Join TexasGunTalk

8 Hogs Down, 1090 lbs of Pork

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Double Naught Spy, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Double Naught Spy

Double Naught Spy Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    As I am not a deer hunter, I am glad that deer hunting is coming to an end. I lose access to several of my properties during deer season on properties where I do hog and predator control. So when my landowner told me that his buddy had filled his tags and that I could return to this first property, I was quite pleased. It isn't particularly large, but it is planted in winter wheat. The really cool and terrible thing about the property is that there is a petroleum pad in the middle of it that occupies a large area. There is a tank battery, chemical injection (I think) tanks) and a natural gas compressor that runs all the time and is VERY loud. If I walk back and forth across the pad, I can see almost all of the property, which is really nice. As I learned very quickly, the deer hunter had not put much pressure on the hogs.

After I finished with the first property, I moved on to check others and found hogs on another small property (80ish acres) that is a small cattle operation with some serious cross fencing. Unfortunately, I encountered hogs immediately on the opposite side of an 8 strand fence and I was afraid to shoot through it for fear I would hit the wires, so I headed to the open gate...

Texasgordo, G23c, Sam7sf and 6 others like this.
  2. Big Green

Big Green Well-Known TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Deer hunting for the season coming to and end or deer hunting in general?

Do you get bacon from them? How is it? Never had wild hog bacon.

3. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Almost no fat on most feral pigs. They do taste good but if you are looking for bacon from them you will be disappointed

4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sounds like hunting season as he loses access but is now able to come back.

5. Moonpie

Moonpie DILLIGAF Lifetime Member

DDD3FEDF-8E34-4484-ACA7-2618B577FA21.jpeg

Double Naught Spy likes this.
  6. Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    I’m looking for ranches and farms to do predator and pig control as well. One question what do you do with the pile of pigs. Donate or bury?

7. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You cannot donate feral pigs, at least not to any charitable organizations in Texas. Against the law.

Unless you have the resources that DoubleNaughtSpy has( top end NV/Thermal, experience, traps, etc) you are not going to make any difference whatsoever in controlling pig populations.

Just look for a cheap place to hunt pigs and do not try to couch it as “control help”

8. Lonesome Dove

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    Do you know what I own? Or have experience with? Small land would holds would be quite easy to control. But thanks for the donating info.

9. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you are asking about donating, you don’t know the first thing about pigs in Texas. Don’t flatter yourself.

10. Lonesome Dove

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    Don’t venture to far out
    LOL