• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2W2X1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    recently transplanting from California where my options were pretty much nil, I am finding myself overwhelmed with options. If you had a $3k max budget for rifle and scope or red dot package, what would you choose from the offerings in this state?

I won't need to spend any of the budget on ammo as I have plenty on hand. Thanks in advance.
    DK Firearms

2W2X1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    I am leaning heavily toward the new version of the CMMG Mutant. But it is hard to look away from the traditional AK platform. Just not sure which of the AKs are really reliable and worth the cost.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    For doing what? For spewing bullets, an AK. For cheap fun, an SKS. For a rifle that will shoot surprising far with accuracy, a Howa bolt action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2W2X1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    Spewing by definition above. Looking to replace the Saiga I left back in CA.

Something that takes AK mags is preferred.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    7.62x39 ?

Seems there are 2 directions.

Most any of the jillions of AK47 variants will delightfully spew bullets downrange with great noise, reliability and adequate plinking accuracy.
    Nice pre89 purist imports are getting scarcer, though I favor them for the historical aspect.

The Howa bolt gun has been mentioned.
    Ruger's American Rifle in 7.62x39 is an attractive choice for serious shooting.
    The 7.62x39 has not exactly built it's reputation based on precision shooting though, knowing Ruger, their offering would likely wring the round's best performance out of it.

Anyone here actually shot any of the bolt-gun offering.

I will say the AR15 7.62x39 build I did shot tight 5-8 MOA groups(!!!) and filled my face with some pretty nasty acrid smoke through the ejection port! Yech. Not recommended.

A buddy's factory Colt AR-15 shorter in 7.62x39 was utterly reliable and casual shooting got 3" groups at 100 yards, though they are getting to be collectables I'm thinking.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Just buy an AK. Unless you really want to blow that 3K on something unusual that will do the same thing, especially if you want to stick with AK mags. Do some research as American made AK's (RAS-47, DDI, I.O) have had some issues. I personally like all flavors of rifle in 7.62X39 (except AR's)and have SKS's, AK's, CZ bolt-action and a Rasheed and enjoy them all.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unsicientific experiment over the weekend showed that the SKS is far superior to the AK...if you want to hit your target at 200 yards.

2W2X1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    ...especially if you want to stick with AK mags.

The CMMG mutant accepts AK mags, sans cheap Chinese mags per review I saw Hickok45 do.

I am all for the traditional AK platform, just seem to be lost in the sea of offerings. Seems reviews are all over the map and now that they are no longer imported, I can't simply walk into a store and find a decent one. Have heard too many horror stories of the expensive I.O. and Atlantic Arms variants being junk for what you pay.

The Saiga was accurate to 100yds and I don't expect this new semi-automatic replacement to do much better reaching 200yds.

The Kalashnikov USA website is junk. Are the US made AKs even out yet?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The CMMG mutant accepts AK mags, sans cheap Chinese mags per review I saw Hickok45 do.

I am all for the traditional AK platform, just seem to be lost in the sea of offerings. Seems reviews are all over the map and now that they are no longer imported, I can't simply walk into a store and find a decent one. Have heard too many horror stories of the expensive I.O. and Atlantic Arms variants being junk for what you pay.

The Saiga was accurate to 100yds and I don't expect this new semi-automatic replacement to do much better reaching 200yds.

The Kalashnikov USA website is junk. Are the US made AKs even out yet?

Just to note, the import restrictions only apply to Russian rifles. There are many other countries that export Kalashnikov rifles, such as Bulgaria, Hungary, Serbia (a.k.a. The Former Yugoslavia) and yes, even Romania!

The current production WASR-10s are receiving great reviews. The latest PAPs from Serbia not so much, but the older ones did well. The market has been, as you've noticed, "all over the map."

I don't know who "Atlantic Arms" is, but if you're referring to Atlantic Firearms then they've always had a good reputation of standing behind the rifles they sell.

But do steer clear of Inter Ordinance, they are shit.

Just do your research and you'll find there are a fair number of good AKs to choose from out there!
    anim_ak.gif

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The first step in conducting an "unsicientific experiment" is learning how to spell "unscientific!" :clown:
    Lets just say, a magazine full from an AK didn't produce a hit on target. A few rounds from an SKS produced multiple hits.
    Spelling be damned.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    7.62x39 ?
    Anyone here actually shot any of the bolt-gun offering. ...
    Oh, yes. I love my CZ527. I put a 4X Burris on it. It's reasonably accurate. The set trigger is a joy. It's compact. Heck, it's turned out to be the only centerfire bolt action rifle that I actually shoot on any sort of regular basis.

I've had it for many years. I'd be willing to bet the small Howa is an even better rifle. If I were buying now, I'd lean that way.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Unsicientific experiment over the weekend showed that the SKS is far superior to the AK...if you want to hit your target at 200 yards.

Lets just say, a magazine full from an AK didn't produce a hit on target. A few rounds from an SKS produced multiple hits.
    Spelling be damned.

My poor Chinese AK made a bad impression on y'all. In her defense she has been put through the ringer. I've had it since the early 90s and put thousands of rounds through it. I won't argue that anything smaller than the broad side of a barn has a good chance of escaping injury though.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Oh, yes. I love my CZ527. I put a 4X Burris on it. It's reasonably accurate. The set trigger is a joy. It's compact. Heck, it's turned out to be the only centerfire bolt action rifle that I actually shoot on any sort of regular basis.

I've had it for many years. I'd be willing to bet the small Howa is an even better rifle. If I were buying now, I'd lean that way.

This^^^^
    I have the CZ527 in 7.62x39 also and it is a dream to shoot. The set trigger makes all the difference in the world. And yes, it can be a tack driver especially if you load your own. A real bargain for the money.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Not all AK variants are equal- I've built a a Romanian G from a kit- it was a virgin kit, and shoots pretty well- with a chrome lined barrel. Some of the best shooting 7.62x39 AKs I've seen are Yugoslavian.. the old M70B1 was very reliable, and a bit more accurate (probably because the barrels were not chrome lined, their Chrome lining was not refined back then). The current version of Yugos would be Zastava N-PAP... and is decent, but not exceptional. I have no experience with US made AKs (yet). The obvious advantage is no 922(r) requirements to meet if it's domestic.

Old Russian AKs are best if you want to look at them, they have better fit and finish- but they don't shoot better. The VEPRs are very good, but pricey to get one now- especially if you want one "converted" to the proper configuration (pistol grip vs thumbhole stock)

Much of the accuracy issues with the AK platforms are in sloppy tolerances (which are by design for reliability and cheap manufacturing), and the ammo. There was somebody on one of the AK building websites that built a .223 AK that he experimented with and got better than 1 MOA after tightening things up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom