• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm taking my CHL class later this month. I was told today by two seperate people that the wait time is up to 6-8 months!!! Evidently there has been a 30% increase in demand, and the folks up in Austin just can't keep up. They've hired additional help, but the wait time will still be crazy. Anyone hear about this???
    ARJ Defense ad

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Tomorow someone is going to post that they heard from their cousins sisters friend who works with this guy......that's it's a 2 year wait at this point.

See the other recent threads. It's taking much longer but more like 4 months. Unless, the 6-8 months is a forecast they expect to reach based on current staff and new/revised application numbers?

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Most of my students are reporting right at 90 days. Give the CHL department in Austin a break, though. Unfortunately, they're operating with a staff and budget based on 2 year old numbers. With the recent 40% increase in applications, they're overworked and understaffed. Send your representatives an email urging them to increase the budget for the DPS CHL office.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Most of my students are reporting right at 90 days. Give the CHL department in Austin a break, though. Unfortunately, they're operating with a staff and budget based on 2 year old numbers. With the recent 40% increase in applications, they're overworked and understaffed. Send your representatives an email urging them to increase the budget for the DPS CHL office.

Around 90 days is what I've heard from acquaintances as well. Some people jump off the tin foil end of the spectrum and start believing there is some sinister conspiracy for making them wait on their CHL. I'm not talking about anyone here, though I have seen talk like that in other forums. ;) It's just a case of an understaffed, under budget office as you mentioned.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    word of advise make sure your prints and photos are 100% perfect.

Surprisingly, this has been my only problem. I have yet to have any fingerprints rejected, but I've had two or three photos rejected; too dark. One thing I realized is cheap photo paper yellows quickly, especially in heat. A perfectly good photo may appear too dark after sitting in a hot car, hot mail truck or mail room. Buy good quality photo paper.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before moving to Texas, I obtained an Arizona CCW permit; received the permit about 10 days after completing training.

I have renewed the permit twice. The last time, Arizona deleted the requirement for requalification. The whole thing was handled by mail, and the renewal was received (apparently) by return mail.

It's less expensive than the Texas permit, too. :cool:

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    It's about 90-110 days. At around day 90 you should call DPS or send a letter to your representative and copy DPS to let them know what's going on.

The people that are in the 180 day range either submitted an incomplete packet, had their fingerprints rejected, or had a problem with their background.

When you get your fingerprints, make sure you paperclip an explanation of any scars or unusual marks. That seems to be what is hurting most people. Also, do the online application so they don't have to enter your information in at the DPS. It may not save you personally any days off the wait, but it is one less thing that DPS has to do.

Also, doing the online application means you will get your PIN number sooner so you can wear out your mouse and keyboard checking the status of your application online.

If you are applying under any special condition, such as veteran or active duty or anything else, make sure you include proof such as a DD214. It doesn't tell you anywhere that you have to, but you do. And it will just slow things down if you have to mail in paperwork later.

Good luck.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom