• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    Is pretty much the only place to get some 54r ammo online?
    I have checked out cabela's but they only have like 3 boxes at $.75 per round, which is ridiculous. anyone know of any walk-in stores?
    Lynx Defense

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    and moreso, how can someone get started into reloading? like could i just get some books and a handloader and then start on some 5.56 or 7.62 or is it a WHOLE lot more complicated then that?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Midway USA has 880 rounds of surplus ammo for $229.99.

There are several videos on youtube that show the reloading process.
    All you would need is a couple of reloading books, a powder scale, single stage press ( a rock chucker master kit etc.) the dies, and the other 4 components.

I reload soft points for the same round for my mosin during the hunting season.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    I have heard that if I wanted to get into reloading, I should start with single-wall ammo or something like that. Not wholly sure what single-wall ammo is but I can guess its something about the 'brass' on the ammo

thanks for the info though.
    In your general opinion, what company do you use for the projectiles in your ammo? Or do you just use what you can find?

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I generally use whatever I can find, mainly soft points for hunting. I first started out reloading 38 special/357 magnum, 45 acp handgun rounds. Now I reload rifle rounds. I use the forester brass trimmer due to the outside neck trimmer.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    another side note, can you shoot .308 out of a mosin or is that a no no?

No.

For reloading you should have:

Single Stage Press (RCBS - Comes to mind)
    Powder Measure / Scale
    Case Trimmer
    Micrometer
    Champfer / Deburr Tool
    7.62 x 54R Dies
    7.62 x 54R Shell Holder
    Powder
    Bullets
    Large Rifle Primers

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    No.

For reloading you should have:

Single Stage Press (RCBS - Comes to mind)
    Powder Measure / Scale
    Case Trimmer
    Micrometer
    Champfer / Deburr Tool
    7.62 x 54R Dies
    7.62 x 54R Shell Holder
    Powder
    Bullets
    Large Rifle Primers

I am looking at a lee classic loader
    It is something small and inexpensive to just start on, I am not looking for any table tops yet.
    the kit comes with these items:
    -Bullet Seater and Priming Chamber
    -Decapping Chamber
    -Sizing Die
    -Decapper
    -Priming Rod
    -Powder Measure
    -Load Data

I know on my own that I shall want a scale for precise measurements of the grain with the powder and that I shall need a shell holder. However besides those two items and the components used within ammo (powder, casing, projectile, primer) is there anything on the lee loader that I would need. It seems like the only thing on your list that is on the lee loader is the die, unless there are alot of names for the same item. The micrometer is to measure the casings for proper sizing correct? If so my father has one and I can use his in the mean time.

here is the loader I just kinda perused over. MidwayUSA - Lee Classic Loader 7.62x54mm Rimmed Russian (7.62x53mm Rimmed)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Do yourself a favor and get something like this, and buy dies as necessary: MidwayUSA - RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

The only thing I suggest beyond that kit is:

- Electronic Powder Scale (You can use it to weigh cases and bullets for optimal accuracy)
    - Kinetic Bullet Puller (For when you screw up)
    - Case Tumbler, Media, and Polish.
    - Case Trimmer

We don't use the powder measure, we scoop it out and measure each load since we load for accuracy.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    Do yourself a favor and get something like this, and buy dies as necessary: MidwayUSA - RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

The only thing I suggest beyond that kit is:

- Electronic Powder Scale (You can use it to weigh cases and bullets for optimal accuracy)
    - Kinetic Bullet Puller (For when you screw up)
    - Case Tumbler, Media, and Polish.
    - Case Trimmer

We don't use the powder measure, we scoop it out and measure each load since we load for accuracy.

Wow, I can prolly just afford to wait then. That seems like that kit can last forever. Concerning dies, are they all carbide dies or what? I ask because I would want to buy a die I know will last through the long haul.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    another side note, can you shoot .308 out of a mosin or is that a no no?
    Not a great idea, BUT, it could be done in an emergency situation. Theer were a fair number of 7.62x51 cases found in Kososvo, if I remember correctly, that had several wraps of foil around the base of the case, to allow them to be fired in a 7.62x54R chamber. Rebels chronicly short of ammo, I suppose.

My oldest brought back a bunch of brass he and his buddies fired from several of my guns, and I found a 7.62x51 case, primer gone and VERY swollen at the head and base, slipped right into a MN. It was certainly done that time, and in one of my rifles! No damamge, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

For handloading, if you don't have a lot of money to spend, the cheaper Lee stuff will serve until you can afford to upgrade it.

Top Bottom