• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ? Why is anything needed between .243 Win & 7mm Rem Mag ?

leVieux

upload_2018-5-23_11-55-55.jpeg

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    Every American Civilian should own an AR-15 and know how to shoot and maintain it.
    I agree. Every Citizen, has a responsibility to own a proper firearm and have the training to use it. I think the AR is an excellent candidate, but they should also possess a handgun as well. AR, Mini-14, lever action dirty 30, it doesn't matter to me, but we should honor that responsibility. That said there are mouth breathers who probably should leave the defense of country and constitution to others. Those who experience PTSD from firing a weapon.

scarab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2018
    Deep East Texas
    OK, here's the scenario: I don't NEED another rifle. I also don't NEED a new caliber (which would also mean new reloading dies, etc.) The more I see about the 6.5 Creedmoor, the more tempted I am to jump on the bandwagon. I don't have lease or anything that would let me use that long distance capability, and even if I did, I've got a couple of sub-MOA 30 cal rifles that would more than suffice. Of course, a new rifle means new optics and such, and very likely I'd have to unload some other firearms to cover the expense. (Those of you who have done that know how hard it is to part with firearms.) I ran across a Begara the other day that was just begging me to take it home.

Talk me out of this.
    Take a favorite caliber rifle out of your collection, like a 243, and have it "action blueprinted" with a new barrel from one of the better mfr's, like Bartlein, Kreiger, Shilen, etc. You will have a gun already decked out to fit you that you are accustomed to, with the accuracy of the CM at whatever distance you wish in ammo you already have. Worth the money and likely quite accurate to 500 yards +++ depending on load. If you don't mind the new ammo, you could even chamber to 6.5 CM on the same stock and action.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's how they lost the Mars orbiter.
    True, but if every contractor used God's own measurement system instead of the insidious metric/commie system there would have been no problem. I think the rest of the world should wake up.

scarab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2018
    Deep East Texas
    I've become slightly less interested over the last 6 months I've researched it.

My original plan was to get a 1000 yd shooter. My new plan is to get one my wife and I can both shoot. I've bounced back and forth between a Browning or Bargara vs getting an AR. Leaning AR now.

It's a light recoil rifle that my small wife can handle. And, I'm just interested in the AR myself.
    Have the rifle action blueprinted and you will have 1000 yards. Depending on the load, you may not have enough killing power at 1000 yards, unless you just want to shoot paper and prairie dogs. A good muzzle brake will take the recoil out of any rifle. The AR15 wasn't intended to be super accurate to 1000 yds, it's a short barreled light weight deer hunter at best for civilians. It can't really be action blueprinted because mil-spec is so loose, like the AK.

scarab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2018
    Deep East Texas
    True, but if every contractor used God's own measurement system instead of the insidious metric/commie system there would have been no problem. I think the rest of the world should wake up.
    The original "God's own" measurement system was the cubit, the length of your forearm from elbow to fingertip (~18"). Not very accurate since everyone had a different arm length.
    The metric system for distance shows it's weakness especially when calculating pump head pressure, true insanity if you've ever done it. Other parts of it: temperature, volume, pressure -- aren't that bad to work with, because the basis is plain old fresh water properties. The US system doesn't use water as the basis, except for "a pint is a pound the world around." BTW, money is metric.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I am not seeing it, it's a proven and established rd that lurked in the shadows of the prairie dog crowd for years and its emerged into the light of day and so far has held up very well unlike the 6.8 X.

Not only was the 6.8 a fad it was a scam meant to make a few folks very rich. I think it's now in the 3rd or 4th version still struggling for legitimacy. Its premise was great, convert a .270 into a short case rd but in (their) application it flopped because the group behind it had to make it different enough to claim ownership and therefore sell the rights to it. I am sure they all make a few bucks in the tidal wave of folks buying the new rd that was going to be the SOCOM standard and thus the Army standard.

I will say I too almost fell into the trap, but with luck I had a former guy who worked for me who now sat on the Army Small arms board, so I called him and in short he said don't waste your time or money we will not go with the 6.8 in any config, our testing has told us its all hype.

I don't think the same fate awaits the 6.5CM. The Army has released a RFP for it and it fits in the Army tactics at the Infantry level. Historically Infantry has worked and trained inside a 300M envelope and they now are pushing that out to 800M for the line unit soldier. Yes, I know well this is a training challenge as we have enough problems with soldiers hitting at 300M KD target now. In addition the training time to engage at 800M is far more then doing it at 300M, I think the solution is optics and based upon what I am reading the Army is going that direction in training. The ACOG made a loud and strong statement in the ME.

Stay with me on this Sam and we will see what happens...
    Oh Jeeze, yeah, the 6.8 sure is useless. Between 7.62x39 and 300 blackout, its done.

My comments about the cm being a fad; I'm not really explaining myself correctly. I will try again. As you said and it was a good point, the cm was a varmint popper waiting to rightfully earn its place with the rest of the industry. What makes it a fad is when marketing pushes something harder from outside factors and it not just being a great round. Why did it take a while to get a bigger push? Why would with such a great round, companies not push harder for it? We should be glad hornady was the ones to carry this round. Hornady is a brand everyone knows and is the best chance at standardizing something. Anyway, as for my questions, a company doesn't care how awesome something is. What they want is consumers. My point about it being a fad is pretty much an inside joke. If I was working a show or behind a counter in the early days of the cm, most newer shooters wouldn't have the attention span to want to know why its so great. Same with with the sig p320. Though I do not like it, when they first came out I got one and did enjoy its simplicity and nice trigger. Yet it was a hard one to sell. Then when the military started the trials, every ding bat would go to it like a month to a flame. Little of the same with the cm. Once its marketing got pushed harder, more newer or uneducated shooters step into a store, without any interest in the rifles twist rate and what loads are out there, scope choices, rifles barrel and stock bedding, or the fact most of these guys will only shoot 300 yards but tell you its 600.

I may sound jaded, I'm not. I love guns and I love talking to people. I just laugh at things in the gun world at times. It's a fad to me because there's a lot of people now who can't pick up a book or do any research and go yup that's a round I want to try.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    It's all good Ben, i was just saying they have a 6mm CM out on the market.
    Maybe one day i'll have custom "any type of gun" to add to my collection.
    I just recently purchased the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 & mounted a Vortex Diamondback 4x14 scope to it.... after tax i have $812 into it. Ive had it out to 200 yards so far with about 40 rounds through it. I'm by no means a long range precision shooter but having one to play with in the safe don't hurt. I know where i live i'll never have a chance to reach out to 800-1600 to push the rifle unless i get to go to someones property. I guess the main reason i got it was to have a bigger bore long range rifle... the only other large caliber rifle i have is the ol 30-30.

I guess if bigger bore & long range were my goals i guess i should just suck it up & get a Barret 99 in .50 ...lol. Buy once cry once!

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe one day i'll have custom "any type of gun" to add to my collection.
    I just recently purchased the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 & mounted a Vortex Diamondback 4x14 scope to it.... after tax i have $812 into it. Ive had it out to 200 yards so far with about 40 rounds through it. I'm by no means a long range precision shooter but having one to play with in the safe don't hurt. I know where i live i'll never have a chance to reach out to 800-1600 to push the rifle unless i get to go to someones property. I guess the main reason i got it was to have a long range rifle... the only other large caliber rifle i have is the ol 30-30.

That set-up is one you'll never regret. Lots of performance for the $$
    Can't tell you how many times I've come to almost getting their ranch in the 5.56

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    That set-up is one you'll never regret. Lots of performance for the $$
    Can't tell you how many times I've come to almost getting their ranch in the 5.56

That's what i was thinking too. I have already modified the stock & added some resin & steel rods to the front of the foregrip to keep it from flexing too much with the bipod loaded.

I seen your pics from the other day ... so jealous...lol. i would want my kids to nap all the time to go play around @ 1600yards. Hey kids ... who wants the pink Benadryl ...lol.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what i was thinking too. I have already modified the stock & added some resin & steel rods to the front of the foregrip to keep it from flexing too much with the bipod loaded.

I seen your pics from the other day ... so jealous...lol. i would want my kids to nap all the time to go play around @ 1600yards. Hey kids ... who wants the pink Benadryl ...lol.
    Man... benadryl has an adverse effect on my kids. It makes them crazy... the wife and I are at their mercy. If i'm shooting guns, 2 things are going on at my house. 1 Kids sleeping or 2 kids taking a bath.

I would say come on out and shoot... but your dang near 8hrs away. Hey... there is a long range club that holds prs matches there in Navasota. That's a stones throw away from ya. Didn't know if you were aware of that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No offense taken. That's exactly the point I was trying to humorously make to TheDan.

When the 6CM came out, I looked hard because a 6mm is in my future. Ultimately I decided that I'd just get a 6mmBR to go along with the 6.5mmBR I already have. I've never really been intrigued by the concept of pushing big bullets really fast to reach out for long distances. Smaller, efficient cartridges are what intrigue me.

Of course, I suppose if I wanted to do the work with that .340Wby of mine, it could accomplish the whole "big bullets at high speed for long range" task fairly well. It's a lightweight hunter but has been pretty accurate so far.

Forgive me. With advanced age, the mind wanders. :)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So blend 'em together and get a 6CM? :)
    lol yep... There's a handful of options that would fit the bill. The nice thing about .243 is that you can pick up ammo for it at any Walmart. I don't know if that's the case for any of the CM cartridges, but I am taking notice of 6.5's growing popularity.

tomballpa

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    I will simply say I love to shoot both of my 6.5 Creedmoor. They have less recoil than a 308 or 300 win mag. I have shot them out to 1400yrds. 15mph crosswind was a 12MOA hold left. Plus sub-MOA is never good enough for me. If the holes are touching I am never satisfied, which is what I am getting out of both my guns with factory ammo. I vote to buy it, we sell the B-14 HMR brand new for a little over $900.00

Top Bottom