9/11 on Harwin Drive

Discussion in 'Politics' started by iratollah, Sep 14, 2009.

1. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    This is how one retailer on Houston's Harwin Drive chose to observe 9/11:

[​IMG]

I guess that to them, tolerance means we accept them but they don't need to accept us. For generations, immigrants to this country, including my parents, worked as quickly as they could to become as American as their neighbors. What you see above is known as Creeping Sharia.

http://www.bridgehouston.org is trying to make a difference and help people understand how a certain group views the rest of us.

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    repulsive doesn't even begin to describe the feeling in my gut

3. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ... how is that window still up?

4. 512Ram

512Ram Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Central Texas
    I'm a muslim american and this infuriates me!

+1

5. jasont

jasont Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Had to look up who Imam Ali was, I initially thought this was a lot worse than it actually is. Apparently his death for the last 1,000+ years is always celebrated on the 21st day of Ramadan which just happened to fall on Sept. 11th this year. It won't fall on that date again for a long time. They definitely should have been more sensitive than using the words martyrdom and Sept. 11th in the same sentence.

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    What can one say?
    Un-American and goes to show some will not assimilate into American culture because they do not try to become American.
    American is the land of prosperity but American will never become their home land because they truly cannot understand and or accept Americans.

7. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    I researched this as best as I could. The month to observe the death of this Imam is Muharram. This year, the official date for mourning Imam Ali was Arbaeen which fell on February 15, 2009. I could find nothing referencing mourning this Imam during Ramadan. Nothing. It appears that one website in Austin may be doing some revisionist exploitation and they said the date was Sept 09, not 9/11. So there is no legitimate religious basis for choosing 9/11 as the day to mourn this imam.

I'm confident I won't find a single Japanese restaurant in this country which closes on 07Dec as a day of mourning to honor the martyr pilots who gave their lives for the Emperor. The Japanese living here are good citizens and recognize the importance of respect to your host country.

Even if 9/11 was a legit date for mourning this Imam, which all my research contradicts and says it is not, the cultural insensitivity is appalling. I see it as a backdoor way to celebrate an American tragedy. I'd be inclined to say forward away with complete confidence that you are not misinterpreting the intent of the poster of that sign.

On my Bridge Houston website I worked hard to be sure that all of my citations were credible and referenceable. I received this pic from a journalist who got it through a series of forwards. It doesn't appear to be photochopped and I'm trying to work my way back to the source. It is important to us all to be accurate with this type of thing, I believe this is worth forwarding.

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Very very bad timing and an even worse choice of words. Better to just announce that the business is closed on that day without giving a reason.

The natural assumption to those that know little about Islam (such as myself) is that Imam Ali was one of the September 11, 2001 hijackers.

EDIT: Per Wikipedia, the death of Imam Ali (Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib) is commonly celebrated on 21 Ramadan, which per this calendar, occurs on September 11th. Seems like it's just a really bad coincidence mixed with intense stupidity or "backdoor" bad will on the part of whoever put that sign up.

9. jasont

jasont Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I didn't know anything about Imam Ali A.S. until I Googled him. I also assumed he was a hijacker or something but wanted to check first. First result I came up with was this guy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali

The month of Ramadan calendar lists his death as an event on the 21st day of Ramadan. The first day of Ramadan was August 22nd so the 21st would be Sept. 11th.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan_(calendar_month)

I think this was a very unfortunate choice of words, hopefully not intentional. I don't think the store owners realize what a negative connotation the word martyr has to the average American. The only thing we think of when we hear martyr is terrorists.

10. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    Day of mourning is not the day of death but the 40th day after. I still see it as an 'in your face' move by the store owner.