Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Like Dawico I've considered both and need neither. That being said, I have a 300BO that's in the classifieds cause I already decided it's a terrible year to get into a new caliber. I only had one 50rd box of ammo when this all hit. I currently have a built lower and a billet slickside upper begging for a barrel and bcg.

The Grendel has tempted me but based on my 7.62x39 experience, I just feel like the AR will never run tapered cartridges and curved magazines well. The 300bo appealed to me as an American AK round that eliminates the crazy taper. As far as the 6.8spc, it seems to offer little over others but somehow I'm still drawn to it over the 6.5 Grendel.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I have issues ftf and/or fte with the 6.5g, but I think my 6.5g problems are with the mags? Both have been good rounds so I'll see what my reloads do? The 270win and 6.8spc aren't only 27cal guns, but have 4 different 26cal guns(6.5g, 6.5cm, 260rem and 264wm). The wm is the only ba. Haven't shot the other more than 50 rounds yet. I have the ammo, but not the time yet. Didn't purchase on hype, just caliber choice. Talk about hype, what about the 6arc? Count me out! I have a 243win in an ar for the 90gr fmj .

I’m a 6.5 junkie. I own (2) 6.5 Grendels, (3) 260 Remingtons - 1 is currently being punched out to AI, 6.5-284 and I have a 6.5 Proof blank just waiting to get made into a 264WM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Like Dawico I've considered both and need neither. That being said, I have a 300BO that's in the classifieds cause I already decided it's a terrible year to get into a new caliber. I only had one 50rd box of ammo when this all hit. I currently have a built lower and a billet slickside upper begging for a barrel and bcg.

The Grendel has tempted me but based on my 7.62x39 experience, I just feel like the AR will never run tapered cartridges and curved magazines well. The 300bo appealed to me as an American AK round that eliminates the crazy taper. As far as the 6.8spc, it seems to offer little over others but somehow I'm still drawn to it over the 6.5 Grendel.

Grendel mags are no more curved than 5.56 mags and the case certainly doesn’t have anywhere near the taper of the 7.62x39.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    More info on the 264wm please! My favorite cartridge!

Well currently I only have the barrel blank. Saving to buy the receiver, stock, bottom metal, etc.

The Proof barrel is a 28” Sendero contour with 8 twist.

I originally was going to build a 6.5 wildcat based on the 300 Norma case but the cost was just too prohibitive.

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    Just throwing this out there. Before diving into the $$$ of an AR10 build, I put this together to dip my toes into longer distance shooting. Its a 6.5G and am quite pleased at its performance out to 600 yards. The cartridge is supposedly good for another 200 yards or so, but haven't found a place with the room to try yet.
    20190821_151744.jpg

Last edited:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    How many times do you average being able to reload hornady or federal brass before you have to buy new brass. What powders have you tested? What reloading equipment are you using?
    AR platforms are harder on brass, but if you use it in only 1 gun then you could just reneck and not full length size it? The cases are formed to that gun after firing. That being said, I have full length sized winchester 264wm brass more than 10 times and load at top and over top load data with no brass issues. An AR could be around 5 to 8 times, less for comp people?

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    How many times do you average being able to reload hornady or federal brass before you have to buy new brass. What powders have you tested? What reloading equipment are you using?

I typically use Lapua brass and don’t know how many loadings I have on the original batch. I’d say it has to be between 8-10? I do have a few rounds of Hornady brass that I am on my 2nd loading after firing the original factory rounds with.

CFE223
    H335
    H4895
    N140 (I think)
    AR Comp

Forster Co-Ax press and Redding type S dies with competition seater. Also use an expander mandrel for final sizing of necks.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No experience this particular situation, but my general experience with Hornady brass is that you load it for the times that you don’t really expect to find it afterward.

Warm loads (not hot) kill the primer pockets. Moderate loads and you’ll only have to toss some of it after the first loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    No experience this particular situation, but my general experience with Hornady brass is that you load it for the times that you don’t really expect to find it afterward.

Warm loads (not hot) kill the primer pockets. Moderate loads and you’ll only have to toss some of it after the first loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amen. Exactly my experience.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You need to get on the Grendel website. 65grendel.com They've got a reloading thread/forum whatever. IMR 8208 is the shizz apparently. I've reloaded lots of Grendel by their recipes. Seems pretty good so far.

Top Bottom