• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmartinez95

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Last time I went there had to be around 95 or 96. At the time I only had my trusty mossberg 500a. Still have it, but if I want to go shoot it I'll go up to Carters Country. Otherwise, I'll hit the local ranges on my side of town and just play with my handguns or the new AR. I used to live a bit north of that range. Glad I moved out as that area has really changed (not for the better IMO) since I lived there in the 90's. My parents still live around there so I pass by this place quite frequently and nothing about it makes me want to stop. Oh yeah, I remember the old waterslide and go-kart place too. The good old days, lol.
    Military Camp

slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Generally if you are under 21 you will have to be accompained by someone that is 21 to shoot or rent a handgun. On glocks I thought they had other pistols under the counter, but those may be for sale and not for rent. Surely they gave you the square deal on what they rented, if they rented more things they would have told you. Glocks are more commonly used as rentals due to reduced frequency of cleaning compared to other models (from what I've read, I'm not a glock guy). Top Gun had a wider variety of rentals.

Everyone has a first time. Once at the 59 range I brought a British family that was over for a wedding. It was the first time shooting for the entire family. The range had no problem with us. I understand some of the folks at Halliburton (nearby) would bring other newbies over that couldn't shoot handguns in their country also. So long as you read, understand and obey the safety rules, everything is fine.

I think they also teach an introductory class on pistols, stop by and talk to them.
    Thanks. You were a big help. Also, they said they MOSTLY had Glocks(to be exact), so I guess they have a few extra types in there.

I shot there a few times in 2001-2002. Place looked to need a good cleaning. They had a few guns in there, but didn't compare well with other ranges in the area. There are lots of bullet holes in the ceiling!!!
    Yeah, I've heard. I might be going to Carter's Country instead of there, which is nice. My cousin's friend goes there all the time to buy and shoot his guns.

Last time I went there had to be around 95 or 96. At the time I only had my trusty mossberg 500a. Still have it, but if I want to go shoot it I'll go up to Carters Country. Otherwise, I'll hit the local ranges on my side of town and just play with my handguns or the new AR. I used to live a bit north of that range. Glad I moved out as that area has really changed (not for the better IMO) since I lived there in the 90's. My parents still live around there so I pass by this place quite frequently and nothing about it makes me want to stop. Oh yeah, I remember the old waterslide and go-kart place too. The good old days, lol.
    Yeah, this isn't exactly the best place in Houston. This is mostly a Hispanic area, which is what me and my family are, but I wouldn't mind moving up more North to a more upper-middle class area.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I shot there a few times in 2001-2002. Place looked to need a good cleaning. They had a few guns in there, but didn't compare well with other ranges in the area. There are lots of bullet holes in the ceiling!!!

it still needs a good cleaning. i wish they would put it up for sale. i sure would buy

humanoid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Kingwood TX
    I go there once a week mainly because it is near where I work. Shooting once a week has greatly improved my skills though I am still and kinda green. The people are friendly. The price is cheap $14 bucks/unlimited guns. Bring full ear protection...not ear plugs. The place ain't pretty but it is a place to shoot on the cheap and that is all I care about. If it is hot outside...it will be hot inside so if you are afraid to sweat stay home. :) I have not seen anyone there acting out of line.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I qualified there in 1978. Its only gotten worse since then. Took an employee there in '02 for prints, still a dump. Stinks like an old bar. Was amazed that the stench of cigarettes would overpower the gunpowder. The pool table gets lots of use.
    They used to advertise "come and shoot a machine gun" now it says "come and shoot a gun" and even that is wayyyy faded.
    I don't drop by anymore
    I guess they are the antithesis of Shiloh where their TSA type counter goons want to inspect every bullet. I don't go there anymore either.

Tom Danger Collins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Houston / Kingwood
    I've been to 59 Gun Range once to see if they had any pistols for sale. I will never go in there again. I frequent Sportsman's Outlet on FM 1960 quite a bit now, and use the indoor range often. It's close, and clean.

humanoid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Kingwood TX
    No pool tables in there that I have seen. I admit the place is run down but I am not there to take a date. they just ordered a gun for me at a GREAT price and it was at the shop 2 days later. I don't know why I am selling this place anyhow...I like it when I am the only shooter there...haha ...I think it because I like the way I am treated when I am there.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I have shot there quite a few times, and yes it's somewhat of a dump.... but close to downtown.
    Still prefer Top Gun indoor range, A bit higher fee but worth it IMO.

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Be careful in the 59 range.

During the early 90's the (then) owner's wife was shot in the back of the head and killed by 1 of 2 gangbangers that she had just admonished for unsafe gun handling. Apparently as she walked away he pointed a 12 gauge at her and shot her from behind, and that, as they say, was that.

Don't know if the range is now under new management, but it still looks like a dump, and there are some other great ranges to train at.

Best regards -

45Reasons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Houston
    Hello :) I thank the person who told me about this thread :) My name is Stacie, and I am awhere of Sharon's death. It was a tragic accident that was due to the carelessness of a young person. It was a handgun, and the boy believed it had a malfunction. He told the man he was with this, and when he demonstrated that it wasn't working he pointed it in an unsafe direction. When the gun fired, it DID strike her in the head :( so tragic :(

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Another place to shoot in that vicinity is Shiloh. It is a real nice range, and they offer a range of classes. I took my CHL there and enjoyed the experience. The area is marginally safer, and they also rent Glocks.

Given the choice I would go with Shiloh. I do not have any affiliation with them, I just believe in giving credit where credit is due.

Personally I go to ASC, the best range in town in my opinion. They have a new prairie dog town for rimfire shooters. They are steel praire dog popup, self resetting targets....

45Reasons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Houston
    The event of being broken into and "cleaned out" took place prior to 1990. The items taken were fully automatic weapons. The current owner has run the range since 1990 and has rented out firearms for almost as long. Since taking ownership, he has never had the range broken into, nor had any attempted robberies.

45Reasons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Houston
    For any direct questions, feel free to post. I have subscribed to the thread :) ( I am Stacie- Instructor at the range this thread is about)

Top Bottom