• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Good morning,

Did search after search on this subject. I just got a few hundred rounds of 9mm from Hoosiers, 147 gr. Can't find ANY data on it, unless I am missing something.
    I do have the Lee and Hogdon manuals, and they do have a few 147 gr bullets, but most are jacketed or copper plated.
    My Walther OAL case as internally measured is 1.1750"
    I did a few test loads with Winchester 244 starting a 3.0 gr and going up to 3.2 gr. OAL was varied from 1.1250 to 1.1740. Interesting fact is that the longer OAL loads did not
    pass the plunk test in the Wilson gauge. They did cycle in the gun perfectly, though. The data on the Hogdon website calls from loads from 3.0 to 3.4 gr on 147 grain bullets, though not coated.
    About to head to the range this afternoon, but wanted some input from the seasoned folks in here.
    Link to bullets here: Bullet link

Many thanks,

Ion

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Maximum COL is 1.169 which is probably why 1.1740 didn't pass the gauge test. Hornady 10th uses COL 1.165 for their 147 FMJRN-BT. They don't have a lead bullet. Have you asked Hoosiers what they recommend?

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Maximum COL is 1.169 which is probably why 1.1740 didn't pass the gauge test. Hornady 10th uses COL 1.165 for their 147 FMJRN-BT. They don't have a lead bullet. Have you asked Hoosiers what they recommend?
    I did not. Will send an email tomorrow, and will hold off shooting these loads for now.
    I always thought that COL has to be started as long as possible, in order to establish a good load. That's why I have measured the COL of my Walther, just to be sure.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Lyman 49 lists one 147 gr lead bullet (#356637) with a COL of 1.058. This site has some info, use at your own risk.

147 has always had questions. Not a lot of answers. Sometimes the bullet manufacturers do respond when asked for load data, not always.

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Interesting thread. Thank you, Rotor!
    " I've loaded a few thousand uncoated MBC bullets with 4.8gr of HS-6 at 1.150". Most 147s are a pretty light shooting load. This one barely had any recoil in my XDs. Hodgdon's online data doesn't have much for lead, but has a lot for FMJs, and all that data has an OAL of 1.100" so keep your loads longer than that and you should be fine"
    Guess I'll give them a try, after all....
    On the burn rate chart, HS-6 is at #40, and Winchester 244 is at 31.

Top Bottom