• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I've been shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for about 8 years,and have assembled 3 rifles in the cartridge. They all have shot extremely accurate. My previous builds were based off of Savage actions,and I wanted to build this one off a custom action. I've had a spare Shilen select match barrel collecting dust for a couple years,so I just needed an action to screw it on.
    I purchased a LH Shilen DGR action with a 20 moa base,a trued barrel nut from Northland Shooter Supply and assembled/head spaced the barreled action. For a stock,I went with a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis. When the chassis arrived,I took it apart and sent all the aluminum chassis parts and the barreled action to Trinity Ordnance in Lake Worth,TX. for cerakoting.
    For optics,I went with the IOR Valdada Recon 4-28x50 and a pair of American Rifle Co. M10 40mm rings.
    I wanted to put a Bix'n Andy SportTac trigger on this rifle,but the LH safety versions aren't available yet. So,I purchased a TriggerTech "Special" trigger for the rifle. After installing,and trying the TriggerTech trigger,It will work out just fine. Zero creep,No over travel,and it breaks excellent. It came set at 2 lbs,and I've adjusted it down to 1.5 lbs.

I decided to use the new Lapua small primer brass with this rifle,and load the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X bullet. In my first testing,the rifle likes what it's getting fed.
    I used H4350 and Reloader 17 in my testing,but I was shooting off the Atlas bi-pod with the H4350 loads,and I wasn't comfortable so the groups suffered. I changed over to shooting off a front rest with the Reloader 17 loads,and I was shooting like I should.

*Note* The trigger hadn't arrived when I took the picture's of the rifle!
    20170824_100249-1.jpg
    20170824_100320.jpg
    006.JPG
    Hurley's Gold

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Nice rifle. 8yrs shooting 6.5 creedmoor is a long time thats almost as long as rob ormond lol.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Yeah,I waited a couple years after it came out before I jumped on the 6.5 mm wagon. Now,I shoot the 6.5 CM, 260 Remington,260 AI,6.5-06,and a 6.5x6.8 Wildcat AR cartidges.
    Before I started shooting the 6.5 CM,I always shot 224 - 257 - 30 - and 45 caliber rifles.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Nice build. I'm just getting started with the CM in a AR10 that I threw together recently. Shoot it for the first time last week. I like it already for the softer recoil compared to .308.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I went back to the range last week to verify my speeds with my Magnetospeed V3. It took a few rounds to foul the clean bore,then it just made a hole in the targets.
    42.2 gr of Reloader 17 at 2850 fps - 10 shots and a 5 shot group

dCeTElG.jpg

TdlIEZn.jpg

42.4 gr of H4350 at 2730 fps - 10 shots and a 5 shot group

4sz1Juu.jpg

fXveFMn.jpg

After removing the chronograph from my suppressor,I zeroed the scope on the target for each load.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Be leary of rl17 it can be very temp sensitive. With the huge temp swings we have here it was not consistent enough for myself.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Be leary of rl17 it can be very temp sensitive. With the huge temp swings we have here it was not consistent enough for myself.

I've used RL 17 in several different cartridges since it came out,it can be temp sensitive,but no more than a lot of other powders. As a very seasoned reloader,I work up loads that work for the time of year that I'm shooting them.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Keeping up with seasonal loads is way more work than I'm committed to doing. I want mine consistent year round. Just in the last 3 days we had almost a 50° swing in temps but I can grab my varget loads and still use the same speed for dope. I couldn't do that with 17. Reloader 16 on the other hand works great.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, seasonal loads sound like a PITA. Especially when you can get temp swings of 50* from morning to afternoon, lol.

But if it works for the shooter, more power to them.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I had one of my Remington 700 rifles converted from a .308 Win to 6.5 Creedmoor. This included a total overhaul of the action and stock. I picked the rifle up a couple of months ago. I have yet to shoot it. The gunsmith claims the rifle will be a sub 1/2"MOA rifle. The 25" Bartelin barrel is supposed to be very good with it's 5R rifling.
    I hope my rifle performs as well as this one does.
    After waiting ten months for the conversion, I will be highly disappointed if it doesn't.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom