• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I have a well built AR in 556 that needs glass. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 600 yds with that rifle and have no problems identifying my target. It is a heavy rifle so I'm not concerned about weight. I have a Vortex Razor I considered putting on but that seemed like overkill and that is now going on my 6.5 I'm building.

The Trijicon 4-16x50 AccuPower looks nice. Really would like to have a precision scope with their fiber optic/tritium system, that be a nice setup.
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've had an trijicon in 1-4. Green triangle on a post. Absolutely brilliantly clear glass and its built like a tank. The illumination is bada$$. Full sun or in the dark.

The turrets have sharp positive clicks. Field of view is top notch.

It's a bit heavy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Get more maximum then that. 3-9 is dated. A 30mm lens is incredibly bright as is. This is top level stuff that breaks rules.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I just don't know about the 50mm objective. It really does seem a little big for 600yds. I have some 40s and a 56, I think I'll swap them on and see how they look in proportion to the rifle.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What is your anticipated target?

You will need that Razor if you are shooting groundhogs or other small targets.

You can use a red dot if the target is a Buick.

If it's just paper or steel then you just have to decide how much zoom you want.

Your budget is also a deciding factor.

If you are looking at a dollar a yard the Gen 1 Vortex PST/ HSTs are hard to beat. The 50mm Objective models run about that. The smaller models are a little cheaper.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I wholeheartedly agree with what Dawico said. At distance, more CLEAR magnification can help for smaller groups. I use the 10x SWFA scope that Darqhelmet suggested on one of my bolt .223's and it will definitely get you on a reasonable sized steel target at 600 yards.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I like my fixed power Trijicon (3.5x) and if you are target shooting it does offer up a consistent glass and on which to judge your personal accuracy. On the other hand a variable power can give you more dimensions to choose from but does give you more reliance on the glass.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm in the same boat as the OP minus the trijicon budget. I'm looking at the Vortex diamondback in 4-16x 42mm. I have a few AR setups using the Nikon P and M series scopes(3-9x and 4-12x). I agree with another poster about 9x magnification. Even at 12x, I wouldn't go past 300-400 yds confidently.

Another consideration for me are Primary arms offerings in 4-16x but reviews on the cheaper models are all over the map.

I plan on mounting one on a white oak 18" SPR or possibly another build with an FN 20" barrel. Although bulky, I'm also thinking a 30mm tube is the way to go.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You typically get more light through a 30 mm tube, but what you really get is more adjustment out of the erector. If you're having to dial in a bunch of adjustment, the bigger tubes help.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I'm in the same boat as the OP minus the trijicon budget. I'm looking at the Vortex diamondback in 4-16x 42mm. I have a few AR setups using the Nikon P and M series scopes(3-9x and 4-12x). I agree with another poster about 9x magnification. Even at 12x, I wouldn't go past 300-400 yds confidently.

Another consideration for me are Primary arms offerings in 4-16x but reviews on the cheaper models are all over the map.

I plan on mounting one on a white oak 18" SPR or possibly another build with an FN 20" barrel. Although bulky, I'm also thinking a 30mm tube is the way to go.

Redfield's Revolution might be on par with some of the Diamondbacks and is made in America.

I'm not looking to always shoot at 600 with a 556 but more or less want the capability and option. 300-400 will be more common. This is my "ultimate" 5.56 and don't mind putting a little money in glass. If red dawn happened this is probably the rifle I'd grab.

Top Bottom