• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    To protect property from them, right? Pretty sure it doesn't have to be your property.

Doesn't have to be, but if the property belongs to someone else you have to be acting as the agent of that landowner.

If you have the land owners permission its the same thing as being your own land... But double check that one with a game warden... But on the sensible side, SHOOT EM ALL!!!!
    You still need a license to kill hogs on your own property, unless they are causing damage.
    Lynx Defense

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    One pretty much needs a license to hunt anything in the state of Texas. Period. Key word is hunt. Hogs, and many other animals are not considered game and/or native animals so they do not necessarily have to be tagged or limited, etc. The big issue will be when you're hunting hogs at night, with a spotlight, out of a truck/jeep, and with a suppressor (all legal I believe) and you have to explain all of what you're doing to a TPWD officer. Best way I've found to handle that would be to visit (in person or by phone) with an officer in your area and let him know ahead of time what your plans are. Just my two bits.

brocknchrist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    south texas
    You still need a license to kill hogs on your own property, unless they are causing damage.[/QUOTE]

All hogs cause damage... Thats all they do...

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

Fred B.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dallas
    Mosin is overkill and will wear out your shoulder if you are gonna do alot of shooting. But it is fun to make a big hole in a hog....

My son just back to Lubbock after help move some cattle out of Bastrop County to Llano County because of the fires.They got to spend some time on the Llano ranch Dove hunting too.
    He had his Mosin with him too. He said he got a 400 pounder. Said the round hit the hog and it just stood there for a second then dropped like a sack of rocks.About a 200 yard shot.
    Those Mosin's work.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A friend of mine shoots hogs on his property with .223/5.56.

He is the landowner and has no requirement to obtain a license from the state to slay the vermin.

According to TPWD: "No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes ..."

Be well.

McClintock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Funny but when I ask about hog hunting I get every answer imaginable. I have a .243 and hoping to hunt hog with it. When I ask, I hear "you can kill a hog with anything with a well placed shot" and the next person will say "what?!? You are risking your life if you don't have a gatlin gun!"

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Is 80 grain enough? 95 or greater isn't better?

Either is fine. shoot what your rifle likes. I've certainly killed plenty of deer and hogs DRT with the 80gr TTSX. The .243 is not my go-to caliber for hogs, but it's certainly enough to put one down. As you know though, shot placement is key. Not much margin for error with a piddly .243 bullet, no matter how fast or heavy it is. ;)

jarrodbarnes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    I use a .243 with American whitetail. Does the job as long as you focus on shot placement. It won't bring down a boat with a broadside shot but a head or neck shot does the trick! I also use an AR 15 .223 for when there are herds of pigs. I use razorback XT ammo in my .223 and it rocks. Just hit 'em in the neck/head. Hell, a 22 will kill a pig if you hit 'em in the eye hole ;) my first two hogs ever were taken with a 22-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

What is "enough gun" for hogs is "problematic". = I've taken hogs with a .30 caliber Carbine & .243 that fell like they were poleaxed & seen hogs that FINALLY "bled out" from multiple hits in the chest with a 30-06.
    (I also once took a about 100# hog with a Model 10 S&W with a JHP at about 10 yards.)

In one case that I personally know of, a military game warden was "treed" in a pickup truck by a BIG Boar & the hog kept getting back up after 6 point-blank shots from a Garand loaded with JSP. = The hog kept coming after the man after repeated shots to the neck & chest from about 60 yards to TWENTY FEET.
    (Upon the hog being dressed out, it was seen that ANY of the shots COULD have been fatal but were obviously not.)

Fwiw, my "go-to" hog rifle is a Model 760 Remington in .300 Savage loaded with 150 grain JSP, which isn't as powerful as a .308 Winchester.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom