• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Anyone shoot here? It looks like a hole-in-the-wall place by the freeway, and stopping in looks about the same inside.
    Gun Zone Deals

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I went there weekly for 6 months when I first started shooting competitively. At my yearly physical I asked to doctor to test my blood for lead. It came out to 42 ug/dL, the OSHA maximum is 20. I stopped shooting at that indoor range, kept shooting outdoors and reloading, and 5 weeks later when I got retested my lead level was 26 and a year later it was 6. They have no ventilation system at the range to remove lead from the air other than the holes in the ceiling. A few trips to the range won't kill you but I won't shoot there regularly anymore or bring children.

Rugrash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I used to go there alot in the 90's but after getting swept by a 12ga from some OG, I decided to go elsewhere. And yes I agree with a previous poster about the crappy ventilation system.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I work in that area almost daily. Never shot there, but I agree not the best (or worse) nieghborhood, and have also heard you can look through the bullet holes in the ceiling.

ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Nice reviews on the above link lol make ya wanna go right over, and see if it truly is that bad

When I went there the people were pretty friendly to me.

What I liked about the place was that, even though it was a $12 fee, there was no limit on guns or time. You can shoot all day there with as many guns as you can bring (pistol-caliber only). I have not seen that policy on an indoor range before. It's usually one-hour for $15 and they charge you for each gun.

Second shooter only pays $8 on top of your $12.

JimmyGreen

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Beeville, Tx
    Thanks, I think I kinda remember this place. Is it near a go-cart track?

Yeah D, many moons ago, there was a go-kart place there. As a matter of fact, I remember crashing a go-kart into a pole there.... Although it's about 2 minutes from my house, I've never been inside. I went there to get my CHL, and was informed that the class had already started.. Never been back, and still don't have a CHL since my job went *KaPut!*. But Yeah, I've always figured the place would be full of Homie G Dawgs and Gangstaz, so I guess that's why I've never been to it after that initial trip.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Not so bad

I go there more often than anywhere else. It is closest to my office in the Gunpoint area of Houston. HVAC is not the best, but there are other older indoor ranges in the greater Houston area that you could make that complaint about. You don't get the Glock-Nazi attitude that you may find at another range in Houston either.

I can find something bad to say about every range in Houston. For the money, an indoor range, and on the north side of town, it is worth stopping by. Demographics reflect the area. Generally they have instructors teaching CHL classes taking up lane space the same as everywhere else, call before you go.

slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hey guys, reviving this thread real quick. I was thinking of going to this range. I called, and they said they only rent out Glocks in there? Is that true? If it is, do you recommend me go shoot one because this range is about 2 minutes from my house and I was thinking of making it my first shoot. By first shoot, I mean I have NEVER shot a gun. I'm 17. I was thinking I go with my cousin, 24, and his friend, also 24. Can I do that?

Sorry for long post guys. Would really appreciate it if you answered the questions hidden in there, hehe.

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Doesn't hurt to stop in for a visit

Generally if you are under 21 you will have to be accompained by someone that is 21 to shoot or rent a handgun. On glocks I thought they had other pistols under the counter, but those may be for sale and not for rent. Surely they gave you the square deal on what they rented, if they rented more things they would have told you. Glocks are more commonly used as rentals due to reduced frequency of cleaning compared to other models (from what I've read, I'm not a glock guy). Top Gun had a wider variety of rentals.

Everyone has a first time. Once at the 59 range I brought a British family that was over for a wedding. It was the first time shooting for the entire family. The range had no problem with us. I understand some of the folks at Halliburton (nearby) would bring other newbies over that couldn't shoot handguns in their country also. So long as you read, understand and obey the safety rules, everything is fine.

I think they also teach an introductory class on pistols, stop by and talk to them.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I shot there a few times in 2001-2002. Place looked to need a good cleaning. They had a few guns in there, but didn't compare well with other ranges in the area. There are lots of bullet holes in the ceiling!!!

Top Bottom