• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I have a Maverick 88 that I picked because of price. Should I have waited and bought the 500? Is there any reliability difference?
    Guns International

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Are the 88's really that much cheaper? I see 500's advertised at big box stores for $300-$329.

I think as with most any gun, you need to handle both to see for yourself.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    My 88 has been good so far. Put plenty of different rounds through it including some 3" 00buck without a hiccup. Time will tell though as it's not that old yet. I got mine for $180 including transfer fee so they are a bit cheaper.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've had my 88 for 5 years and I bought it used. I used to put tons of shells through it and other than one of the extractor claws breaking (my friend did something wrong) It's been 100% reliable.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I have a couple 88s that I have been putting rounds through, no problems. The only bad thing I can say about the 88 is the pump. If you can find a 500 pump, replace it. There are no upgrades for the 88 pump, but if you start with a 500 pump you can get a pistol grip mod for it that will fit the 88, but you must have a 500 pump to start with. Of course, my issue is purpose based, an easy solution is to attach a strap to the pump. The 2 biggest differences are the pump and the safety. I believe the 500 has a firing pin safety, and the 88 has a trigger safety.

I have stripped all mine down several times, they are really easy to work with, same as a 500 in that respect. I've seen pricing on the 88s go from $120 up to $300. I would not pay more than $200 for one brand new stock. 500s can be found $300 and up.

jart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    That is good to know. I got mine for $180. There was a 500 with both stocks for about $260. After my purchase some guys made me think I had dune bad. I have shot it several times and I really like it! I am going to the gun show to get a pistol grip this weekend.

Bansheeman6100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    South Austin
    yeha, im probably gonna pick up a HD 88 when i finish up the SBR. its between the 88 and a M39 Nagant

and i'll actually end up with either a 590 or Super Nova Tactical, so basically i posted in here for no reason....lol

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    Depends-- I bought a used one that look new for right over $100 off of GB-- I am happy as heck with it for what I bought it for. That being said, if I had the money, I would buy a 500-- but that being said, if I had the money, I would buy a Citori in 28 Gauge...

You did fine..

;)

Top Bottom