6.8 SPC has either large or small rifle primers?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Texas42, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I was looking at 6.8SPC brass and evidentially, the Remington brass uses a large rifle primer, and Hornady uses a small rifle Primer.

I guess this is a good thing that would allow you to use the primers you have on hand, but this seems rather wierd to me.

does anyone know which one of these would be better? I know the load data would have to be different.

Any opinions?

2. CarbonCycles

CarbonCycles Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I believe SSA uses the small primers, and SSA is considered to be the premier 68 source. Log onto 68forum for lots of good info

3. Reverendbiker

Reverendbiker Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I've had good luck reloading both, but the prevailing wisdom is that the larger primer leaves less metal in the bottom of the case, thus making it weaker. Since I'm no expert, I tend to rely on Silver State Armory; they produce some of the best factory ammo available for the 6.8. Though they will sell you new brass with the large rifle primer pocket, they load their own ammo with the smaller primers.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    That's odd as the Rem 7.62 X 39 ammo uses small rifle primers and everyone else uses large.