ARJ Defense ad

6 dead, dying or obsolete handgun cartridges. An article by Field n Stream.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    JayZues that friggin bear was FAST!!!
    Yep. That is why my “bear” pistol is an Alaskan in .454 Casull. I have no illusions about my draw and aim speed against a charging apex predator that has come out of nowhere. Figure my best bet is going to be a contact shot against the bitey end. Will be pretty easy to find the bitey end as I just need to follow whatever part of me feels like it is being eaten. Don’t need a long sight radius for that shot.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yep. That is why my “bear” pistol is an Alaskan in .454 Casull. I have no illusions about my draw and aim speed against a charging apex predator that has come out of nowhere. Figure my best bet is going to be a contact shot against the bitey end. Will be pretty easy to find the bitey end as I just need to follow whatever part of me feels like it is being eaten. Don’t need a long sight radius for that shot.
    Yup. if you are on the ground getting chewed on and have your draw arm free can unload into em. Be my thinking.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I used a .460 with a 5’ barrel or a 12 ga with buck and slugs for bear protection. Forget bear spray.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Why? .35 Remington is a great handgun round. I know I love mine.
    You have to pardon Ben, he thinks 30-30 is a great handgun round too.

lol, Well, in all fairness, I actually was thinking of the rifle Round or Rifle application of the 35 Remington.

I assume you were referencing a Thompson contender?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The .327Fed is a lot more powerful than .32H&R.....close in ballistics to 9mm. Ironically, .327Fed may be what has revitalized interest in .32H&R and .32S&W Long. All of them work in .327 revolvers and make effective SD rounds. But the H&R and Long rounds have far less recoil. This video explains it better.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and the link. I watched it and decided people better stop bitching about my .38+P specials and my snubbies. How can any .32 be a viable self defense round yet .38 somehow is old and not better?
    Was considering a .32 for recoil reduction and may make the jump now. But I love my snubbies. I guess its a generational thing

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    As for .32 acp it is a great small game rifle round. I wish I could find a rifle chambered for it instead of using a 308 and adapter.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Get an Alaskan, ported. The fireball is....impressive.

I am leaning towards either a Taurus Raging Bull, or the S&W 460, either of which equipped with a 6.5" barrel if I decide on getting a 454 Casull. I had a chance years ago to shoot my friend's converted Ruger Blackhawk in 454 and it was a handful and I have wanted one for myself ever since.
    Go to Sam Houston National Forest, you’ll find out very quick if there are Squatch!

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ain't really that far from where we are. According to some of those programs my wife watches on Sasquatch, East Texas has a high incidence of Sasquatch sightings over the years.
    Ain’t that where the Rainbow Family decided to occupy years back? Them unshaved hippy women might be easily confused for bigfooted stanksnatch.

Unshaved hippy women, that could be mistaken for Bigfoot, scare me more than Bigfoot!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Remington XP-100. A few folks around here have had a chance to fire it.

IIRC Ben, don't you have a couple of those? I always thought they were an interesting pistol. I have seen quite a few pictures of them and read an article about them in the early 1970's. I have only seen maybe one or two of them for sale at gun shows over the years as well.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    thanks ben, i do in fact find both of those to be extremely interesting. actually i spent a pretty decent amount of time trying to find the Dreyse, but to no avail. perhaps going with the .410 conversion would be more expedient, but it seems at least for a while i will be stuck with a chamber adapter.

though i wonder how much harder it would be to get a 32 acp fixed barrel semi auto pistol and fab a long barrel and stock to convert to a semi rifle. i imagine it might over gas without some kind of venting.

Top Bottom