• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMELLNROSES

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    I do not recognize borders.
    What works on a static range or even in an organized competition may not necessarily work in a tactical situation. Put on a pack, or a chest rig, or both, and then try to reach out and grab the handguard. You probably wont be able to do it, and even if you can it will be uncomfortable and your movement will be restricted. Your grip on your rifle will likely be determined by the situation, and there is no one-size-fits-all. If you believe that there is only one correct way of doing it, then you are way behind the curve. Besides that, we are mainly talking about an AK here....keep it simple, don't over think it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What works on a static range or even in an organized competition may not necessarily work in a tactical situation. Put on a pack, or a chest rig, or both, and then try to reach out and grab the handguard. You probably wont be able to do it, and even if you can it will be uncomfortable and your movement will be restricted. Your grip on your rifle will likely be determined by the situation, and there is no one-size-fits-all. If you believe that there is only one correct way of doing it, then you are way behind the curve. Besides that, we are mainly talking about an AK here....keep it simple, don't over think it.

I've done that, and it works fine for me. Seems to work fine for the Delta and SEAL guys, too...

Look, if someone can't get their hand out on the handguard, they're not going to be able to use a pistol, because the arm/shoulder position is exactly the same.

Someone is searching for pix of Spetznatz (sp?) holding they AKs way out front right now...

Pff, Spetsnaz? Frankly, they're a joke. If ten terrorists take 30 hostages, Spetsnaz roll in with 40 body bags. They might be tough dudes, I have no doubt about that. But their training (and equipment) is shit. Any Western team - UK SAS, AUS SAS, any team from USSOCOM, etc. would tear a comparable Spetsnaz unit to shreds. Sorry.

That ex-Spetsnaz clown Sonny Puzikas is going to be teaching a GSW treatment class soon, which is hilarious because that dumbass shot another instructor in a shoot house not very long ago.

So if you think using "but Spetsnaz...!" holds any water for me, think again. :p

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Cute. What does Magpul have to do with anything? Just because that's the first place you saw that shooting style doesn't mean they invented it.

Nor does it make the Spetsnaz less of a joke.

Ha. I dont have a dog in this fight man. Just saying if Spetsnaz had some cool magpul gear it might improve their tactics. Half joking.

Seriously, i shot rushthezeplins AR with the long forearm on it the other day and i could feel the advantage over the carbine length handguard and i do use the "C" clamp grip on my carbine i just dont have enough room to reach way out with a straight arm on mine.

I dont know if i mentioned it previously but i think some guys grab the magazine or mag well due to fatigue on patrol and also you can shoot over barricades/defensive walls with the barrel and forearm resting as low as possible and also keeping your body and arms lower and more concealed.

I guess im saying dont mock the technique it has its purposes but at the same time i recognize as should anyone who studies shooting as a science that the more modern support hand far forward and thumb over handguard certainly has some major benefits as well.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    M Sage, how much of the arm almost locked out shooting method comes from the grip (having the thumb on top) vs having the hand holding the weapon far out?
    I really like my carbine length setup but im now considering changing it up to a long hand guard after shooting a gun setup that way.

Im sure for my non competition purposes what i have will suffice.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd say most comes from how far out you put your hand. I know a lot of people who don't grip over the top and aren't running noticeably slower. I noticed an improvement in control shooting shotguns by moving my hand forward, but putting a thumb over would block sight picture and eventually lead to burns. That said, you can get too low and spoil the effect. If you're under the rifle/shotgun, you end up with the same basic problem as people who "tea cup" with a pistol - the support hand is on the wrong side of the recoil forces.

Top Bottom