• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It is ignorance of the law, as you think there must be a visible sign or you are legal.

Were you asleep in class or was your instructor ignorant too? This has been the law the whole time...
    In defense of @GeorgeS he did state it was a new place.

If the establishment had been there for some time or many years, a reasonable person should be able to conclude what the income was derived from, but a new place? Was it a burger joint that sold beer to go with your burger and fries, or a straight up beer joint?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Because taking out your pecker in public is an an office and you would be arrested. Gosh my sense of humor is terribly dark today.
    The way it was worded, it seemed you said using a quarter to check the height was illegal.
    I understood the rest as being humor.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In defense of @GeorgeS he did state it was a new place.
    New place or old place does not matter. He has a fundamental misunderstanding of the law. His mistake is in his first sentence of his first post:

"As I understand it, you may not carry a firearm in an establishment with a 51% sign posted."

It is frustrating how so many folks can get simple things like this wrong. I would hate to see someone get jammed up, but at the end of the day you own your actions. Dont carry until you know the laws. If you were taught incorrectly, those Instructors need to be called out. We all need to have each others backs on the law.

If the establishment had been there for some time or many years, a reasonable person should be able to conclude what the income was derived from, but a new place? Was it a burger joint that sold beer to go with your burger and fries, or a straight up beer joint?
    If it is a brand new place, then it is on YOU, the LTC to verify if you can legally enter armed. Here is the link again:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    New place or old place does not matter. He has a fundamental misunderstanding of the law. His mistake is in his first sentence of his first post:

"As I understand it, you may not carry a firearm in an establishment with a 51% sign posted."

It is frustrating how so many folks can get simple things like this wrong. I would hate to see someone get jammed up, but at the end of the day you own your actions. Dont carry until you know the laws. If you were taught incorrectly, those Instructors need to be called out. We all need to have each others backs on the law.

If it is a brand new place, then it is on YOU, the LTC to verify if you can legally enter armed. Here is the link again:

Yes. Ultimately this is the correct response. More people need to read laws. I often don’t get involved with threads about legal gun matters because when I read something for myself then read comments online I’m often too mentally drained to try. I’m bored at work and couldn’t help myself today.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As I understand it, you may not carry a firearm in an establishment with a 51% sign posted.

I was enjoying a beer on the patio of a place that had no signage at the door or on the patio. A friend later informed me that their only sign is posted inside, behind the bar. You do not have to walk through the bar to get to the patio, and they have servers handling orders.

If the '51%' is not visible from the patio, would it be unlawful to carry on the patio?
    51% covers the entire premise, and as defined by TABC the premise is the entire property, not just building.

However, a number of places mistakenly or deceptively post a 51% sign whe in fact it is incorrect, check TABC's website and find the listed business and confirm the sign is in fact the correct one.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Well even if it were not a 51% establishment, it would lend even more scrutiny should the person need to exercise his or her 2A right and it was found that even one drink was consumed prior to the event. Myself, I rarely drink outside of the house for that very reason. Maybe I’m just paranoid....

But like others have noted, ignorance of the law is no defense. The OP already stated he knew that so he is covered on that front. True the sign should be in a conspicuous place, but it’s my understanding that in Itself, is not a defense. If 9 out of 10 people in the joint are only drinking and have no food, or has hours that might follow those of 51% place then a reasonable person should at least assume it’s 51%, or at least ask. If there are equal parts or more eating, maybe kids in attendance and have hours that would mirror something like a restaurant, and no 51% sign, then a reasonable person might assume it is ok. This is my interpretation of the law

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    As I understand it, you may not carry a firearm in an establishment with a 51% sign posted.

I was enjoying a beer on the patio of a place that had no signage at the door or on the patio. A friend later informed me that their only sign is posted inside, behind the bar. You do not have to walk through the bar to get to the patio, and they have servers handling orders.

If the '51%' is not visible from the patio, would it be unlawful to carry on the patio?
    I thought the law stated you can't *enter* blah, blah, blah. If you're on the patio, aren't you *technically* not entering?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Curious question. Who determines whether an establishment is a 51% business? TABC, or the establisment?
    LOL

See TXI #7

on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Curious question. Who determines whether an establishment is a 51% business? TABC, or the establisment?

Sec. 104.06. MONITORING OF GROSS RECEIPTS. (a) On the issuance and renewal of a license or permit that allows on-premises consumption of any alcoholic beverage the commission shall determine whether the holder receives, or for the issuance of a license or permit is to receive, 51 percent or more of the gross receipts of the premises for which the license or permit is issued from the holder's sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption.

(b) The commission shall:

(1) adopt rules for making a determination under Subsection (a); and

(2) require a holder of a license or permit to provide any information or document that the commission needs to make a determination.

(c) If the commission makes a determination under Subsection (a) that a holder of a license or permit receives 51 percent or more of the gross receipts of the premises from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages, the holder shall comply with the requirements of Section 411.204, Government Code, and shall continue to comply with those requirements until the commission determines that the holder receives less than 51 percent of the gross receipts of the premises from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I thought the law stated you can't *enter* blah, blah, blah. If you're on the patio, aren't you *technically* not entering?
    30.06/7 uses a different "premise" from what TABC uses for 51% premises.

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code 11.49
    Premises Defined;  Designation of Licensed Premises
    (a) In this code, “premises” means the grounds and all buildings, vehicles, and appurtenances pertaining to the grounds, including any adjacent premises if they are directly or indirectly under the control of the same person.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Top Bottom