• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    first of all, NO i'm not gonna trade it in on a lnl. the problem i'm having is it seats primers just a tad high, as in flush with the primer pocket. 44 mag, 45-70, 308, 30-06. commercial brass once fired. i can open up the primer pockets and they seat a little deeper. called dillon, we went thru all the tricks/fixes he could come up with and no luck. CCI, FEDERAL, WW primers. he said CCI are the hardest to seat. if you have had the same problem and called dillon then i have already heard it. the fixes that is. sure be interested in any off the wall or whatever solutions. i even got in a inline fabrication roller handle. i hate it that it and the 650 prime on the upstroke. my 1025 primed on the downstroke with no effort. i may have to go the 1050 route again if i cant fix this as my shoulder has been operated on once and i don't need another repair job on it. thanks
    Lynx Defense

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    There is a little set screw on the side of the primer slide bar that holds the primer cup in position. Loosen that set screw, the primer cup is spring loaded so that it sits high. Place a primed shell in position 1, that has the primer at the depth you want. Push the handle forward, and hold, while tightening that little set screw. It will always seat that size primers to that depth.

FYI, instead of changing out the primer slide bar and readjusting when changing primer sizes, just loosen that set screw, and change the primer cups. Takes less than a minute to change primer sizes that way.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    well hell. i got the primer seating punch set about twice as high as it was using ur method for changing out punch sizes and it still won't set the primers more than level with primer pocket, at best, and they need to be at least a thousand deeper. doesn't make sense because doing that should really shove em in. got a 308 case, same thing. got a new unprimed norma case, goes in a teeny bit deeper. used both hand to really shove the handle forward. even put a case in at the seating station so that the priming station would stay level. took shell plate off, its a #1 as should be. only good part of this is that my wife keeps yelling get the big one dammit (1050). but i wanna make this one work. i'm now thinking that during all the adjustments i didn't tighten the set screw tight enough and the primer punch is riding up and down in the notch where the set screw tightens against tit. to be continued..........

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Good luck with it. That primer punch shouldn’t shouldn’t move up and down once you get that set screw tight.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    That’s weird.

I have a 550B, and my buddy has a 550C

Neither of us have had this issue after initial adjustment.

I reload 9mm, 40, 45acp, and 223 on this press. My buddy loads 9mm, 38spl, 10mm, 45acp, 45LC and a couple of others on his.

I’m interested in what you learn about this, in case it ever pops up.

I see that you’re reloading rifle brass. Have you tried squaring the primer pockets before new primers? I don’t know your brass prep routine

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    actually i have done that. even with commercial cases. don't want to cause it entails an extra step. the primers did seat a tad deeper but not to what i want. the test is (used to be) to put the primed rd on a piece of flat glass and if it rocks the primer isn't deep enough. doesn't take into account the condition of the brass though. even with the primer seater plug seated so high the primers will barely feed from the primer feed tube (due to the little nubbin that the primer seater pushes out of the way so only one primer drops at a time) most of the time even with the handle pushed to the stops the primers go in flush or just a tiny bit deeper. i am used to them going at least a thou or so below flush. my old 550 and 1050 had no problems at all doing this.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom