• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    One of our hobbies is riding bikes. We sold ours back in Aug. '08 to prepare for our move back Conus. Since then, we're both eager to get back on the road, given job/house/finances are ready.

I like sport standards. I'm looking at midrange bikes as they're a great balance between road trip power/fun factor/enough bike, but not too much bike for little ol' me. I do love a Vtwin rumble and predictable power curve.

Anyone have experience with any of these bikes?? I've sat on most if not all of them, not ridden any. Only listed those in the title because they wouldn't all fit! lol

Duc Monster (620-SR2)

Ninja 650R (2009 model)

Aprilia Mana 750

Aprilia Shiver 850

Triumph Street Triple 675

Suzuki Gladius 650

Suzuki SV650S
    Guns International

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I get several motorcycle mags, so I can only regurgitate what they have printed (since we sold our bike last year).

Did you know the Aprilia Mana 850 has an automatic transmission?!? No more shifting! I think that's pretty cool.

To keep on topic here, have you considered the only real 750cc sport bike left, the GSX-R750? The reason I ask is because the mags always talk about what a fantastic size & bike it has become.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    All my motomag subscriptions are voluntarily out :( Stupid budget!

Did you know the Aprilia Mana 850 has an automatic transmission?!? No more shifting! I think that's pretty cool.

Yup! (oops, got my disaplacement backwards on the 'prilias) When I first read about it we were in Japan and the bike looked awesome in the pics. I finally got to see on in AU on vacation last Sept. Unfortunately I didn't get on it since it was crammed in with a bunch of other bikes on the lot. But standing in front of it, it looked really big. And it is! I went to an Eyetalian shop out here on 35E and discussed my needs and the Mana in length. I got on it and the bike is just BIG. Width of the engine and body are inflated. The seat height is up there. And I find it DUMB for lack of a better word since this bike's target demographic is new riders/women/disabled or elderly folks. How is a wide stance and tall seat suppose to inspire confidence? Now, after a seat shave (the seat is super thick 4-5" of padding) the foot placement gets better. It would just be an immediate sale if it came more easily ridable from the start. As for the bike's performance, the thing is suppose to be awesome both for the target riders or experienced folks looking for a fun change of pace.

Oddly enough, I'm torn between the CVT tranny and the good old clutch shift. I've learned to ride with the clutch and LUV the vroom vroom of it

To keep on topic here, have you considered the only real 750cc sport bike left, the GSX-R750? The reason I ask is because the mags always talk about what a fantastic size & bike it has become.

Since the beginning I've ruled out pure sportikes soley because of the seating position and handlebar reach/ergos. The sport standard style is a very user friendly bike geometry wise so its easier for me to balance and move on it, and the bike is easier to 'ride itself'. Its not just sportbikes either, I won't consider a cruiser.

My sister is looking at a GSXR750. She is currently on a Harley. Besides, I can't steal her idea lol I did for grins and giggles sit on a '08 750 at the shop. The foot placement on the seat actually fit well, I was impressed.

I think overall, I won't consider a sportbike unless I start riding at the track. Our riding style is pretty leisurely, plus we'll be doing longer road trips as well as get to the backroads for some twisty fun.

Ohh, while I'm thinking of it, I got some vids on youtube of our Japan bikes and random riding here:

YouTube - MMK13's Channel

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Well, not to make your choice any more difficult than it is.......there is ONE bike that has won year after year for being MOTY in your size range.........Honda Interceptor (800cc). They classify it as a sport bike, but everyone knows it is a sport/touring bike. They even offer hard bags for it. It handles great and has plenty of power, plus, it's supposed to be all-day comfortable. I've sat on it, it's very comfortable (though you may remember that I'm a bit taller than you).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    VFRs are nice. The Japanese motorcycle cops use them

I wonder if it may be too heavy for me to feel comfortable with (just looking at the specs). It's wet weight is 540lbs. But you never know, I've never sat on one. I think I'll do that next time I'm back at the shop!

Its certainly in the sport touring family, reminds me of the Duc ST2.

Top Bottom