell up. I think the only reason Cucinelli lost was due to the liberals in Northern Virginia right outside of DC.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hopefully this becomes such a huge failure that it costs the dems the 2014 elections. Take a look at how close the Virginia govenrnors race was. And Cuccinelli was outspent by almost 15 million and has ZERO Rhino support. Hopefully people are staring to wake the hell up. I think the only reason Cucinelli lost was due to the liberals in Northern Virginia right outside of DC.

You see the story about the democrat funded Libertarian candidate?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    In my experience people with better coverage are also much more responsible with their medical costs and those who have plans similar to hours are more likely to skip out on the hospital bills. It's obvious that you are not one of those types.

Nope, had 5 major surgeries involving my back a few years ago and could not have be fortunate to get through all that by skipping out on bills :)

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I think it's six one way and half a dozen the other. I went the first ten years of my adult life without any type of ins. as I entered the labor force. I don't know that I went to the Dr. but maybe a few times back then and spent very little on medical care. Now I pay roughly $300.00 a month for employer provided ins. which I mainly carry just to cover my wife, she sees her physician regularly and in the event I was to ever face a severe ailment. Though it is nice to have it when I need it, if I was a single man and out on my own and being in the condition I'm in I probably wouldn't bother with it.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Washington D.C. is slicing it's own throat with plan.

I'll lend them my straight razor (with a ram's horn handle) to help with that slicing!!
    devil-smiley-039.gif

2ucb.jpg

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't know why you are talking about "getting more than is out in". I never mentioned anything about getting more back and stated I pay more than I collect and am OK with that. I am paying for convenience.

I have no credit cards and pay cash for pretty much everything. I do have a couple lines out on my wife's car and my bike. Not sure how keeping personal debt to a minimum equated to living beyond my means. My insurance plan has the same effect, it keeps my personal debt to a minimum in case of a major medical problem.

While that is a good thing, I use a credit card for almost everything, run a zero balance so I have NEVER paid any interest, & am on track this year to get back
    right at $1000 free money from my back due to "cash back".

Top Bottom