• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The simple answer is no, they are very similar.

You can also include the 260 Remington in the mix.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has all of them beat in available factory ammo, reloading componants, and factory rifles chambered in it. That has more to do with advertising than anything.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The 6.5 Creedmoor has all of them beat in ... reloading componants ...
    About reloading components...

Now that Lapua has finally started making Creedmoor brass, they've essentially given up on their own 6.5x47 cartridge. Previously, the lack of Lapua brass for the Creedmoor was pretty much the only reason to choose the 6.5x47 but that's now changed,at least in the American market. (I've read that the Lapua cartridge is actually fairly popular in Europe but I have no personal knowledge of that.)

If someone wants a 6.5, there's the TCU for pistols, the Grendel for AR-15 pattern semi-autos, the Creedmoor for most things, and a few much-bigger cases for people who feel the need for speed.

Reasonable summary?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Shooting around both for a good while I would go x47L. It's typically 50-100fps slower but much easier to get a consistent load. During load development basically all loads shoot well and one simply has to pick the lowest single digit sd. Not saying the creed is bad it just sometimes takes more tweaking to get similar results.

Both Eyes Open

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Lubbock
    About reloading components...

Now that Lapua has finally started making Creedmoor brass, they've essentially given up on their own 6.5x47 cartridge. Previously, the lack of Lapua brass for the Creedmoor was pretty much the only reason to choose the 6.5x47 but that's now changed,at least in the American market. (I've read that the Lapua cartridge is actually fairly popular in Europe but I have no personal knowledge of that.)

If someone wants a 6.5, there's the TCU for pistols, the Grendel for AR-15 pattern semi-autos, the Creedmoor for most things, and a few much-bigger cases for people who feel the need for speed.

Reasonable summary?

Norma-USA and Starline also make brass for 6.5 Creedmore. I believe I read that Starline offers a choice of large or small primer pockets.

Both Eyes Open

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Lubbock
    The man who reloads for me really likes Starline brass. He is not a big fan of Norma brass. Says the pink tint is a sign of a lack of one of the elements in the alloy. Maybe tin? As far as sp vs. lp, his opinion is to use the recipe, including the primer, that works best in your weapon.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The .260 has slightly larger case capacity but not much. Out to 800 yards, they are equal from what I've read. The Creedmoor is the hot cartridge lately. Design for match use, it's also got a great selection of factory ammo compared to the .260. And now that Lapua is making brass for it, it's become even better. But I don't really like the small flash hole on Lapua brass.

I ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from AR15 Performance this week. Looking forward to working up loads for it. I'll be using some Starline brass I purchased in a failed attempt to convert to 270AR. I'm thinking I'll like 6.5 Creedmoor better than my .308 AR.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It really doesn't matter which 6.5mm cartridge you pick,they all shoot excellent with the bullets available today. I've been shooting the Creedmoor for 6-7 years,and just built my 4th rifle in the cartridge. I also shoot the 260 Remington,260 Ackley Improved,6.5-06,and a 6.5x6.8 wildcat AR.

I use Hornady and Nosler/Norma Creedmoor brass with my older rifle,and I'm trying out the Lapua brass with the new build. I've only shot the new build once,but the Lapua brass has impressed me so far. The Nosler brass is very good also. I'm going to buy some of the Starline and Peterson small primer 6.5 Creedmoor brass to try out also.
    I can get a lot faster velocities out of the Nosler and Lapua brass without pressure signs on the brass. The Hornady brass always has had problems with weak primer pockets,and if you push it,you will only get 1 or 2 firings from it before the primer pockets enlarge,and it's trashed.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    It really doesn't matter which 6.5mm cartridge you pick,they all shoot excellent with the bullets available today. I've been shooting the Creedmoor for 6-7 years,and just built my 4th rifle in the cartridge. I also shoot the 260 Remington,260 Ackley Improved,6.5-06,and a 6.5x6.8 wildcat AR.

I use Hornady and Nosler/Norma Creedmoor brass with my older rifle,and I'm trying out the Lapua brass with the new build. I've only shot the new build once,but the Lapua brass has impressed me so far. The Nosler brass is very good also. I'm going to buy some of the Starline and Peterson small primer 6.5 Creedmoor brass to try out also.
    I can get a lot faster velocities out of the Nosler and Lapua brass without pressure signs on the brass. The Hornady brass always has had problems with weak primer pockets,and if you push it,you will only get 1 or 2 firings from it before the primer pockets enlarge,and it's trashed.

What bullets and how fast are you pushing them?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    What bullets and how fast are you pushing them?
    Out of my new rifle,using the Lapua brass with the Hornady 143 gr ELD-X bullet I'm getting up to 2914 fps avg. using Reloader 17. H4350 is slower with an avg. of 2755 fps
    Those are the only two powders that I've tried in it so far,I have many others that I load with also.
    I waiting to find some Reloader 26,some guy's have had great results with it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Hornady brass always has had problems with weak primer pockets,and if you push it,you will only get 1 or 2 firings from it before the primer pockets enlarge,and it's trashed.

I have the same issue but am definitely loading hot. When I switch brass I am going to work up a new load that isn't so hot.

I have never had good luck with Hornady brass.

I do love their bullets though.

Fishhog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    East of Dallas
    I've been using 6.5 Creedmore for some time, shooting it out of a Savage bolt, Ruger American, and Aero Precision AR-10. I have been using Hornadys 123 gr.SST's out of all three rifles, and have had outstanding results. I've shot numerous hogs and deer with these rifles and the bullets perform very well. I haven't even found any factory ammo that doesn't group well in this caliber.

Top Bottom