6.5 CM Rifle - Talk me out of it

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Texasjack, May 20, 2018.

1. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Active Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    One of the reasons I don't jump on the 6.5 bandwagon 100 percent is we are already seeing bullet manufacturing give us some great bc stats. Even 30 cal. So while it's a useful cartridge, companies like Barnes and hornady give fresh life to old cartridges.

2. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Active Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    Depends if a varmint pisses me off. Only the most bothersome of pest got the justice of my ultra mag. Though oregon is different. Way more backstops on farms.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    FireInTheWire likes this.
  3. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Thanks for all the good posts! I'm enjoying the discussion - and both surprised and pleased it didn't attract trolls!

4. spill

spill New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Picked up a previously mentioned ruger predator for a hunt in 2016 myself and a couple of boxes of ELDX box ammo. Successful on the first outing to fill the freezer. Started longish range shooting with the same gun the following spring. First hit with the first shot at 1000 yards with ELDM and a more capable optic. Decided to get another dedicated 6.5CM dedicated bench rifle (bergara BMP) to use for the secondary task.

1800 rounds later and it’s still a sub MOA gun. I have reloaded for it but still use almost strictly box ammo. Price has come down on hornady cartridges so much it almost removes cost savings from the pros part of the equation for me.

Is it a fad? Only insofar that making holes or marks on objects in very tight groups is a fad. I’d say go for it if only because the cartridge has become very popular with lots of options for both ammo and manufacturers across all price points. A RAP can be had for under 400 still and you can carry it all day long. BTHP hornady can be had for .69 a round now. Good time to be on the bandwagon if the goal is precision.

deemus and FireInTheWire like this.
  5. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I am not seeing it, it's a proven and established rd that lurked in the shadows of the prairie dog crowd for years and its emerged into the light of day and so far has held up very well unlike the 6.8 X.

Not only was the 6.8 a fad it was a scam meant to make a few folks very rich. I think it's now in the 3rd or 4th version still struggling for legitimacy. Its premise was great, convert a .270 into a short case rd but in (their) application it flopped because the group behind it had to make it different enough to claim ownership and therefore sell the rights to it. I am sure they all make a few bucks in the tidal wave of folks buying the new rd that was going to be the SOCOM standard and thus the Army standard.

I will say I too almost fell into the trap, but with luck I had a former guy who worked for me who now sat on the Army Small arms board, so I called him and in short he said don't waste your time or money we will not go with the 6.8 in any config, our testing has told us its all hype.

I don't think the same fate awaits the 6.5CM. The Army has released a RFP for it and it fits in the Army tactics at the Infantry level. Historically Infantry has worked and trained inside a 300M envelope and they now are pushing that out to 800M for the line unit soldier. Yes, I know well this is a training challenge as we have enough problems with soldiers hitting at 300M KD target now. In addition the training time to engage at 800M is far more then doing it at 300M, I think the solution is optics and based upon what I am reading the Army is going that direction in training. The ACOG made a loud and strong statement in the ME.

Stay with me on this Sam and we will see what happens...

6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Just take a look at what the military has gone with....338 Norma Mag for >800M. WOW, even caught me by surprise as close as I watch.

What we are seeing is that everyone has their eyes on SOCOM. SOCOM is a mission driven org, if they need high top tennis shoes and water guns then that is what they go buy it and because everyone is watching if they buy a Mattel water pistol then suddenly their is a run on them and the mags and rags write stories of how SOCOM/Army is gong to standardized on Mattel, boom, every guy with a garage is putting together AR's that squirt water.

7. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    6.5mm sounds like some communist or fruitcake eurotrash round. I only shoot calibers in the measurement system that went to the moon.

FireInTheWire likes this.
  8. Utahgunner

Utahgunner New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Utah
    I own a Begara 6.5 CM and I love it my 95lbs daughter shoots it very well. Very little kick but I agree with the others if you can't shoot more than 400yrds than very boring.

9. avvidclif

avvidclif Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    How about 264 CM. That better?

Sam7sf and parmesan like this.
  10. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire But it's a dry heat TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Borden County
    What rifle is it?