• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Since every rifle is unique, bore, rifling, etc the rule of reloading has always been start low and work up. A caveat though. There are some loads that have a minimum charge as they have been known to explode. Research is your friend.

I agree that research is your friend. I’ve gone through 3 hardback reloading manuals and only one said anything about reducing the load by 10% I believe, don’t have the manual in front of me as I type this. Thus the reason a posted the question here as part of researching and asking for thoughts from all the reloaders on here. Thanks for all the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Measuring case volume is pretty silly. Seating depth is just as important because the fill ratio is what counts. With some powders, below min will give an incomplete ignition (dangerous), deeper seating creates higher pressure (higher fill). Deep seating can also cause a compressed load that some powders don't like! Load books give the OAL, and charge for a specific bullet. The Amax is a less expensive target bullet, does work OK for hunting but it may come apart on the target animal. I only load about 40gr in LC bras which give full fill as the base is below the shoulder. I also don't know how strong the base is, pressure may distort it above 55k psi. jacket isn't real thick.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Measuring case volume is pretty silly. Seating depth is just as important because the fill ratio is what counts. With some powders, below min will give an incomplete ignition (dangerous), deeper seating creates higher pressure (higher fill). Deep seating can also cause a compressed load that some powders don't like! Load books give the OAL, and charge for a specific bullet. The Amax is a less expensive target bullet, does work OK for hunting but it may come apart on the target animal. I only load about 40gr in LC bras which give full fill as the base is below the shoulder. I also don't know how strong the base is, pressure may distort it above 55k psi. jacket isn't real thick.
    OR, use 1 of your used cases drill the flash hole large enough too fill from the bottom after bullet has been seated. Use water and measure.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I agree that research is your friend. I’ve gone through 3 hardback reloading manuals and only one said anything about reducing the load by 10% I believe, don’t have the manual in front of me as I type this. Thus the reason a posted the question here as part of researching and asking for thoughts from all the reloaders on here. Thanks for all the responses.

Most reloading manuals give a Min and Max load if exactly the same components are used. It may or may not be 10%. You find the 10% reduction mentioned in various manuals on reloading practices, not reloading data manuals.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Most reloading manuals give a Min and Max load if exactly the same components are used. It may or may not be 10%. You find the 10% reduction mentioned in various manuals on reloading practices, not reloading data manuals.

The 10% reduction came from a reloading manual. It was either Speer or Nosler. But it was a reloading manual

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I haven't shot at 1k in a few years but I was using 175 SMKs out of a 28 inch barrel at 2690 fps I think brass was M118LR. Accuracy was decent, but nothing to write home about. Seems like the better shooters were all running Berger 185 Juggernauts and now the Berger 200-20x's. If I had to do it again go with Lapua small primer brass and 185 Juggernauts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    918d089f217c97c733ebbe0d82cc72ca.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom