9/11 where were you?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RACER X, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Riteii

Riteii Active Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Hill Country
    New Orleans. Doing consulting work for a large fuel distributor. I was scheduled to view and analyze their procedures for filling up tug boats at their dock.

I have to admit that I spent most of the time that day in their conference room with everyone else watching it on TV.

2. Ozzman

Ozzman Member

Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Jester Hall room 324, getting ready for class.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Sucker MC TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Cibolo
    Working in NJ about 50 miles away. We heard about the first hit over the radio, a coworker had found a small battery operated B&W TV from which, like many others here, watched as the second tower was hit.
    As someone else posted, I was thinking that the first was a small private plane of some sort. Also as some have mentioned, the clear blue sky that day is permanently etched on my mind.
    I drove up to the Carteret area immediately after work that day to see if I could get glimpse of whatever I could. Looking back now I can say I was still in a state of shock and didn't quite understand the breadth of what had happened earlier that day.

I know we have a new thread each year on this and I think it's important so thanks OP.

satx78247 likes this.
  4. Time On Target

Time On Target New Member

Feb 22, 2016
    I was in Spring, Texas I was supposed to be doing a presentation to a couple of clients in New York but they had to fly out of town on business and I was working on some business presentations for some possible new clients with the TV going in the background at the house. I heard the first flight hit, my wife was working in the Medical Center and I was talking to her when the second flight came in and I told her to get the heck out of there. Ticked off my daughter's and son's schools when I went and picked them both up but I wanted my family where it was at least a little safe. Working in the oil and gas business and the chemical industry I knew what was around Houston and was scared to death that all of that was the next target. Met my clients from New York in February that is when I found out I would have had a front row seat if the meeting had not cancelled, I would have been in Building 7 right beside the Towers. They figured that business trip possibly saved their bacon even though it took them a month plus to get back into the country.

satx78247 likes this.
  5. Jigo23

Jigo23 New Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Was stationed at Hurlburt Field FL, assigned to HQ AFSOC and was scheduled to be on the rifle range that day just putting some rounds down range. We had I don't know how many lots of 9mm and 5.56 ammo that needed to be shot before the end of the physcal year (1 Oct) and their expiration dates were coming up. Rough day at the office...shooting guns all day :)
    Was just inspecting, lubing, and dry-firing several guns I wanted to shoot and my wife called me after the first plane hit the WTC. Honestly I didn't believe her at first and thought she must be watching some movie or tv show with too realistic special effects. Then we turned on the little tv out in the armory just in time to see the second plane hit. Told my wife we were under attack and to just stay inside and listen to what the news was saying, I'd be home later. I remember just feeling numb as I got set up and prepared to shoot. I guess was just shooting on auto-pilot that day as I don't distinctly remember even pulling the trigger, reloading or really performing any of the mechanics involved. I just had the deepest feeling of outrage and blind anger in the pit of my stomach. I guess I ended up shooting about 1000 rds. Once i went down range and collected my target, I realized I've never shot so well, so consistently in my whole life. Through 20+ years in the military I was never so anxious to go to war.

6. Booder

Booder New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    My wife and I were changing planes at Dallas Love Field when the FAA grounded everything and emptied the sky.

7. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    Booder,

Imo, you were LUCKY to NOT be "in the air" on 9-11-2001 & to NOT have been "marooned" in Atlanta for 3 days.
    (That was "un-fun".)

yours, satx

8. Eminencefrontman

Eminencefrontman New Member

May 5, 2014
    I was in grad school for international relations at Univ. Tennessee Knoxville living on the 18th floor of a 20-story building. I had some "company" the night before and was taking her back to her dorm when I heard about it on NPR. My first thought was of the B-25 that hit the Empire State Building back in post-war 1940s, but by the time I got home and turned on the TV I watched he 2nd plane hit live. Within an hour I could see 3 F-16 flying sorties over Oak Ridge Nat. Lab. I left grad school that spring, because it was obvious the paradigms we we were being taught were washed-up cold-war reliquaries and no one had the first clue on how to deal with the post 9/11 world. Never saw my "company" (not sure I ever knew her/remembered her name,) after that night. I hope she has as fond of memories of the last night the in old post-world order world as I do.

9. oohrah

oohrah Active Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I was on a classified teleconference with a Pentagon office. All of a sudden, they announced there was a problem, and they were off the air. It was a bit later we learned why.

10. Tex62

Tex62 New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    In the air on a flight from DFW to Orlando. We made it to Orlando. Our conference got cancelled and we had a rental car, so we drove back the next day.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk