Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    SLAP rounds should never be fired from a rifle with a brake.
    Agreed.
    Old .50 cal ammo (no a few years, but actual old ammo) should be avoided. The grains are very large and if the ammo has had decades of handling causing them to brake down it can have a major effect on burn rate.
    Yeppers. I remember some testing on pistol rounds where somebody put them in a vibratory cleaner. After enough shaking, the powder was no longer in grains; it was a fine dust. The burn rate and pressures apparently went through the roof.

.50BMG that's been handled, trucked around, etc. for decades is, for the reason you cite, something to be broken down for components instead of actually fired.
    IIRC .50 & .30. SLAP rounds have a history of blowing thru sides of barrels.
    I can imagine that. I can imagine an odd propagation of the pressure wave inside the cartridge that cocks the bullet to one side. For a solid projectile, that's no big deal. For an undersized projectile in a compressible sleeve, that could be catastrophic.
    Not preaching to you, Ben.
    I know but please keep in mind you know lots of stuff I don't. If you ever feel the need to preach, do it. I probably need it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Somewhere long ago I remember Serbu 50cal rifles were dangerous junk.
    They did have a bad rep at one time. Did they ever use interrupted screw threads on this type of action? I'm just wondering because I don't remember the reason they had a bad rep back in the day.

I'm sure somebody can jog my memory.

Last edited:

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That is the dumbest breech design I have ever seen. I would not put my head behind if it was a 22.

I wonder what max pressure he tested it at? Or if he tested it at all. I guess we will find out in discovery. :-)

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    That is the dumbest breech design I have ever seen. I would not put my head behind if it was a 22.

I wonder what max pressure he tested it at? Or if he tested it at all. I guess we will find out in discovery. :-)
    Supposedly 80k PSI according to the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Lots of field artillery has used that design, minus half the threads. There's nothing wrong with the design concept though I freely admit that I know nothing about the quality of this particular implementation.

AFAIK, nobody sticks their face 3 inches from the back of the breech of an artillery piece for good reason.

The other failure in the design is there are only two little ears to take the full recoil of the round. Had those been full length with crossbar, this likely would not have happened. there also seems to be a simple pushpin to hold upper and lower together.

IMG_4940-660x452.jpg

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I finally got around to watching the video tonight, it’s insane. I agree with him, it’s only God’s grace he’s still alive. I don’t buy many t-shirts but I’m probably going to order the stick a thumb in it shirt.

Reactions: gll

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I finally got around to watching the video tonight, it’s insane. I agree with him, it’s only God’s grace he’s still alive. I don’t buy many t-shirts but I’m probably going to order the stick a thumb in it shirt.
    I ordered the "stick a thumb in it" shirt and the "nobody likes eggplant" shirt.

Wanted to help him out and
    I have a coworker that alway uses an eggplant emoji in a work group text when referring to his junk. He refers to his junk often.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom