• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Lets just make it ONE single thread, maybe?

I'll start:

There I was, coming up on two years in the country, having a nice morning sit-down with the Rocky Mountain News, when I hear yelling from downstairs to turn on the TV. WHAT can possibly be more important than me taking my morning crap??? Go turn on TV, see a plane has hit the WTC. Looked like a little Cessna in the first videos. How big of a deal could that possibly be? Awwwww shit... a second one, and this time an airliner for sure. Having had discussed that exact possibility just the previous day, due to being in the middle of reading Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor" and deciding that OBL (who was on SOME people's radar even back then) would be a more likely candidate for something like that, I figured what was up and what was to follow.
    We went and gassed up all the cars, gas was still around a buck a gallon back then. I offered to donate blood but was rejected because all European have mad cows disease, as it is known, well and here we are, 17 damn years later.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Chase's birthday tomorrow. Today

36512_363362690395376_84187812_n.jpg

Last edited:

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Yep, I wasn't around a TV, and the first tower reports were sketchy, so I was thinking ,...Cessna, freak accident. Even before they said airliner , when they said 2nd plane, I immediately knew it was OBL.

A couple of months before , I read an article in Time mag, IIRC, calling OSB America's biggest enemy.

BTW: It was eerie as hell in the days following , you could hear a pin drop with no airplane traffic .

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I was in training on my way to my second assignment. We had a late show that day due to maintenance on the simulator. Was talking to my (soon to be) wife on the phone with the morning radio show in the background.

Heard the about the first plane hitting, then the second. Hung up with my wife and headed on in.

By the time I got to the base, we were in ThreatCon D. The base was essentially closed except to active duty personnel. Traffic was completely backed up on I40 so runners were sent with instructions that anybody in a flight suit was to use a new gate, cut in the fence, on the backside that wasn’t heavily trafficked.

Got there, got to my squadron and sat through the first update brief and was read into everything going on.

Due to my previous experience, I was pulled from training and out on a mission planning cell for the next 12 hours. 16 or so hrs later, I was released and told to be back in 10 hrs for another shift.

After the first few days, I was released back to training. Completed my qualification, went to some specialized training, then deployed to relieve the aircrews that had been flying over AFG since late September.

First combat sortie was the SOF support for Anaconda. Flew 460 hours over the next three months on my 4th deployment to CENTCOM.

Came back and became the platform expert on Air Defense for the United States. Ended up as part of the effort that literally wrote a whole new tactics manual due to all the lessons we learned in the early days of Operation Noble Eagle.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That's the first time I have read the phone conversations on Flight 93. AMAZING is all I can say. I was at my shop when that happened and had a TV going in the reception area. I got to watch all of it live and couldn't believe it. Not anything was done that day. Being close to DFW airport it was really strange the next few days with no planes flying.

I remember and will not forget.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    My daughter asked me what "Patriot Day" was on the calendar earlier today. I'm planning on making that a big part of her homeschool classes tomorrow.

Good for you. If no one steps up and actually teaches the kids what matters and why, the internet and social media will fill in the gaps with all sorts of garbage. You’re providing her with a fighting chance to buffer some of that crap that will inundate her for years to come.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I was on a flight between Rotterdam, Amsterdam & Aktau, Kazakhstan headed to work for 28 days when it all happened. When we landed in Aktau we were told by a Russian translator America had been attacked and that was about all we knew. We loaded onto another flight and then flew to Aksay on a small Russian Antonov in total silence. We knew nothing other than what we had been told but we sensed it was bad. The story is long but this is a day we will all remember where we were and what we were doing. I just happened to be flying halfway around the world when it happened. My family was quite shook up by the time I finally contacted them at our base camp.

My heart & sincere appreciation goes out to every person who died, lost a loved one, or was involved in any way shape or form on that day.
    I am proud to be an American. Despite all our differences we still live in the greatest country on this planet.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I was in a meeting about logistics in Dover AFB when someone came in and said that a plan crashed into the WTC. 15 minutes later, our meeting was cancelled when the second plane crashed and they locked down the base.

My wife was called from work to get our kids. It was nuts. By that evening, I was watching the Chinooks flying over my house on base every hour or so carrying the remains from the pentagon crash to the DoD Mortuary on base.

I was the base disbursing officer. I had to take in the money found on the remains and cut checks to the next of kin.

As the war began, in my second duty as an additional duty squadron first sergeant, I also filled into the rotation to drive the van that met the planes bringing back the remains of fallen troops, which landed at all hours. It was quite a somber yet fulfilling duty... did that until August 2003 when I got my turn to go to Baghdad...

Remember all the flags everywhere? The feeling of national pride and purpose?

And here we are today...being told our Nation sucks and we need to let in all the problems of the world.

Effin Nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    I will never forget or forgive the hatred and treachery demonstrated by the Mohammedans on that onerous day! They believe that it is honorable to kill, enslave, rape, lie and cheat non-Mohammedans. Some people argue that not all Mohammedans are evil; but I ask, “Then, why don’t the good Mohammedans take action to stop their fellow butchers?” Their inaction is their tacit approval!!!! And therefore, they are all complicit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I was getting ready to head to work. My wife called from her work and told me I had to turn on the TV. I turned it on just in time to see the second tower hit. I knew at that second we were at war. I was filled with an overwhelming hatred and rage against those would would do such a cowardly act.

I wanted blood and guts and gore and veins in my teeth and the smell of dead burnt bodies in the air. I wanted to be death incarnate so I could destroy those who had attacked my country.

I watched people jumping out of the windows to escape death by fire. I was so mad I was shaking. I watched the towers come down. I was livid.

To this day I can't watch the reporting from that terrible day.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    My daughter asked me what "Patriot Day" was on the calendar earlier today. I'm planning on making that a big part of her homeschool classes tomorrow.

The local paper had a story along those lines today. Seniors in high school were just being born about the time this happened, so everyone currently in the public school system has had to learn about 9/11 in history class.

I know they can't teach what it was like to be around for the actual day, but I wasn't around for Pearl Harbor but got a pretty good understanding of it in history class. Hopefully the classes are still teaching what happened and not taking the political angle on it.

Top Bottom