• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    GODDAMN! I guess I now know why he hasn't posted any videos for a while. He does seem like a good guy and well-liked by the other gun-tubers.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    images.jpeg-54.jpg
    images.jpeg-54.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As simple as it is, that's a very, very strong action. I cast no aspersions toward it. However, it does make me wonder if I'd ever shoot anything but new ammo or my own handloads in any .50BMG that I might ever own.

I think that's a valid thought since SLAP rounds are one of the few reasons I've ever thought about a .50. For years, there were .50-to-.30 sabots available for purchase and I always figured I'd experiment with them some day. Well, I've never gotten around to it and I find that, oddly, my motivation today is somewhat less than it has ever been before...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As simple as it is, that's a very, very strong action. I cast no aspersions toward it. However, it does make me wonder if I'd ever shoot anything but new ammo or my own handloads in any .50BMG that I might ever own.

I think that's a valid thought since SLAP rounds are one of the few reasons I've ever thought about a .50. For years, there were .50-to-.30 sabots available for purchase and I always figured I'd experiment with them some day. Well, I've never gotten around to it and I find that, oddly, my motivation today is somewhat less than it has ever been before...

I think there are a few things to consider, and I’m not “bashing” the g
    uy here.

SLAP rounds should never be fired from a rifle with a brake. The penetrator is undersized and sits in a cup that brakes away similar to a shotgun wad. It can cause all kinds of problems if that happens before the round is fully clear of the brake.

Old .50 cal ammo (no a few years, but actual old ammo) should be avoided. The grains are very large and if the ammo has had decades of handling causing them to brake down it can have a major effect on burn rate.

AFAIK slap ammo is still produced for military use. But maybe it’s been replaced due to accuracy issues. It would never be used in a shoulder fired rifle though regardless due to the reason mentioned in the first paragraph. Generally reserved for the M2.

Edit to add: Not preaching to you, Ben. Was thinking most of it as I watched the vid and your comment was just inline with some of my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    IIRC .50 & .30. SLAP rounds have a history of blowing thru sides of barrels. And I’m talking heavy machine gun barrels. I also seem to remember that the sabots have been known to become lodged in muzzle brakes.

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    That was way more emotional than I expected. I wonder what his anxiety level was like to pull another trigger again.

Thanks for sharing Moonpie.

Wish that 'ol boy a full rercovery.

A major life event like this can definitely cause ptsd. I hope his physical and psychological scars heal with time

Top Bottom