Venture Surplus ad

6 dead, dying or obsolete handgun cartridges. An article by Field n Stream.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't think 40S&W is going anywhere. It was the premier LE cartridge for almost 20 years. It just won't be quite as popular.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It may have achieved most of it's popularity because many LE agencies went to using the 40, over the 9mm, but if you look at pistol sales, I believe it's one of the top three picks for consumers.
    Guns International

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Didn't S&W clone the 32 H&R Mag and call it the .327?
    The .327Fed is a lot more powerful than .32H&R.....close in ballistics to 9mm. Ironically, .327Fed may be what has revitalized interest in .32H&R and .32S&W Long. All of them work in .327 revolvers and make effective SD rounds. But the H&R and Long rounds have far less recoil. This video explains it better.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    A friend of mine has a 45gap subcompact. He hates finding ammo for it. I've offered to take it off his hands cheap but he hasn't gotten yet. I can reload for it so it's not so bad for ammo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Even the factory ammo for the 10mm is watered down. 10mm is another one that needs handloads to realize it's full potential. Awesome round too. Definitely on my short list of pistols I would like to have.

Dame guys that complain about the recoil of the 40, would probably pee their britches if they shot a 10mm! Handloaded 10mm would probably break their delicate wrists too.

I have long thought the 40 would be a interesting cartridge to use in fully-auto submachine gun!
    You are shooting the wrong 10mm then, lol.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    The only place that I've ever seen 45GAP pistols or ammo is GT Distributors in Austin. They still post ammo for sale on their GunBroker page. I never saw a need for another .45 besides ACP so I never was interested in 45GAP.

I'll always have 40SW pistols because I like the caliber. I never considered it until the Great Sandy Hook Ammo Shortage when 40 was the only caliber readily available.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I only shoot the .40 well in a full size gun, but damn does it shoot good from an xdm. 180gr also stays subsonic out of a 4.5 inch barrel so nothing fancy for suppressor rnds.

Found a video I made last summer shooting off hand while filming. Ignore the heavy breathing. It's a long walk, and hot, and carrying a backpack and rifles. Guess I'm not in shape like my cc/football/track days.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    32acp? Nope. Its quite popular. If modern guns would chamber it, it would be more popular.
    Imagine a Ruger LCP or SIG P238 in it. Additional round capacity to boot.
    Look what happened to those Beretta 81’s from the Italian prison system that came in about 2 years ago. POOF! Naaaa nobody wants .32’s.

.25auto? Yeah. Its dying.

.41mag? Yeah. Its dying. Good round but ammo makers never really backed it. Few guns chambered for it around.

.32 H&R mag? Good round but then again it never really had a chance with few guns chambering it and practically zero ammo maker support. S&W should of made a seven shot j -frame in this ib the airweight line.

.40S&W is a loooong way from dead. There are bazillions of guns out there chambered for it.

.45GAP died on the launching pad. It was a dumb idea. Funny thing is I’ve recently begun to buy and shoot it in the .45acp moonclip revolvers because it was more readily available and less expensive than standard .45acp. LoL

I agree for the most part. For 41 mag though, I wouldn't say it's dying. It's in the same place it's really always been. It's a niche round with a small but fiercely loyal cult following. Unless those people completely die out, there's always going to be just enough demand for it to keep a small number of manufactures making it.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I foresee the .357 SIG going away sooner than the .45 GAP.
    But as someone once said, it ain’t over until the fat lady sings!

What makes you say that? I see WAY more guns being chambered in 357 Sig than 45 GAP. I think Glock are the only ones who have ever chambered a gun in 45 GAP for any significant amount of time.

357 Sig might be a niche round that never really caught on, but it's got way more going for it than the 45 GAP ever did.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's a niche round with a small but fiercely loyal cult following. Unless those people completely die out, there's always going to be just enough demand for it to keep a small number of manufactures making it.

I'm always amused by the "it's obsolete" round discussions. I have a Drilling in 8x57JR dating back to 1905/08....when's the last time you saw ANY gun chambered in it? Yeah - well, guess what - they STILL make factory rounds for 'em.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm always amused by the "it's obsolete" round discussions. I have a Drilling in 8x57JR dating back to 1905/08....when's the last time you saw ANY gun chambered in it? Yeah - well, guess what - they STILL make factory rounds for 'em.

Yeah. Technically if ammo is still being made, it by definition cannot be obsolete. Obsolescent would probably be a more accurate term.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I really didn't want a niche caliber but the 38 Super is one that I really like. It is such a smooth shooter in my Colt 1911.

.357SIG is a caliber that I tried in a Glock 31 and thought it was a cool round. I wouldn't mind a Sig P226 or P229 in that caliber since I sold the Glock a long time ago.

38 Super, along with a 10mm are on my short list that I want. I'm also drooling to get a revolver in 454 Casull. Just in case that some grizzly bears decide to migrate to East Texas!

Top Bottom