• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Anyone on here loading for this round? My preferred load at this time is 23.5 grains of SR-4759, behind the RCBS 400 grain SWC, cast of wheel weights and dropped into water right out of the mold. They should be right around 1000 fps. John Ross, the 500 guru, says SR-4759 is the perfect powder for the big Smith. This load kicks about like a hot .44 mag, and gives 1.5" or smaller groups at 25 yards. If I do my part just right it will sometimes clover-leaf 3 of the 5 rounds. He also says 100% loading density of slow powders like H322 & H335 will give around 1400 fps, with no chance of over pressuring the gun. What are some other loads you have tried? I know SR-4759 has been discontinued, but I bought up about 15 lbs and this should last me.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT question - Where (online) is John Ross these days? His web site has been down for many years and he posted his last "Ross in Range" column in 2005. I expected him to slow down after his stroke but not to disappear completely.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Another member on here told me the same thing, but gave me a link to one of his last posts. He is still kicking. He was talking about Kent Lomont shooting his .500 at a 55 gallon drum at 700 yards! I knew Kent from my old Automag days. A real nice guy that has passed on, unfortunately.

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Anyone on here loading for this round? My preferred load at this time is 23.5 grains of SR-4759, behind the RCBS 400 grain SWC, cast of wheel weights and dropped into water right out of the mold. They should be right around 1000 fps. John Ross, the 500 guru, says SR-4759 is the perfect powder for the big Smith. This load kicks about like a hot .44 mag, and gives 1.5" or smaller groups at 25 yards. If I do my part just right it will sometimes clover-leaf 3 of the 5 rounds. He also says 100% loading density of slow powders like H322 & H335 will give around 1400 fps, with no chance of over pressuring the gun. What are some other loads you have tried? I know SR-4759 has been discontinued, but I bought up about 15 lbs and this should last me.
    I have not loaded the 500 in a while but I settled for H110 for most loads. I tried 4759 but 110 always did better with jacketed bullets I load.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I loaded for the 500 I had years ago. 4227 and 2400 were my go to Magnum powders.

I can't really give much more information than that though.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I've shot lots of H110 loads through mine, and most have been very accurate, but after 38 years of IHMSA silhouette shooting, my old arthritic right hand can't take many of those. I went to the SR-4759 loads to tone it down a little.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Yah, I'm betting that this is ONE caliber in which my "Dirty Burning" friend, UNIQUE might NOT work all that happily...

Was the genesis of the .500 S&W in the interest of a more probable one-shot bear-stopper, or was it just to make a larger revolver caliber? I guess EITHER motive is valid, but I've always wondered what was expected of it that could not be delivered by a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull.

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Yah, I'm betting that this is ONE caliber in which my "Dirty Burning" friend, UNIQUE might NOT work all that happily...

Was the genesis of the .500 S&W in the interest of a more probable one-shot bear-stopper, or was it just to make a larger revolver caliber? I guess EITHER motive is valid, but I've always wondered what was expected of it that could not be delivered by a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull.
    Here is the background: https://archive.org/stream/TheDevel...Development of the Powerful Big-Bore_djvu.txt

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Actually, I've used 14.5 grains of that "dirty burning" Unique with good results behind the Lee version of the Cor-Bon 440 grain bullet. The amount of empty space left in the case made me nervous tho, and I quit using it. I didn't just pull that load outta my arse tho, found it in the Lyman book.

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Actually, I've used 14.5 grains of that "dirty burning" Unique with good results behind the Lee version of the Cor-Bon 440 grain bullet. The amount of empty space left in the case made me nervous tho, and I quit using it. I didn't just pull that load outta my arse tho, found it in the Lyman book.
    You can fill the dead space with cream of wheat. I’ve done that but I prefer powder that fills the case as much as possible.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Me too! One reason I went to SR-4759. Plus, I've had good results in silhouette cast bullet loads with that powder. I used to have a Wichita drop barrel single shot pistol in .357 Maximum, and 15 grains of SR-4759 behind the 200 grain RCBS cast bullet would clover leaf 5 shots at 50 meters.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    For a reduced velocity load like that one, have you considered trying out Longshot? I use for that purpose and am pretty happy with the results it gives for the slower, non-wrist hammering loads. At that velocity, you could even use Titegroup if you wanted and get a very mild load and its position insensitivity and easy ignition is certainly nice in that big casing.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Well, I read as much of the article as I could before my "English Teacher" tendencies kicked in and made me quit. It ended up sounding like the reason for building hand-cannons and their cartridges was much more "because we can", than "because there's a niche to be filled". So be it. If people buy them, then I guess that's reason enough.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I bought my first .500 because I've been a handgun hunter since '65. It was just another hunting handgun to me. But, since I knew I would never be going to Africa to hunt Cape buffalo, I didn't see the need in beating up my arthritic old hands with Cape buffalo loads. So, I used 400 grain or heavier cast bullets and SR-4759 loads to slow the beast down in recoil. The loads I use will flatten anything on the North American continent. I will try some of that Longshot powder tho.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Kosh75287, my dad was an English teacher too, before he joined the Army in the depression years. Teaching English didn't pay off too well, so he joined the service before he starved to death! LOL!

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Jan 2017 American Rifleman had an article on the SW-22. The question about the 500 was brought up. It seems S&W wanted back the title of Worlds Most Powerful Handgun after the 44Mag was outclassed. "To that end S&W went to ATF and found out the maximum ballistic spec's the law would permit, allowing it to make a handgun whose power could not be exceeded." Quote from Pg 67. Interesting story and probably true after what they did to develop the 357 Mag in the 30's (IIRC) and then the 44 Mag.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I like the part of one of the John Ross articles where he describes how the length of the X-frame was determined. It's was pretty offhand. The guy in charge just said, to paraphrase, "Oh, by the way, make the cylinder long enough to accept a .223 in case we ever decide to chamber for that round."

If it hadn't been for that, there's no way that those incredibly long 700-grain bullets would work.

Top Bottom