• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    I personally would go with the Grendel, from what I’ve seen there’s more bullet choices in the 6.5 than the .224 and I’ve been really lucky to be able to get 6.5 ammo. My 6.5 builds got a Wilson Combat 18” barrel that will shoot everything really well out of it from 100gr Wolf to 123eld-m or sst. It’s taken lots of hogs in the last three years.

Pdyson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    I built a Grendel after scoring a good deal on an odenworks barrel and bolt. It’s a great shooter but now I want a 6 ARC. I’ve heard they are getting 4000 rounds plus accurate barrel life. Thinking I’ll build one on a mini howa action for the grandson to take deer hunting.

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    I built a Grendel after scoring a good deal on an odenworks barrel and bolt. It’s a great shooter but now I want a 6 ARC. I’ve heard they are getting 4000 rounds plus accurate barrel life. Thinking I’ll build one on a mini howa action for the grandson to take deer hunting.
    I have a 6mm ARC that I have almost finished. Almost can't wait to get it to a range.

6mm ARC upper on an AR-15 lower. Semi-auto. Have it topped with a Maven RS.4 scope sitting in a SPUHR cantilever mount. Bore-sighting is next.

1000 meters should be an easy reach for this rig.

Attachments

• 20220430_120647.jpg
      20220430_120647.jpg
      251.7 KB · Views: 49

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I like the idea of the .224V, but I've heard way too much trouble with it trying to make precision loads. I've had an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel for years, and I like that cartridge so much, I bought a Howa mini-action in the same caliber. It's an easy cartridge to load and not finicky at all. It carries a lot more energy down range and has MUCH less wind drift. I compared factory 75g .224V & 123g 6.5G with the same wind on my ballistics calculator. At 800 yards, you get 71 vs. 51 inches of wind drift. That's a lot!
    I bought a 6.5G upper on Gunbroker a few years ago. It came with dies and about 200 pieces of brass. SUPER soft shooting. Very tolerant of different loads. I paid $200 w/shipping for the upper package... Threw it on a cheap lower and it shoots MOA all day long out to about 500 yards, no drama whatsoever.

I liked it so much I then did just like you and bought the HOWA mini- in the 6.5G, too. love them both.

I can't say enough good things about the 6.5 Grendel. Whether in an AR or a bolt, it's a very forgiving round... I would also add that for anyone thinking about getting into reloading, but wants a forgiving round that's a soft shooter, it would be VERY hard to find a better starter rifle cartridge imho.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Another vote for the 6.5 Grendel.... but here lately I've really been wanting a 6mm ARC. I've seen a few coyote videos of guys make 700 yard shots with the 6mmARC. But I've also seen the video of a guy in Utah at the Milk jug challenge make a 1500 yard shot with a 22" Grendel AR.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Another vote for the 6.5 Grendel.... but here lately I've really been wanting a 6mm ARC. I've seen a few coyote videos of guys make 700 yard shots with the 6mmARC. But I've also seen the video of a guy in Utah at the Milk jug challenge make a 1500 yard shot with a 22" Grendel AR.

I've got a friend with a 6 arc.
    It's a good 500 yd round.
    Chronograph kinda hurt his pride.
    It is what it is.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    6.5 Grendel would be my choice. I have one, and it's a pretty nice round that's easy to squeeze accuracy out of. It's also been around longer than any of the other rounds that fill that niche in the AR market (224 Valk, 6mm Arc, ect) and will probably be around long after those other rounds are well and truly dead. That's not to say that those other rounds aren't good. I just don't believe there's room in that market for all those rounds. Once the new wears off, they tend to lose popularity fast.

224 Valk never really impressed me, but I will say that the 6mm Arc has tempted me. If I didn't already have the Grendel, I would consider it seriously. I mostly reload everything I shoot and have no problem forming my own brass, so the longevity of the round is less of a concern for me. Even if both 6mm Arc and 6.5 Grendel dies, I believe brass can still be made for either from 7.62x39mm.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Glad I found this thread.
    After spinning around and around (right 'round baby right 'round...) I landed on the Grendel. I've shot the .223 in mid-range matches and love being able to beat the larger bore, longer action guns with something so diminutive. However I wanted something with a bit more boot-scoot to have some fun with. However, I don't love all the advantages so I'm building a 6.5g pistol with a 12.5" barrel and hoping to run it to some distance if I can ever find time to get to a range. I'd like to see how it does at 500-1000. I have a handful of bullets to try and still have some powder/primers floating around. Once I'm moved and settled in a touch I'll try to make something happen. Hoping that's sooner than later!
    Great thread.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I AM a 26cal fan, but I enjoy the 6.8spc more. Not enough bc difference in the lighter bullets, but the 6.8 gains in velocity. I would make a selection on the 6.5g before 224v. IF you want something soft shooting I have am118 chambered for AR10 with brake, bcg, gb and spring combo my cousins 7 year old son can shoot it all day.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I over analyze things sometimes and when I do I might never own something because of it. Not the fault of the Grendel and it has a lot of good things going for it that I think is a choice for a combat rifle. Yes. A cqb to a couple hundred yards, alright capacity, and accuracy for steel cases ammo is acceptable.

My hesitation with being a Grendel fan is hunting use. Hog no problem. Deer no problem. Going around North America on big game? Stop. Use a proper round at 500 yards. The 6.5g has generated a fan base that at times thinks it’s cool to pop elk at long ranges with a bullet that struggles with wind drift and has less than half the energy of say a 30-06 at 500.

Something I want to buy:
    Put an lvpo on it and it should make for a bad ass rifle.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom