Patriot Mobile

80% AR-15 lower and CNC machine rentals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    Been meaning to nab an 80% lower and have it custom engraved and cerakoted.

I know I could just get a jig and butcher the receiver myself but I was wondering if anyone knew of any places in San Antonio that rent out CNC machines so that I can get it cleanly and professionally milled to 100%?

Before anyone asks, yes this is 100% legal -----> http://diyweapons.com

If anything, I'd like it for its novelty value considering how everything is de-facto registered. I'd want to have a receiver like this (it's pretty crass, my apologies but it's something I'd like, minus the zombie crap. I'd probably make the serial something crass as well)

IMG_210142386165924_zpsefludby5.jpg

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I've read about "build parties" in California where folks show up with 80% AK receivers and take turns using the equipment with some coaching to finish them out. Thought that was a cool idea.

Do you have a TechShop in your area?

Sent from magic cutting board

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    Any major city should have shops. Problem is that most won't advertise their cnc machines on the internet, so it's literally just luck of the draw on calling up a shop brave enough (or naive) to let you finish an 80 lower. It's completely legal but a lot of places would be afraid of dealing with firearms.

I'd love for there to be a build party here in town over the weekend. That'd be awesome

I've read about "build parties" in California where folks show up with 80% AK receivers and take turns using the equipment with some coaching to finish them out. Thought that was a cool idea.

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    If he ever responds, Vader Tactical since I can get all my engraving done before it even hits my door step

Otherwise, H&H Tactical though I'd much rather have forged than billet
    OP, Who are you getting your lower from?

sent from my phone far far away, still monitored by NSA

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm unaware of any need to engrave your lower unless it's going to be registered as an SBR or something. IIRC, homebuilds don't have to have make/model/serial on them.

The one I went to was fun.

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    I know. Thats why my model will be "NoF---sGiven" and the serial "F---Urself"

I'm unaware of any need to engrave your lower unless it's going to be registered as an SBR or something. IIRC, homebuilds don't have to have make/model/serial on them.

The one I went to was fun.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I'm rebuilding a CNC machine now. Probably be a while before I'm ready to mill a receiver tho.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    The prob with a professional shop finishing a receiver for someone is that they then become the manufacturer. That's a big no-no.

Alternatively, they can rent the machine out to you and you can finish it yourself. There is no way I would let someone I don't know walk in off the street and run a mill. The liability is just too high.

So the only viable alternative is to have a machinist stand there, walk someone through the process but let them do all the work. Not very cost effective for anyone if the shop is usually charging $60+ an hour machine time.

SE7EN26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Granbury
    Careful on payment and the wording of the "service rental." Even if the machinist doesn't touch it during the whole machining process, its best payment be left as a donation for the MACHINE TIME, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, and ELECTRICITY. After all, nothing in life is free. I say this because this is how my folks are running it in CA as we speak. They got a boot through the door at home and shop from the Alphabet Boys; CNC parts confiscated, as well as cash and weapons that were both related and unrelated. I've made a hand full myself, but are now packed and put away for a rainy day.

Also found out that you gotta be 21 to "create" a 100% lower because of the whole pistol/rifle AR distinction. Dont know if that would work the same way out here as well, I would assume so.

FWIW, I averaged about 150 per lower, both part and labor.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why would that matter? You can own handgun or rifle at 18, so why could t you build one?

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    You can build a firearm for yourself. You can not build a firearm with the INTENT of giving/selling it to another person.

Top Bottom