• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coastal76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2018
    Houston
    Gee, where to start?

It would be helpful if you shared a little more criteria on what you are looking for, i.e. price, style, etc.

As stated, your main choices are an AK/AKM or a SKS. There are other rifles in that caliber around, but if you're looking something specifically built for the 7.62x39 round, those are the two you should consider.

Now, despite what some of the unknowing claim, there are differences in Kalashnikov rifles. Simonovs tend to be reliable no matter what the country of origin; but with AKs/AKMs there is a wide variance and you don't want one of the crappy ones. First and foremost, steer clear of anything with "I.O." on it. Same pretty much holds true for anything manufactured by Century (note I said "manufactured," not imported!). While I have an original C39 and it's a superb shooter, it's suffering from the same weird wear issues that plagued most of their AKs. Better just to avoid them. And while you're doing so, the same pretty much holds true for all US-made AK variants. Some are OK, but why bother when there are better (and cheaper) options out there?

As for everything else (basically COMBLOC and Chinese), there's been several threads about those on here so do a little searching. If you read those threads and still have questions, let us know.

Lastly, what's your price range and intended use of the rifle? If the latter is just range use, that can change the recommendation; but if you're going to be serious and train with it, that will drive a different dialogue (and price!). Just also note that more expensive doesn't always mean better in all cases.

Best of luck in your research and search, I love that round and have a variety of firearms that shoot it. One of these days I will pick up a bolt action CZ 527 to the collection. Why not, I certainly have enough ammo for it!

Cheers! M2
    I do lean towards the AR style. My use will be range mostly. I am trying to stay below $1,500.00. I would like to incorporate some longer distance shooting. Not really sure what distance the semi auto can really reach at this point. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I do lean towards the AR style. My use will be range mostly. I am trying to stay below $1,500.00. I would like to incorporate some longer distance shooting. Not really sure what distance the semi auto can really reach at this point. Thanks

$1,500 for a “longer distance shooting”, 7.62x39? And it’s your first step into that caliber? I would think that criteria would be for someone more well versed who already has several and is moving upward in the category.

To me that round is fun for plinking, even at distance for fun, or hunting hogs and those types of things. Buy an inexpensive AK, think PSA, and go from there.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone

I think I have about $450 into my 7.62Commie AR. The lower is an 80% I paid $50 for in Commifornica, a $50 lower parts kit, and around $300 for the upper with charging handle. Works great, has had a couple thousand rounds of old Romanian 80's surplus though it. :)
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg

I like my old pre-ban Commie gun too, and I won't make you guys cry telling you how much I paid for it. LOL
    AK_6339.JPG

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Semi auto

Sig 556R

M10X

AK or RPK if you wanna a big boy

VZ58 / vz2008. - Got one. Awesone choice beside an AK.

AR with reciever for AK mags.

Ruger Mini 30

Then theres the old tried and true SKS. Im a Yugo guy. Russian and yugos are quality built. Chinese are a what they are.

Bolt action

Ruger American

Howa

CZ

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I've got two of the Sig 556R carbines with the improved magwell. I love 'em, and I've had good luck with most of the AK mags I've tried. I've also got an SKS, but I've never been a big fan of the AK. They're great tools but they're not my tool.
    Forgot to add that I've got a PTR32 (Version 1.5), and it has worked well for me. It's not as reliable with a wide variety of AK mags as my Sig 556R carbines have been, but it's solid.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Nice! Just be sure you hang on to it when you fire it! 7.62 AKs seem to have a bit more recoil than the .223 ARs. I'd like to have one with a folding stock.

I bought one of the newer PSA AK's to try out. Supposedly all forged and billet parts now. I haven't shot it yet as it has been raining so much. It was a blem, but I can't find one. $499 It got a good review in the torture test I read about it.

fVct1Hn.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom