• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I did some math on property taxes for my city. I tried to look past the increase in values since there can be a tax "cut" where you still pay more. In 2010, the per capita rate was about $1000. In 2017, it was about $2000. I can't figure get a good answer on whether the town was complete s-hole that was totally unsafe and had no services before I moved here or if the city is just drunk on tax increase and spending... I have a theory.

Also, when I first moved here and saw a stadium, I wondered what college was there. Turns out it was the high school. I am thinking that they could reprioritze their spending and save the taxpayers some money.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Should have put a question mark at the end of that sentence, don't get too offended.

So should everything be a user fee service?

Need the police, pay $10k for them to show up. After all, why should I pay tax dollars for police when I never use them. And if only those who use the police pay for them, probably would cost several thousand dollars per call.

Go to the public library, $5k to get in the door.

Well?
    Sounds great! Prices would come down dramatically by cutting out all the bureaucratic overhead, and if people had to actually pay for it instead of stealing wealth from future generations through financing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Where does the money for police & libraries come from.
    I wouldn't think it comes from school taxes does it?

I am referring to all services, not just schools. Pretty sure earlier you said you would support user fees for all services, not just schools.

But if you want to just address schools, that is fine. Your thoughts on what I wrote regarding schools?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am referring to all services, not just schools. Pretty sure earlier you said you would support user fees for all services, not just schools.

But if you want to just address schools, that is fine. Your thoughts on what I wrote regarding schools?

Post #15 might be confusing you.
    I state I "pay" for police & libraries, not that I would pay if needed.

You keep bringing up the fees for police & libraries, it comes from property taxes, just not the ISD part, I don't think (but I don't know because google doesn't differentiate).

I can only presume that ISD taxes pay exclusively for school related stuff.

If you can show me different I would appreciate it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Post #15 might be confusing you.
    I state I "pay" for police & libraries, not that I would pay if needed.

You keep bringing up the fees for police & libraries, it comes from property taxes, just not the ISD part, I don't think (but I don't know because google doesn't differentiate).

I can only presume that ISD taxes pay exclusively for school related stuff.

If you can show me different I would appreciate it.

We are in violent agreement. School taxes only pay for school. City taxes pay for other things like police, library etc. I will say this for the last time, some folks think ALL services should be fee based, and no taxes (city, school or otherwise) should be incurred. You said you agree with this in one post. But forget that.

Scenario at hand - Do away with school taxes (happy now?). That would mean pretty high tuition for public school kid parents. Some folks would probably not be able to afford it.

School taxes would go away, but for those using public schools the bill would be staggering. More than likely, all residents (not just parents of school age kids) would still have to significantly subsidize public school tuition to support those who cannot pay the usage fee. Is this something you would support?

Is that a simple enough direct question to elicit a direct answer?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Correctomundo!

The total property taxes I pay to Travis County are broken down as going to:
    Austin ISD - $1.192 per thousand of net taxable value
    City of Austin - $0.4418 per
    Travis County - $0.3838 per
    Travis County Health - $0.110541 per, and
    Austin Community College - $0.102 per

Far and away, AISD is more than half my tax bill as everything else only totals $1.038141 per.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Also, when I first moved here and saw a stadium, I wondered what college was there. Turns out it was the high school. I am thinking that they could reprioritze their spending and save the taxpayers some money.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Typically funded by bonds that people actually vote for. Makes no sense to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    The fastest way to cut school spending is to go to a voucher system. Give vouchers to the parents who can then use those vouchers at the school of their choice. Eliminate the current public school system. Get rid of the expensive and bloated bureaucracy. I'm betting that most ISDs in Texas have more people who aren't teachers than they do teachers.

Make the schools prove their worth. If they fail to do their job they will go out of business.

This also breaks the back of the teachers unions.

Dallas ISD is spending just over $12k per student. Private schools typically do more for less. Private schools tend to have lower teacher to student ratios.

Set standards for the private schools. If they don't meet the standards they're gone.

Get rid of the idea that it takes 8 years to teach a non-english speaking student english. In fact, if your kids don't speak english that should be your problem and you should solve it.

Get rid of the free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and food boxes for the weekend. If you can't/won't feed your kids that's child abuse and should be treated as such. Chances are the parents of those kids are already receiving food stamps, welfare, subsidized housing, free daycare, and so on. Why the hell aren't they feeding their kids? They "make" more on the public tit than many families who work.

Get rid of the stupid idea that EVERY child gets a free education. If you're here illegally then why should we have to educate your kids? If your kid requires a nurse then you should be required to fund that. There are a lot of severely handicapped kids who are basically getting taxpayer funded nursing care under the disguise of "education". Most of these kids will never be capable of independent function. Some of those kids are so brain damaged they are basically vegetables but are still entitled to free public education till they turn 21. There was one school district on the Oregon coast that was paying more to transport one of these vegetables than they were paying to transport the rest of the kids in the district. The transportation costs of this one student were around $300k per year. She required 24 hour medical support, the school district had to pay for that for 8 hours a day during the school year. It required an ambulance to transport this "student" back and forth. That's just nuts and serves no purpose.

If your kid wants to play sports then find a league/club. There's no way that it should be provided by the schools.

Bring back vocational education. If some kid wants to learn a trade during high school that should be provided. Turn that kid into a taxpayer as soon as they graduate.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Wow I had no idea that their debt was that high. I will have to admit though that Texas schools are a lot better and offer more to students than the schools I saw over in California so I guess there is more money spent here for them.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Wow I had no idea that their debt was that high. I will have to admit though that Texas schools are a lot better and offer more to students than the schools I saw over in California so I guess there is more money spent here for them.

You'd be surprised. I'll bet the spending per student in California is way higher on average than here in Texas. Washington D.C. schools are spending right around $18k per student and their schools are some of the lowest rated in the country.

Amount of money spent/wasted per student has no effect on student performance. Many highly rated private schools spend a fraction of the amount that public schools in the same community spend.

Top Bottom