8 US Troops Die in Heavy Afghan Combat - US Abandoning Border Regions

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jeff B, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B Active Member

May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    This article is about a co-ordinated attack on US Outposts in Kamdesh, a border area in the remote Province of Nuristan. If you read down into the article, it discusses recently announced plans to abandon Nuristan in favor of protecting the population centers. My question (not really a question) is, how can we make plans to defend the "population centers" is we abandon the border areas and allow our enemies free and unfettered use of the passes to Pakistan?

As the wars have ground on, the doctrine of allowing the military to fight the wars have disintegrated. Rules of engagement that effectively shackle our troops and firepower, decisions to abandon years of struggle and numerous casualties made in the shadows, like the decisions to abandon the borders. Have you seen that in the news? A Commander makes a statement about his request for forces and is summoned to a "conference (and photo op)" on Air Force One and the National Security Advisor makes statements about the Commander not "having a full appreciation for the theater strategy".

What a bunch of BS. What about Obama's statements about re-inforcing Afghanistan and "winning"? More politically expedient throw away lines made because at the time Iraq was a desperate situation in the process of imploding and Afghanistan appeared to be a sure thing.

Jeff B.

This is where the attacks took place:

This is who the FOB is named for:

2. 2Shots1Wound

2Shots1Wound Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    This administration doesn't have the stomach for conflict. They see any assertive foreign policy or war as an albatross around their neck. The media is already asking questions like

"Can America live with an Iranian Nuke"?

A pre-cursor to more militray contraction and lost ground. But hey kids, a least we have a slew of welfare entitlements on the horizon to keep us happy right????

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Well after a long and blaring rant on the Obamanation I have deleted it and will just say may God protect our troops!

4. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    One of my good friends just got back from a year at Camp Keating a couple months ago.. Those guys are the real deal true American hero's. They are the tip of the spear basically living in a full time combat zone. God bless and protect them..

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    My son heads over there in a few months so all this makes me a little nervous to say the lest and the Obamanation is such an idiot.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    This will turn into a UN police action soon enough. They are trying to de-escalate the region so that the UN will take a bigger role. Obama probably thinks he can talk everyone into it, that way he can pull out a large amount of the US forces to appease everyone.

This is a political crap fest that is quickly turning into Vietnam v2.0, and I'm referring to Washington turning to politics, and not letting the military do it's job properly. No one ever learns anything.

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    If the politicians would give the generals 30 days to do what they want too, we would be done over there!

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it'd be solved in 30 days. Maybe 1 year.

9. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    90 days of free reign (or in the case of arty and CAS free rain) would make all the difference.....

10. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Neither did the last one. Or the one before that. Or the one before that... and on back to Vietnam, excepting maybe Reagan, who we never really got to find out about on that front.

The problem is that we're falling into the same trap as we did in Vietnam. We want to win, just "not by too much". We're afraid it'll fire up a wider regional conflict.

Excuse my French, but there are two words that I must use to sum up my opinion on the matter: **** that! These ass clowns need to read up on their military strategy starting with Sun Tzu and Carl von Clausewitz. Both of these historical military geniuses agree with each other: once war is begun, civilians (including the government) need to STFU and give the commander on the ground what he needs when he needs it.

It's idiotic to enter into a fight after tying one of your hands to your own belt. You cannot enter a fight with anything less than the will to slug it out to the bloody end and win by dominating the enemy and crushing him mercilessly. I'm having a flashback to the first Bush, when we slaughtered those routed Iraqis troops as they fled North out of Kuwait... and the press and a bunch of hippie assholes went nuts over the carnage. Tough! You know what you call heaps of enemy dead like that? Winning!!! That's how it's done, and if you don't have the stomach for it, don't look! Turn your head, plug your ears and sing a happy tune to yourself until it's over, but don't you dare second-guess the commanders on the ground when they want to push the advantage and wipe out the remainder so that you don't have to worry about them ten years from now.

If I were to somehow step into the Oval Office tomorrow as the lawful President, my first military order of business would be more troops, relaxed ROE and getting the SF Teams back into doing proper Green Beret work. My second order of military business would be to sit down with McChrystal and decide on a city that was very much a hotbed of Taliban activity, one that would make an excellent example... then decide whether to send scads of B-52s loaded with conventional weapons to wipe it from the face of the earth (and then some) or just tacnuke the bastards... or both!

We need to renew our commitment to winning the fight we're engaged in, and we need to show the enemy that we're committed 100%... Unfortunately, our "leaders" in Washington aren't committed even 10%. They're more comfortable with playing with our troops' lives to further themselves politically.

I really wish people would read the classics... It's the difference between the blackest ignorance and real enlightenment.