Texas SOT

6 dead, dying or obsolete handgun cartridges. An article by Field n Stream.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    it's not worth it to me.
    I've begun to feel the same way about hard-kicking pistols. The last time I shot a .500 Magnum snubby with 700 grain loads, my wrists hurt for the rest of the day and were, well, "tender" (That's the best word I can think of.) the next day.

I think the next time I go to the range I'll shoot something that kicks hard and watch for any resulting pain. The day will come when it's time to give up the big boomers. I just hope that time hasn't already arrived.
    Guns International

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I've begun to feel the same way about hard-kicking pistols. The last time I shot a .500 Magnum snubby with 700 grain loads, my wrists hurt for the rest of the day and were, well, "tender" (That's the best word I can think of.) the next day.

I think the next time I go to the range I'll shoot something that kicks hard and watch for any resulting pain. The day will come when it's time to give up the big boomers. I just hope that time hasn't already arrived.

It's hard to stand with real men. You'd like my USMC buddy. He shoots the biguns too.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    I do know a thing or 2 about the pistol calibers….

Pistols don’t impart hydrostatic shock to a human body like a hunting rifle does.
    Pistols that are larger in caliber tend to make a bad guy expire faster due to blood loss and tissue disruption. This is why the .357 Mag is such a good performer.
    The .25 Auto, unbelievably, is a worse caliber than a .22 for dispatching bad guys.
    The .32 ACP doesn’t generate enough velocity to make the hollow points expand reliability. So, in essence, you’re shooting a bad guy with FMJ’s that under penetrate, unless they’re on top of you.
    The least caliber I carry is the .380 ACP!
    Here’s some facts about the .380…
    It’s the #1 caliber for gang members. Why? Because they like to buy throwaway pistols like bryco or jennings. When you hear on the news that a rival gang member was shot and killed by a 9mm, more than likely they were killed by a .380, because after all, it is really a 9mm. The .380 has killed more gang members than COVID, and other people.
    I shoot the .380 mainly because of what others on here talk about larger calibers battering my hands a lot more than smaller calibers.
    I am getting arthritis, and having neuropathy pains from an old military back injury. This is why I will be going with the .380 more in the future.
    If you think about it, most self defense scenarios happen within 6-9 ft. Within those parameters, the .380 works extremely well.
    If you think the .380 is a pipsqueak round, you haven’t seen the new results from the newer powders and bullets now out on the market.
    Do I feel under gunned using the 380? The simple answer is NO.
    If I were using the .25 and .32 ACP, I would feel under gunned, and probably unload everything in the magazine against a bad guy, and pray they work.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Why shoot anything that bites the hand pulling the trigger

If this is aimed at me, I won't shoot it, with this ammo for fun, obviously.
    It is for self defense only.

I would only use it if confronted outside my home, walking around the yard.
    As I stated, it is carried in the pocket of my shorts.

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    My FFL was surprised to see me buy a 40 S&W Shield. He said everyone wants the 9 mm. Told him leave it to me to buy a pistol caliber nobody wants. Also told him I got this new Shield for only $365. He didn't say much after that.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

benenglish,

Have you tried out any of the 12 gauge "NOT a sawed-off shotgun", "NOT a pistol", i.e., "just a firearm", PUMP-guns with the 14" barrel, that are meant to be fired with one hand on the grip??

What is the "KICK" like with BUCKSHOT??

just asking, satx

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    No I haven’t tried a 12 ga pistol second part of that is I’m not going to. I shoot trap and every now and then sporting clays but not often

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    Get an Alaskan, ported. The fireball is....impressive.
    1621374589337.png

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    benenglish,

Have you tried out any of the 12 gauge "NOT a sawed-off shotgun", "NOT a pistol", i.e., "just a firearm", PUMP-guns with the 14" barrel, that are meant to be fired with one hand on the grip??

What is the "KICK" like with BUCKSHOT??

just asking, satx
    I'm considering a Shockwave in 20ga as a truck gun. Recoil should be more manageable than the 12ga, and I already have plenty of 20ga ammo.

Demonstrated Concepts YouTube channel has some good ideas about the Shockwave's usefulness....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm considering a Shockwave in 20ga as a truck gun. Recoil should be more manageable than the 12ga, and I already have plenty of 20ga ammo.

Demonstrated Concepts YouTube channel has some good ideas about the Shockwave's usefulness....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Go with the 12. Get the Opsol adapter. Load 8+1 mini slugs or mini buckshot (1-3/4”) attach Crimson Trace green laser saddle.
    You're welcome.

Top Bottom