• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I am looking around for a cheap motorcycle and came across a 1986 Honda shadow 750 VT for $300. It is a project that two guys were working on and I guess ran out of time or money. Anyway it says that it needs a battery, clutch cable, and throttle cable. Is there any way of checking if the bike even runs or has potential to run without the two? I'm willing to fix one up but I don't know if it would even be worth fixing. It is on craigslist under for sale and motorcycles in Austin Texas.
    ARJ Defense ad

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I am looking around for a cheap motorcycle and came across a 1986 Honda shadow 750 VT for $300. It is a project that two guys were working on and I guess ran out of time or money. Anyway it says that it needs a battery, clutch cable, and throttle cable. Is there any way of checking if the bike even runs or has potential to run without the two? I'm willing to fix one up but I don't know if it would even be worth fixing. It is on craigslist under for sale and motorcycles in Austin Texas.

Sorry Big C I saw motorcycle and peaked my interest but then saw Honda and realized you were not looking for a motorcycle but a rice rocket. LOL!!!

Motorcycles are built in America everything else is either a crotch rocket or a rice burner!!!

Sorry Big C couldn't resist!!!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    It is a cruiser but it I find a crotch rocket for the right price I'd settle. I did see one for $2600 on there two but if I can get a cruiser I would prefer to go that route. And HD's are highly over rated. Ah O I stirred another pile.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    It is a cruiser but it I find a crotch rocket for the right price I'd settle. I did see one for $2600 on there two but if I can get a cruiser I would prefer to go that route. And HD's are highly over rated. Ah O I stirred another pile.

No, no Big C you didn't stir a pile with me at least.
    I love HD's and think they are some of the best looking and best sounding bikes out there and retain value very well but, not the best built.
    I have a friend with a Triumph that's just awesome all the way around.
    And I have ridden plenty of rice rockets and crotch rockets and they are fun to ride.
    But at days end - I'd rather be "Stylin and Profilin" on a Fat Bob or a Road King than ridding something that says "Made In Japan" But hell that just me!!!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can jump-start a bike just like a car. It's a 12 volt system. Jump starting it should at least tell you if it runs.

What's up with the throttle and clutch cables? I will say that my (somewhat limited) experience with keeping two bikes about this age on the road is that the clutch cable is a good thing to replace before riding. They're one of the weak links on any older bike.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I will give you this much...at a price point of $300, it's likely a heap that will wind up costing you way more than you can anticipate. Been there, done that.

A bit off the main topic, but are you an experienced rider? If not, I will go into my MSF Course and ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) sales pitch.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Not a real experienced rider but I have been on dirt bikes, 1 crotch rocket, and 1 cruiser. But that is about it street bikes are not something I have a lot of experience on so I don't think I want a "fast" bike just something to cut my gas bills.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You can jump-start a bike just like a car. It's a 12 volt system. Jump starting it should at least tell you if it runs.

What's up with the throttle and clutch cables? I will say that my (somewhat limited) experience with keeping two bikes about this age on the road is that the clutch cable is a good thing to replace before riding. They're one of the weak links on any older bike.
    I don't know what the deal is with the cables. I'm not sure if they have them and took them off or what. But I thought I would try to get some opinions before I called the guy. I don't want to throw money at things with out gaining some understanding of what I'm getting into.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You could drop $500 into the bike, get it running and STILL make money on it. I'd go to Walmart, buy a new battery an' see if it'll start. If so, and the rest of it is okay, I'd jump on it. If it won't start, well, you're out a few bucks but it can be used on the next one. If the battery has a shorted cell, it will likely NOT jump start. I've seen this happen before - years ago, I paid $7,500 for a Cat 977K at a bank repo yard. It wouldn't start, even with 2 batteries trying to jump it. Pulled the old batteries, put the same "jumpers" in their place and had a buddy standing next to the bank rep (we had several folks watching us). She turned over twice, spit out a chunka black soot an' fired like a new one (the engine, it turned out, had less than 100 hours on it). My buddy handed the banker the check for $7,500 the moment he saw the black smoke!

I ride an '07 UC, but the Shadows are an outstanding bike, and hold their value VERY well.

Top Bottom