• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Double Naught Spy,

I just HAVE to ask: What did you do with all that fresh pork??

yours, satx

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Double Naught Spy,

I just HAVE to ask: What did you do with all that fresh pork??

yours, satx

It gets "returned to nature." What else is there to do with it? I don't eat it anymore.

In some cases, I split open the bellies and leave the hogs where they fell. On a couple of properties, move hogs to designated dead pile or bone yard areas.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It gets "returned to nature." What else is there to do with it? I don't eat it anymore.

In some cases, I split open the bellies and leave the hogs where they fell. On a couple of properties, move hogs to designated dead pile or bone yard areas.

00 Spy,

Personally, I like cooking YOUNG sows to about 80-100# whole or "split" on the BBQ. = Cooked long, slow & at low temperature over GREEN HICKORY or PEACH wood, they are FINE, imo.

Bigger sows when I lived in VA went to Hunters for the Hungry, who dressed, cut & packaged the pork.

Males got often skinned, gutted, cut up & fed to the dogs.
    (Hounds are generally NOT "picky eaters" = CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

They're big enough that they're probably going to taste pretty nasty.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Bigfoot loves em.

Or so I hear. From a hog hunter in sabine..... As they say everything's gotta eat.

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8547

..... I noticed movement to my right about 80 yards out. Putting my rifle scope on it, I could see only the side of something's face. It was dark, hair covered and slowly moving its head around looking in the direction of the hogs. .... it quickly moved to another tree. I could see most of its body, it was huge, standing on two legs, ...... The hogs were still feeding towards my bait area and the animal was working towards the hogs..... At this time I was quite afraid but tried to keep my scope on it. Its movement from tree to tree was a quick leap, landing at the base of next tree on two feet. Standing behind tree and slowly looking around at the hogs. This continued for several minutes until they were about 30 yards apart and almost directly in front of me at about 40 yards. The animal dropped to all fours, bunched up its rear legs and leaped. It took two leaps to reach the hogs and it screamed during the second leap causing the hogs to panic for a split second. The second leap ended with it slapping one hog in its side, knocking it through the air into side of a tree. As the squealing hog bounced off the tree, it pounced on it, beating it with its fist like a person pounding on a desk. I could hear bones crunching with each hit.....

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Oh don't get me wrong. I know people eat them and love them. It just doesn't tickle my fancy to go through all the motions and prep to make it happen any more. I would rather spend my time doing other things, like finding more to shoot. :m16:

satx, you mentioned feeding them to the dogs. I got a buddy that feeds his dogs a lot of hog meat. If I had a pack of dogs like he did, I might do that as well.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    DoubleNaught Spy,

As I said, the young females to 100# are FINE as BBQ.

YEP, a LOT of hound-men in NETX feed them to their packs.
    (I have a friend in the Gladewater,TX area who had about THREE DOZEN hounds, at least the last time that I visited him. - That's a Hof a LOT of dogfood & bucks each month.)

Note: IF you ever visit "Dogtown at Canton on 1st Mondays, he is the guy with the bright red F-350 with the silver dog-box on the back.
    (Tell "Doug" that Tex from Pittsburg said HELLO.)

yours, satx

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I used to give hogs to a guy who liked all sizes. He didn't care, LOL. He was from Louisiana and he ate everything, LOL. I think younger females is a good call. Young males aren't bad either....just too much work for me.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Love the videos! I've been watching them as soon as you publish, and it's nice that you have them going up so often.

I wish I had the land access like you do. I haven't been able to use my thermal as much as I wish I could.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Love the videos! I've been watching them as soon as you publish, and it's nice that you have them going up so often.

I wish I had the land access like you do. I haven't been able to use my thermal as much as I wish I could.

Thanks!

Getting land access can be tough, especially when you are not a local. It has taken me years and word of mouth help to get this far.

Top Bottom