• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have done a crazy amount of reading on these two, and am more confused / undecided than I was before.

I am putting together a new AR in one of these calibers, and need input. Tell me which one you like best and WHY.

FYI, I will be reloading for whatever I end up with, so not worried about ammo availability.
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It all depends on the style of weapon that you're wanting,and the intended use of it. When I was looking for a large framed AR,I wanted it in 6.5 Creedmoor since I had been shooting it in a couple custom bolt actions for several years.
    I wanted a 20" Hbar contour barrel since the rifle would mainly function as a pig rifle,but the only 6.5 Creedmoor rifles available back then were 24" Heavy Varmint contour profiles. I ended up buying a DPMS LR260H in 260 Remington since it was the exact style of rifle that I wanted. I couldn't be happier with it!

Don't leave out the 7mm-08 or 243 in your choices,they perform very well out of the AR platform also.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Since you plan to reload, 6.5C.
    Nothing bad to say about 308. It's a damn fine round and plenty accurate.
    6.5 just wins in the ballistic coefficient department. Hands down.
    At 1k, the 308 is running out of gas, the 6.5C is cruising.

Fishhog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    East of Dallas
    I've owned a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmore in an AR platform as well as both in bolt actions. As far as I am concerned, the Creedmore is my choice of caliber from now on. Light recoil and terrific performance. I have shot deer, and lots of pigs with the caliber and couldn't be happier with a different caliber.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Hey Deemus, I just spent $1,200 having a Remington 700 rifle converted from .308 Winchester to 6.5 Creedmoor. That is how much I like the 6.5 Creedmoor round.
    Performance wise the 6.5 has a flatter trajectory and the velocities between the two are about the same.
    I think the lighter recoil of the 6.5 makes it easier to be accurate with. The gunsmith that built my 6.5 rifle claims it will shoot sub 6" groups at 1,000 yards, sub 2" groups at 600 yards.
    Some may scoff at that accuracy, since class F shooters may have more accurate rifles. I have a total investment of $1,650 in my rifle, they have many times more than that in theirs. Being 69 years old, I can only hope to achieve such accuracy. But I am going to have fun trying.
    Let your heart be your guide. Choose what makes you happy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you aren't married to the 308 go Creedmoor.

I couldn't justify selling a 308 to get a Creedmoor but the Creedmoor is the better round.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks for the input guys! I was leaning 6.5, but will primarily use it for hunting, not the 500 yd target shooting some of you do with it. Just wasn't sure, but its gonna be a 6.5.

Gracias!

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks for the input guys! I was leaning 6.5, but will primarily use it for hunting, not the 500 yd target shooting some of you do with it. Just wasn't sure, but its gonna be a 6.5.

Gracias!
    All print articles I've read lately indicate that you'll be happy.
    From zebra on the African plains to pronghorn on the Prarie.
    It's a legitimate hunting round.
    Hell of a paper puncher to boot.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Got a friend that's a long time reloader and deer hunter. He put together a 6.5 Creedmoor and can't say enough about it. Accuracy is stellar and, as said, recoil is lighter. He's got a ranch in Mr. Home and now only uses the 6.5 for hunting. My vote is the 6.5!

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Both are fine for hunting out to 500 yards. But the 6.5 CM is the better cartridge when you move past that distance. It was actually designed as a precision cartridge for competition market and not hunting. But the superior ballistics at longer range and the lighter on recoil (compared to .308) make it a good choice for hunting. I find it slightly more difficult to reload based on the long skinny bullets. Bullet choice for the CM are also more limited compared to .308. But I like the cartridge alot and recently built a Aero AR10 in 6.5 CM. I also have a bolt and AR10 in .308. Don't care for either one due to the recoil. But they are easy to reload and accurate.

Whatever you build, go with an rifle length gas system with an adjustable gas block as most if not all AR10s are over-gassed. The adjustable gas block will help with the recoil and reduce the beating to the rifle. I have a 16" mid AR10 in .308 and its a beast to shoot. Shot it for the first time in several years last weekend a remembered how much I disliked it. The 6.5 CM would be my choice.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had not heard that part about the adjustable gas block, thanks.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I put an Odin adjustable gas block on mine. It's the first adjustable I've owed. When I I was at Gunmaster (in Richardson) last weekend picking up a gas tube, I notice they had the same block for $71. I paid $89 for the same gas block through Primary Arms. I only needed to opened mine up around 1.25 turns to get it to sling the brass at the 3-4 pm position.

Top Bottom